NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How tough are the 120's really ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 18:27    Post subject: How tough are the 120's really ? Reply with quote

I know the 120's were primarily designed for the SUV crowd, and that 99% of the 120's would hardly ever venture off - road.
more of an urban bruiser.

Perhaps to the camping field when caravaning would be some peoples idea of "off - road"

I plan to drive to Cape Town next year, with  my LC 120, and another Toyota.

Using tarmac sealed roads, and gravel track, with the minimum of "off - road" where do the forum members suggest what should I do to prepare my 120.
G.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 18:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

120s are ok, was in Kenya recently and saw quite a few around and about, try checking Aussie  web sites or even south African sites to see what mods they carry out. I would suggest changing tyres for a good 50/50 tyre, BFG allterains are good, perhaps a snorkel to raise the air intake away from the dust, beyond that its down to carrying spare air/fuel filters, alt and AC belts and sensible tools and kit. You will be surprised by the amount of "normal" cars and vans using the same route , 20+ year old Mercs, Nissans , and Toyota hiace's and Peuogets are common throughout Africa, none of which would pass an MOT here  Laughing . Enjoy your trip, the 120 may not be in the same class as an 70 or 80 series but its at the top of its own class, and probably more comfortable than either for the trip you plan to do. Mr Toyota still makes very good off road cars, better than the rest of the SUV crowd by miles . Very Happy
boonie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember reading somewhere that the 120 was designed with a more rigid body than the colorado makeing it better off road.also before buying my lc5 i read some independant write ups and they all claimed the 120 had lost none of its legendery off road ability but gained more style and more gadgets.as the other member said i would check out some of the aussie sites.
Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one uk_vette Smile

I reckon the 120 to be just as capable as any of its predecessors. Yes it looks a softer 4x4 but does anyone really think that Toyota would allow the reputation of the Land Cruiser to slip…. I don’t think so! Toyota have spent a lot of time and money down the years making the LC into what it is and that is a most capable off-road vehicle which is comfortable and extremely reliable. As has been alluded to earlier, the Australians and South Africans know their off-road cars and all anyone has to do is take a look at the websites to see that the LC is a prized vehicle when choosing a machine of this type. I work with people from both nations and they just cannot speak too highly of the LC Very Happy

Get out into the wide open countryside and enjoy what the LC120 can do
Very Happy

As for spares.... I would consider shock absorbers and brake pads. Maybe a change of oil would not go amiss Confused Oh and maybe a 'plug in' compressor.... not necessarily just to inflate tyres but maybe to be used to clear dust as well from those hard to reach places Confused
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest changing tyres for a good 50/50 tyre, BFG allterains are good, perhaps a snorkel to raise the air intake away from the dust,
I have original fitment Dunlop AT20 Grandtrek's on at the moment.
They are excellent on the road, however the tread lookss like it would soon get stuffed up when driving through the sloppy stuff.
Would I lose much of the refinement by fitting BFG A/T ?

If I decided I  wanted to fit a snorkel, not for wading, but simply to breathe the cleaner air, how would I fit one without cutting the bodywork for fitment?.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

No option that I'm aware of but to cut the wing when fitting a snorkel, most are fitted just to get cleaner air, K&N do replacement filters that are cleanable so you could just fit one of them and clean it when conditions demand.
Tyre's are always a compromise, you will loose a little refinement, you will gain stronger sidewalls, a more agresive tread , and a more puncture resistant tyre.
I have no doubt that your vehicle could make your trip as it is now, it may just be that a few tweaks now will pay you back many times in the wilds of Africa.
What about a cheap set of wheels of e bay and fit your tyres to them, that way when you return you can put the OE wheels and tyres on again. Steel wheels are good as you can bend them straight again if damaged.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:38    Post subject: 120 versus previous Reply with quote

I have had Colorados and a 120 and have taken both well into the realms of off road. I would agree that a set of BFG AT is essential. Several reasons:
Good off road, triguard walls which actually help to stiffen up the cornering a little, plenty tread so you won't have to worry about mileage (I know someone with a Disco that got 107k miles out of a set) and, there are pretty puncture proof. I would add a half liter of the puncture goo (antifreeze and chopped fibres) you really do not want punctures in the wrong environment or at the wrong time.

Off road, they certainly are NOT compromised. They are every bit as good as they should be - but, one weakness in my view over older LCs is the underbody protection. The belly plates are no more than stoneguards really. If you can beef up the sump guard, I would say 'do it'. They're really just tin and I bent mine to hell just reversing out of mud etc. This then caught on the tyre on full lock

Agree with rest of posts. I used to have an airlift bag for jacking mine up - ran off the exhaust. Very quick and handy 'cos the LC doesn't really lend itself to the std hilift jacks like Landies do.

Oh and a towbar is a good idea too. But snorkel? Not really sure. Take a spare element and use the compressor to blow it out regularly perhaps.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbo wrote:
No option that I'm aware of but to cut the wing when fitting a snorkel, most are fitted just to get cleaner air, K&N do replacement filters that are cleanable so you could just fit one of them and clean it when conditions demand.
Tyre's are always a compromise, you will loose a little refinement, you will gain stronger sidewalls, a more agresive tread , and a more puncture resistant tyre.
I have no doubt that your vehicle could make your trip as it is now, it may just be that a few tweaks now will pay you back many times in the wilds of Africa.
What about a cheap set of wheels of e bay and fit your tyres to them, that way when you return you can put the OE wheels and tyres on again. Steel wheels are good as you can bend them straight again if damaged.
Once again, excellent replies, thank you.
So not really wanting to cut the wing, I may forgett the idea of a snorkel, and do as suggested, and take a couple of spare filter elements..
Wheels, now there is a bigger  issue,
Perhaps, I should look more into the type of roads that I would be driving on.
I can fully see the benefit of BFG A/T, they would give me some excellent assurance and piece of mind, also a set of OEM alloys are near on impossible to straiten or repair if they should get damaged.
I think it all comes down to the roads, and more importantly, the distance traveled on the very bad tracks, that I may or may not encounter.
I was also thinking about 4 oversize mud flaps that could be tied up, out the way if I get stuck in mud and need to reverse, I have pulled a few off over the years with them getting trapped under the wheels and in the mud.
Also I hope they will keep some of the larger stones chipping away at the underside of the sill's.
So, wheels and tyres are still an open ended question.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 16:40    Post subject: Re: 120 versus previous Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I have had Colorados and a 120 and have taken both well into the realms of off road. I would agree that a set of BFG AT is essential. Several reasons:
Good off road, triguard walls which actually help to stiffen up the cornering a little, plenty tread so you won't have to worry about mileage (I know someone with a Disco that got 107k miles out of a set) and, there are pretty puncture proof. I would add a half liter of the puncture goo (antifreeze and chopped fibres) you really do not want punctures in the wrong environment or at the wrong time.

Off road, they certainly are NOT compromised. They are every bit as good as they should be - but, one weakness in my view over older LCs is the underbody protection. The belly plates are no more than stoneguards really. If you can beef up the sump guard, I would say 'do it'. They're really just tin and I bent mine to hell just reversing out of mud etc. This then caught on the tyre on full lock

Agree with rest of posts. I used to have an airlift bag for jacking mine up - ran off the exhaust. Very quick and handy 'cos the LC doesn't really lend itself to the std hilift jacks like Landies do.

Oh and a towbar is a good idea too. But snorkel? Not really sure. Take a spare element and use the compressor to blow it out regularly perhaps.

LC
Hi Crusher,
Thanks for the valuable input as far as under body protection.
To be honest,
I have not looked under my 120, but it sounds like you know what your talking about, and have the tee-shirt to prove it.
Did you take your sump guard off, and replace it wit a stronger one, or simply double up with a second sheet steel?
I have an excellent industrial rear towbar fitted, it is not the standard towbar, so, I feel comfortable that it at least "looks the bussiness"
I will post a thread starter in another forum I frequent, and find out the % of tarmac roads, the % of gravel, and the % of realyly *beep* tracks, the ones that will do the damage.

Route planning here
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/route-planning/

4x4 section here
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-tech/
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/4wd-overland-travel/

Graham
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done 34 000km across Africa (Eastern Route) on a brand new set of BFG 285/75 R16's - 1 puncture, and that was caused by driver error.

Graham
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Smith wrote:
Just done 34 000km across Africa (Eastern Route) on a brand new set of BFG 285/75 R16's - 1 puncture, and that was caused by driver error.

Graham
Hi Graham
Is that with a LC3 or similar, or older 90 series?
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 19:58    Post subject: Bash plate Reply with quote

Actually Graham, I did neither. It was a Co car and they wanted it back after 2 years so I bought a quad - Yamaha Kodiak 450 and fitted off road armor to it etc and bought a 90 (see 90 section) instead. I now have an Avensis which would be utterly useless on anything but tarmac.
Do want bigger bash plate for my for 90 though.

Have fun!

LC
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:

Hi Graham
Is that with a LC3 or similar, or older 90 series?

It was an 80 series... but my comment was directed at the tyres.
My front ones are still in mint condition, the rears are a bit chewed up on the corners and edges of the lugs.
I am now a BFG fan.
120man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, stick bonce underneath your vehicle. The chassis you see is very substantial, stiffer than the older versions.

The underbody protection is nominal though. may want to wobble off to TBR and take a look at their 6mm alloy skid plates for the LC 120.

http://4x4shop247.co.uk/www.tbruk.com.html?lang=en-uk&target=d882.html
Roy03

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 21:33    Post subject: Underbody protection Reply with quote

I had TBR fit my 120 with the full underbody kit-3 pieces and they really are well made. another plus point is they do not have to be removed for routine servicing. I have just had my 50,000ml service done at a main dealer and they never mentioned the plates being a problem.
Roy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: