Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What CB?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - all sorted now bar the antenna mount - do I go with a magnetic mount or try and get something that'll bolt to the roof-rails?  Bearing in mind that the roof-rails are a damn silly shape!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know what your roof rails are like but on mine the central support each side is quite a chunky casting when the plastic cover is removed so I drilled a hole through the side of that casting and bolted an L shaped bracket to it to mount the antenna. You can get clamp on mounts that are designed for roof rails though.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can take a bravery pill like I did and drill a hole through your roof.

Fantastic ground plane and if I ever sell the motor, all I will need to find is a rubber grommet.

Did you check out the roof when you bought your car Question
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like mag mounts, the cable will damage your paint work.

I use a gutter mount now with a Mini stinger after trying various options.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecky Thump wrote:
Did you check out the roof when you bought your car Question

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  No - will do so tonight  Laughing  But I suspect the bus never went off-road (except maybe a field somewhere) before I got my paws on it!!

No gutter on the 120, and the two mounts I've got so far don't mount too well to the roof rails  Confused  (I'll soon be able to open my own e-bay shop for antenna mounts  Laughing ) thus the thoughts on the magnetic mount - had one on my old 80 originally for the 29 meg radio, and was convinced it scratched the roof, but then put on a bull bar with an aerial mount on it, so no more worries there.  No bull bar here, though  Crying or Very sad  (yet  Twisted Evil )

I'll carry on looking ...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option might be your front bumper with a suitable bracket from a chassis rail end or other convenient chunk of metal and a hole in the bumper plastic top surface for the mounting stud to poke up through. Are you ever likely to use a roof rack or bars because that's something to consider when putting antenna on the roof. Another option  Laughing - can you bring a bracket off the underside of the bonnet slam panel out through the grill and use that or something like it?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - the bumper.  Jon - I don't call it the 'Barbie bumper' for nothing Confused  Laughing  - 'Made of plastic - looks fantastic!'  Not sure there's anything suitable there, but I'll check.  Why I'm loathe to drill into the bodywork is that there will be a full-length aluminium roof-rack coming along soon(ish) that I want to drill a hole in and put in a permanent mounting.  Need to decide on Roof Tent positioning first, though.

So this is really just a temporary measure - mostly for the weekend.

There's also a proper ARB WINCH bar  Wink on the cards (but much further down the line) that'll have an antenna mount, so future options will be many ...

I'll look at the rear bumper too, but don't think there's anything there aether - may go with something off the tow-bar - but will that not block signal?  Otherwise I'll do a Heath-Robinson on one of the roof-bar mounts i've got to make it work - won't be pretty, but should be solid enough  Twisted Evil

Oh - and the bonnet and grill is an integrated unit that comes down to the bumper, so not much choice there either, I think
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of the front bumper mounts that the Ausies use a lot.

I think they may well be illegal in the UK, the old, coming into contact with pedestrians thing.
I have not seen anything written down but know a lot of traffic cops and when I voiced this idea quite a few said they thought it was illegal.

It may be worth checking if you are thinking of going this route.

Gary
The reason I asked is that, I had my motor a few months when I found two dents in the roof.
Since I turned to 4x4's I don't remember ever checking it.
I will from now on though if and when I ever get another LC.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine mounted on the lamp mounting hoop on my front bumper (it came as an option with the factory Winch mounted on the standard bumper. Have mounted it using a bullbar mount (actually an exhaust clamp and an aluminium plate).

Haven't been stopped yet and had it when on a joint services (Police, Fire, Ambulance, etc) exercise we did as part of 4x4 Response and didn't get any comments. Mind you there is nothing nasty pointing forward, it is all behind the hoop. It is also a long whippy aerial which is unlikely to hurt a pedestrian unless they were 8 feet tall and it poked them in the eye.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, think I may have a plan - either through the front grille (tad flimsy) or I think I can use an existing hex-head bolt in the bottom of one of the roof-rails - will have a go tomorrow in the morning.  Got to go take SWAMBO out to Rhubarb for dinner  Laughing

And no plugged-up holes visible anywhere on the vehicle - phew!

Thanks for all the advice, folks.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just having a rumage in the garage, have you got one of these Diamond roof bar mounts in your collection  Wink

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope  Shocked   and that looks about perfect shape in section, too.  I'll go check flea-bay, then, shall I - or did you get it somewhere else?

You'll have to have a garage sale one of these days, Jon - you'll probably make enough to buy a 40 series for real fun  Laughing

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Diamond K-515 which I don't think I've seen on e bay. I got mine from a local place: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/k515-diamond-roofrail-mounting-bracket-2axis-adjustabl-p-3282.html?osCsid=49e811c535a615d3495fedfc66fdfdda but phone them up and check they actually have them in stock before ordering. I would say leave your credit cards at home before visiting the shop but you're far enough away to be safe from that. I've had loads of stuff off them but if you just order stuff on the web site without checking stock you can end up waiting because they've had to order it in so I tend to go to the shop. Having said that, you can have mine if you want it, just PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post and if it sorts you out we can sort out some sort of payment at Lincomb  Wink and if it doesn't you can just give it back! I don't think it will get to you before Wednesday though even if I post it tomorrow.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you bring it along anyway - I'll phone them on Tuesday and see what they say.  If you can bring yours along, and it works, I'll pay you the same as what it's going for on their web-site, if that's OK?

Cheers

Gary
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Can you bring it along anyway - I'll phone them on Tuesday and see what they say.  If you can bring yours along, and it works, I'll pay you the same as what it's going for on their web-site, if that's OK?

Cheers

Gary
Ok but you won't need to match their price.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: