All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Advice on LPG Amazon please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricouk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 18:05    Post subject: Advice on LPG Amazon please Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking at a 1998 Amazon VX 4.7 with LPG conversion tomorrow. I am new to this whole LPG thingy so I wondered if anyone had any advice for me on what to look for when checking the vehicle over? What sort of MPG can I expect from it?

Many thanks guys.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 18:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:22    Post subject: Flashlube or similar Reply with quote

Apart from the general mechanical state of the car, look for a gadget called a Flashlube or similar which drips special oil into the intake manifold. It's a bit like Redex (UCL) and it helps prevent valve damage. This can seriously limit engine life so the absence of a Flashlube kit or similar is a bad sign.

The downside is that you need to price in a supply of this special oil when working out your running costs.

There is also some question as to the quality of the LPG conversion. If the installation looks a mess; wires and pipes trailing all over the place rather than clipped down and tidy or if the gas tank installation looks like a bodged job - watch out.

The car owner should have an installation certificate stating the the job meets a recognised standard. Have a look here for more information:

http://www.lpga.co.uk/installers.htm

There is also a link to a website listing insurers who cover LPG converted cars. The insurer may want to see the installation certificate before giving cover or may want to see it before paying out on a claim.

You may want to check with the installer regarding the certificate if it's an older car and the current owner doesn't have one.

As to fuel consumption. LPG use is usually about 10% more than petrol if your driving style stays the same.

Willy
Damien4.5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using around 20% more fuel on my 80-series than petrol overall. When the price of petrol dropped to about 82p/L (Novemberish?) my nearest local LPG seller was charging about 55p/L for LPG so when I worked out the savings it was only about £5 over about 70L! That would have taken years to pay back the installation cost. For you the system would already be installed though so you could have savings straight away.

However now petrol has gone back up and I'm using a different fuel station (only when not local though  Sad ) I'm getting the equivalent of about 30 mpg (petrol equivalent) which works out cheaper than the diesels...

I would go for the flashlube although there is some debate on whether this makes a difference because you do run on petrol for a few minutes when you first start the engine (when cold). Long journeys on LPG might make the problem worse though.

The insurance company I'm using didn't want to see the certificate but they did ask if it was done by an authorised installer.
Dark Dude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the conversion is a Prinns, buy it! To date I haven't seen a poor Prinns LPG conversion and trust me, I've seen plenty of (none Prinns) bad ones.....

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: