Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

some info needed on 80 series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul4400

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:03    Post subject: some info needed on 80 series Reply with quote

Hello we are about to buy a 1994 80 series 4.2 td landcruiser, having never owned such a vehicle are there anything we need to be looking for ??? its done 112000 miles and has 2 major services (winter, summer) at a garage a year and the owner has changed the oil every 2500 miles

Also it has ESP ???? and another switch with ECT on it next to the stereo
which i have no idea what they are for.
Sat nav is coming out as its no use to us and its being fitted with a new cd mp3, its £500 more with the sat nav but its no use to us and we would rather have the decent stereo instead, will try to post a image of the dash and any info that you can provide on the switches and what spec you think the vechicle is would be helpfull, we thought they were all the same and didnt realise that there were more than one model, it is a uk 7 seater and we are looking at about £5500 which seems ok to us ??

thanks paul& jules Very Happy

Last edited by paul4400 on Thu Apr 21, 2005 19:49; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing the ESP maybe active suspension or traction control, sorry haven't got that on my '93. The ECT is dual mode electronic transmission. If you press it you will see the power button light in the dash just under the gear indicator, this holds the gearbox in gear longer for a more sporty drive.

Also known as sport/economy mode on some other makes.

Look for noisy transmission (transmission whine), noisy bottom end of the engine (rare) and saggy springs if it has been used for towing - also the fronts get a bit tired with age.

Apart from that you are buying a bomb proof motor and at 112K it's only just run in - the engines can last well over 300K with no problems.
schmoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt this the one on e bay?
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
paul4400

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 19:47    Post subject: toyota Reply with quote

It is on e-bay, looks a nice truck and seems to be well looked after..
schmoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its the same one then the aircon unit is missing and needs refitting

however this may not be the case now as i saw this a couple of weeks ago

if its not a biggie to refit one then go for it Smile

im still trying to sell my landie to buy a 80!
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
paul4400

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 21:27    Post subject: toyota Reply with quote

Yes its the same one,we have a 2nd hand a/c unit priced up for £175 Very Happy
Whats it like in the flesh then as we wont get to see it till after the weekend, the owner seems a very nice person and has sent us loads of pics of every part of the truck.

Its our first venture into 4x4 trucks, our last car was a mitsubishi evo 5 rally type car 8)

thanks paul & jules

Very Happy Very Happy
500SEC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice this one has the diff lock switch on the dash. i looked at one last weekend that didn't have this, except a blank panel where it normally is. It was an auto Jap import VX (with television !!).

What month / year did the 80 series get replaced by 100 series ? Are there any 1998 version out there ?

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
paul4400

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you look on the forum they mention that the jap imports dont have the lockable diffs. Not sure if the tv will work, most of the jap import places, when we had the evo, removed any tv's that were in them because they said they didnt work in this contry, due to the wrong bandwidth.
I think the 80 series runs from 1990-1997 poss early 1998 but not 100% certain. Smile Thanks Paul & Jules
schmoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

jap imports sometimes have the difflock switch on the dash

i think anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: