NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Veg oil in my Landcruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevie43_uk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55    Post subject: Veg oil in my Landcruiser Reply with quote

Hi All,

After speaking with a few members who have tried veg oil in their LCs, I decided to
have a go.

I gradually added jerrycans of 50/50% veg oil and dino diesel to the tank to see how she would
cope.I have had no problems until out on the motorway and she started to die when applying
revs anywhere above 2000rpm.

I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the lines and she's ok..... I decided to carry on with
100% dino (mainly because veg oil is now £1.15 / litre !!), but a week ago I tried again with
a 50/50 mix and lo and behold, the same problem occured.

Question is.......do LCs suffer with a 50/50 mix or can bugs and algae grow in the tank.

Is there an easy way to peer in the tank to check that I don't have a big gelatinous mass
sitting there peering back out at me, preventing the fuel pump from doing its job !!

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has had a go.....looking at the price of veg oil
it seems hardly worth risking damage to the engine...(seen it for 89p/litre)

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ian-P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I would be reluctant to run my 80 on SVO without having a twin tank and some form of heat exchanger fitted. Read my post here Oil Polymerisation for an idea of what could happen.

I've had diesel bug twice, and use Grotamar71 for prevention. As far as looking into your tank, if you've an 80 Series, you'll have to take the back seats out, and pull the carpet up.

Good luck.

Regards, Ian.
Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention the price of veg oil as £1.15 litre.Are we talking raw veg oil here or bio deisel made from veg oil? I've been running 50/50 bio deisel (also paying £1.15 litre) and pump deisel mix for a while now without any problems so far.Raw unrefined (new) veg oil is much cheaper but I've read/heard there are long term engine issues with the glycerine content so personally I'm not prepared to risk it.

If you are mixing bio with dino deisel you should not have problems with deisel bug as the dino deisel is toxic to the bacteria that cause it.Apparently as little as 5%  concentration is enough.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
trapper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have being runing my 80/24v on 50/50 used veg oil since last july no problem just filter it mix it add to tank getting for free at the moment so work out at 65p per litre
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

with pump prices as they are i am seriously looking into veg oil as a fuel

(I succesfully ran a 4.2 RR on LPG for 5 years till i replaced with a LC80 4.2TD)

am I correct in my basic assumptions that

1 SVO is esseintially what I would call "pump" diesel albeit made from a non petrol source -- and should run without much problem on a standard fuel setup may be with a small mix with bit of petroleum based diesel

2 to really get the advantage of cheap fuel you can use veg oil bought straight from Tesco's or Makro's etc -- in which case you need some sort of twin tank system to separate the two fuels and allow a method to heat the veg oil before delivering to the fule system (maybe still adding a bit of petroleum based diesel to kill and organic bugs)

these guys (mention in an earlier post) http://www.smartveg.com/ seem to do a pretty good kit -- woth investigation

cheers

James
Ian-P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVO = Straight Vegetable Oil
As far as I know, Diesel Bug will grow in pump diesel if there is water present. The marine industry and pleasure boats use additives to combat it in their diesel.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian's right. SVO is oil from Tesco etc and WVO (Waste Veg Oil) is the same oil but from a chippy with bits of haddock floating in it. I run mine on SVO mixed in the tank with derv. I don't have a second tank, nor will I be spending hundreds of pounds on a system to run 2 fuels. Didn't think too much of it to be honest. It only needs heating if you use 100% SVO and if it's particularly cold. I experimented with a bottle of derv and some oil. Mixing it to see at which point it thins out. It doesn't need that much derv at all. 50 50 should be no issue at all. I'd go as far as 90 10 in a good summer

Filtering WVO through the gusset of yer Wife's frillies is not enough. It has saturated fats etc in it. Not good for the engine. It will run - yes, but how long for is another question.

You can make your own biofuel from WVO. See the WWW for that. There are reports of people paying as little as 10p for WVO. If you can get that it's worth setting up. As I see it. it is possible to get really badly made bio, not good as it still has the reagents in it from the process. Making your own is viable if you've a source - say your own chip shop, running SVO is not a problem in older engines and if you run some cruddy old shed that you don't care about the WVO, a funnel and your Lass's knickers are all you need.
stevie43_uk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well described Landcrusher !!

Must say I had a good laugh reading your post

Cheers Mate
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah so i,m talking out of my backside (wont be the first time)

SVO is just an three letter abbreviation for plain Veg oil that you can buy in any supermarket, presumably then this is never available thru the pumps on a forecourt

and is it OK then to pour a gallon or so of the stuff in a half full tank of normal forecourt diesel.
Towpack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunflower oil,Rapeseed oil,Nut oil,all come under the SVO banner.The only issue with running your car on these is the glycerine content which your engine is NOT designed to burn.If it was there would be no market for refined bio deisel.just my opinion.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
VXnotforsale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all far to scary and risky in my opinion. As Landcrusher said if you don't care too much about your engine then it's a great idea but theres a guy a couple of villages away who makes his own and in just a year I've noticed he's had four diesel vehicles. Now this could be because he just likes a change of vehicle on a regular basis but I'm wondering if he's maybe just running them into the ground and buying a new one every few months.

I've seriously thought about alternative fuels for mine but I think that no matter how much money you'd save it's not worth the seriously expensive risk of damaging your engine.
kayamtom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running on bio-diesel (the recycled cooking oil stuff) for the last 10,000 miles and had zero problems.  It is a cleaner fuel so at first there was a little more smoke but a new fuel filter after first 1,000 miles then the usual intervals and she going a winner.  

Getting friendly with whoever produces it may save you paying the duty for a cash sale and get you properly refined bio-fuel at nearly half the price.  This often works out for all concerned so it is well worth asking. Don't ask don't get.

Most mechanics will have a good moan and express their scepticism about bio-diesel but I expect they did the same thing when 4star petrol was phased out.  Just as long as they've something to harp on about...

It is a wise move to go 50/50 bio/derv in the colder months for sure and maybe a little more of the derv during particularly cold spells.

Any savings made now (lecreditcrunchblahblah) have got to be a bonus and being able to be smug about the old carbon footprint effort it most satisfactory indeed.

happy guzzling

t
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: