4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Roof rack & roof tent

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Group buys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 0:34    Post subject: Info on 80 gear Reply with quote

Info and prices on gear for the 80 would be much appreciated

Thanks

Chris
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 0:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can scrounge when I am out there!!
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi from sunny SA...

Went to Frontrunner's factory today - quite impresssive I must say. Louis took me on a tour which was quite interesting - saw the full manufacturing process from raw material to pressure testing of fuel tanks etc.

I took a few photos, not many to be honest, but I was really interested in the build quality of the roof rack and roof tents.
I got a few pic's of the tents - Frontrunner and Eeziawn.
There really is not a hell of a lot in it as far as the tents go. There are pro's and cons of both.
The roof rack looks and feels really solid, I didn't take any photo's, but as part of the factory tour I saw the 'goods out' area, and it was absolutely stacked with roof racks outbound (says enough for me).

The roof tents:-

Pro's
Frontrunner:-
light (38kgs)
big side vents
fine mozzie net
folding section (I'll point this out in the photo's) seals a lot better
Doors zip up completely - on bottom as well
easy shower-skirt attachment
mattress is not full length so you can store your shoes at the base of the bed instead of on the bed

Eeziawn:
Side vents large - mozzie net zips down as well
Additional bars for rigidity on folding down section to ladder
Feels more solid in general to be totally honest (guess a heavy material will that effect!!)
Mozzie net is very solid and double skinned

Cons:
Frontrunner:-
Almost feels too light, but I guess this just the material it is made from
Imported - so subject to strength of Rand (Price may fluctuate more)
Holes where the side overhang poles fit in to are not as good as the Eeziawn
Mozzie net is thin

Eeziawn:-
Heavy (1.4m version weights 68kgs)
Mozzie net holes seem a bit big (maybe the mozzies are that much bigger Smile
Bottom of door does not seal completely
Area around the poles does not seal completely
Bed fits entire floor space (no space for shoes etc.)

Pics below...

FRONTRUNNER

EEZIAWN

toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

Took a trip to Eeziawn the day after I went to Frontrunner to see what they have to say.

With regards to the gap in the hinge, you can velcro it up, I didn't spot this when I was at Frontrunner.
The lack of zip along the bottom of the entrance area was argued away saying that it is too easy to snag when getting into and out of the tent which is a pretty good point thinking about it. The mattress is laid over the bottom of the mozzie net to alay this.

I was a busy chappie indeed - at my home town I went to a local camping shop, and they are Howling moon distributors, so naturally I had a look at this as well, very similar to Eeziawn to be honest, except the mozzie net is not as robust as Eeziawns, but they have a new tent called the Stargazer which seems a pretty cool idea - the roof of the tent can be rolled back so you can...... yup you guessed it.
Howling moon was a bit more expensive, but I can't remember what the price was - about R8500 I think. I did have a price list but it got full of blood   angryfire

Hhhmm yes my trip was not without incident, I got attacked by a bunch of white kids the night before I came back to the UK, and I am now sporting a nice gash in my forehead - but apparently 'chicks love scars'  Very Happy

I got some brochures from Frontrunner but they aren't great to be honest - if anyone is desperate to see one, PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post for you.

FYI - The Rand is said to be quite overvalued and reports in Bloomberg and Reuters predict a 'correction' - so I'm hanging there a bit longer hoping to score!!

Are people happy with this??

There is a chain in SA called 4x4MegaWorld, and what a great store, you can walk out with EVERYTHING you ever wanted - bullbars, winches, fishing rods, tents, storage systems you name they have it, and cool things you wouldn't think of as well.
I got some recovery straps, tree protectors, snatch ropes, winch extensions - all for about 40% less than in the UK-  my luggage was a bit heavier on the way back  Laughing
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

I would be interested in the auxilliary fuel tank for the Colorado and in the roof rack.  

Not sure about the roof tent as I would need a family tent and as a result would not be able to load anything else (2nd spare wheel) on the rack.

Sorry to hear about your incident down in SA.

regards,

Reinhard
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope your injury is healing.

I have just brought in a load of spare parts from Dubai for myself and a few forum members.  As you have discovered the savings are huge.  The hidden costs to watch for are all the customs clearance ones.  And don't forget they charge VAT on the total of the goods, shipping cost, import duty and clearance charges  Evil or Very Mad

I like the look of the Howling Moon Stargazer.  Can you please try and get a price indication?

Cheers

Ian
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reinhard/Ian,

Wound has all but healed....

Ian,

I got commodity codes etc, and on the kit we are bringing in, most of it is duty free as there is a trade agreement between South Africa and the UK - not many importers disclose this little gem. Bringing the kit airfreight minimises clearance charges significantly, but yeah I was aware of those 'Gordon Brownisms'
What did you bring in Ian??

The £ has tanked as you know, so I'll wait 'til after Christmas before I bring the stuff in. The trip is planned for the end March - so the drop dead time is probably end Jan.

Howling Moon prices - These are from a Distributor in Pietermaritzburg so going direct may be slightly cheaper but don't bank on it..

1.2m Delux- R7030.00
1.4m Delux - R7525.00
1.6m Delux - R8780.00

1.2m Tourer- R7945.00
1.4m Tourer- R8495.00
1.6m Tourer- R9200.00

1.2m Shower Room- R775.00
1.4m Shower Room- R785.00
1.6m Shower Room- R845.00

1.2m Extension- R1595.00
1.4m Extension- R1805.00
1.6m Extension- R2055.00

Stargazer on a 1.4 Delux is an extra +- R1000

Remember all these prices are inclusive of South African VAT - so subtract 14% from these prices - but remember you have to add the UK VAT at 17.5% (Gordon will probably drop this in the next few weeks hopefully  Very Happy  ) - then there's the shipping etc, but look further back in the post for ideas on that...

Howling Moon Dealer in SA
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the HM pricing

toafrica wrote:

What did you bring in Ian??

Genuine Toyota spare parts.  Stuff that is stupidly expensive here,  typically about 50% off UK main dealer prices even after VAT. freight and import duty.

Cheers

Ian
hairdo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi we are selling our whole Landy 110 expedition ready vehicle. We have a full length frontrunner expedition roofrack plus 2.4m Howling Moon tourer with all fittings plus table which slider under rack plus aluminium awning. Obviously this is all on a 110 LWB so don't know how transferable it is to a Landcruiser.
The rooftent has been used for less than a weeks camping - we had changed a 1.4m HM tent for this as we had a baby and needed more room. but since having a child have not used the set up much and thinking of getting a campervan while she is young. we would not hesitate to go back to having a rooftent when kids older as apart from anything they are loads of fun. We also have water tank, fridge, 110 aluminium draw, cubby box. Engel 40l fridge with slide and cover which we may not sell  unless someone buys the vehicle....feel free to get in touch and we'll let you know prices.
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting anything but this was for a number of reasons......
The trip is going to be delayed for at least 18 months, as I have to unexpectedly redirect funds to the purchase of a pram and other baby stuff instead of my roof racks - for some odd reason Smile

We are still going to do the trip when the maggot is about a year old - so if anyone else wants to run with this in the meantime fell free to...
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know you guys were looking at importing stuff from SA - I have a friend there who's been putting my order together - he's a proper vendor, and is passing along a lot of his discount to me (list price less at least 7.5%).

I'm sure he'll be more than happy to increase the order for other stuff, so if anyone wants to add stuff, now's the time.  He deals in Hannibal, Howling Moon, Eazi Awn, FrontRunner, National Luna (great fridges), Waeco and Engel - and ALL the things I've priced are WAAAAAY cheaper than here.  If we can get a big enough order, I've another friend  Wink  who runs an import / export business and freight clearing business I'm going to use - if we can get a small container load we'll be laughing....

Let me know - I'm in no big rush (still putting the pennies together) but considering the HowlingMoon tent (which the members of the SA Cruiser Forum rate as the best available - that or Hannibal / EaziAwn) is now almost £1500 from Trek I'm tempted to do the deal sooner rather than later - the Rand - £ exchange rate is always reasonably good....

Cheers
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gary, thats also good news.
Another avenue to spend my hard earned money down.
So, thats it, another burning hole in my pocket. Rolling Eyes
Olazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Didn't know you guys were looking at importing stuff from SA - I have a friend there who's been putting my order together - he's a proper vendor, and is passing along a lot of his discount to me (list price less at least 7.5%).

I'm sure he'll be more than happy to increase the order for other stuff, so if anyone wants to add stuff, now's the time.  He deals in Hannibal, Howling Moon, Eazi Awn, FrontRunner, National Luna (great fridges), Waeco and Engel - and ALL the things I've priced are WAAAAAY cheaper than here.  If we can get a big enough order, I've another friend  Wink  who runs an import / export business and freight clearing business I'm going to use - if we can get a small container load we'll be laughing....

Let me know - I'm in no big rush (still putting the pennies together) but considering the HowlingMoon tent (which the members of the SA Cruiser Forum rate as the best available - that or Hannibal / EaziAwn) is now almost £1500 from Trek I'm tempted to do the deal sooner rather than later - the Rand - £ exchange rate is always reasonably good....

Cheers

Hi Gary,

Have sent you a PM
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many folk are now interested - seems to be 3 or 4 of us so far...

I've had a mail back from my buddy in Jo'burg to say he is now registered in SA for export purposes for VAT.  This means he can issue a 0% VAT invoice, on the strength of shipping to the UK being paid in SA.  We would then be liable for UK VAT on the cleared value, plu shipping, charges, brokerage, bonded warehouse costs, if any, yadda yadda yadda...

So maybe we can pool the shopping list and I'll get a formal qupte and then people can opt in or out?

Once interest is determined, we can take this off-forum if necessary, to save bandwidth!

Cheers
Bosvark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary

I'm interested in a few things. I'm looking for a roof tent, roof rack, awning and fridge/freeze.

I have not look into any detail of any of the above, but need atlease a 50Lt fridge/freezer, a full length roof rack, not fussy about brand as long as it is a good quality one. The tents I'm toying with the ideal of a 3 person and 2 person depending on cost.
Any suggestions welcome.
So count me in on this group buy.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Group buys All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: