4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Running an 80 with vegetable oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilesmark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 19:43    Post subject: Running an 80 with vegetable oil Reply with quote

Hi all

Now back from my travels half way around the world and back in my 1990 80 series 4.2 TD and feeling the pinch whenever I fill up at UK prices.  I don't plan to keep it that much longer, but while I do could anyone please tell me the maximum ratio of vegetable oil to diesel I can get away with using without modifying the engine/fuel system AND without damaging anything?  

Thanks

Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 19:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
6 months ago it was worth it to run on veggie oil.
New vegie oil was 50 pence a liter.
Now its just the same price as diesel.

I just wouldn't be bothered.
ilesmark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

But assuming I could get veggie oil in bulk for, say, 80 p per litre?  I am willing to try!

As the Tesco ad says - "every little helps"
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find some at 80p can you get me some too please? UK_vette is right about the costings, but if you do many many miles, it's worth it if there is sufficient differential. If you only use a small amount of oil, SVO it really really isn't worth the time that it takes to get it into your tank. You are only diluting diesel.

I ran mine (1KZ-TE) on up to 70% SVO with no problem - it sailed through it's MOT too. Very good figures. There are many schools of thought on this. You have to weigh up the advice and make your choice. Some say you MUST modify and fit a separate tank with a heater. Some say run it on SVO 100% when it's warm weather and 50% in Winter. Some say you can't do it at all and some say, use old oil but run it through an old sock to get the chip bits out.

I used to run up to Scotland on oil, then use more derv to run around then come back on oil. Ran fine, but used to start better on derv. As it was all stop start up there, I thought it best to not push it.

However, would I have any worry about filling up with, say 80% and driving 5000 miles? No. none at all. Would I fill a brand new 120 Invincible on the stuff - no. I wouldn't. I have 2 x 20 litre cans in the back of mine. Both oil with a little derv to thin it out. It's much less unpleasant then diesel when you spill it.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilesmark wrote:
But assuming I could get veggie oil in bulk for, say, 80 p per litre?  I am willing to try!

As the Tesco ad says - "every little helps"
me to, put me down for 1000 L @ £0.80

LOL.
In UK I used to run the 120 on 20% new veggie oil with 80% diesel.
Until I used a different fuel.

In Norway, Oslo, fuel is pro-rata cheaper here than UK. so not needed any oil.
bobafat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks, currently run my surf on 100% veg, they have it at cost co for 77ppl, and it seems to be coming down every time i go for the last few weeks,  the good times are only round the corner  Smile

although i have noticed the smaller shop havent budged on there prices, still 1.30 a litre!!!
Bat21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there a definitive answer on this one, can a 92 12v 4.2d run on SVO with no mods?

I know someone who used to run a 93 Y60 4.2d Patrol on SVO with NO modifications, he told me the motor was quieter and smoother.

Of course the main reason for wanting to run on such fuel is to reduce my carbon foot print  Wink
konio-nt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bat21 - yes definitive answer to your question is YES - at least up to 80 series. I was running Hilux and my 80 series Landcruiser on 60/40, sometimes 70/30 mix of oil/diesel without any problems.
Used veg oil supposed to be even better. I have supplier around Poole area, he is filtering oil to 1 micron, got 700 litres out of him and burned half of it till now. My Landcruiser is very happy to run on it, except cold morning, when he need to cough for like a 1-2 minutes before warming up a bit. My missus have metalwork company and I did ask one of her engineers to sort me out fuel heater, which would use engine coolant to warm up veg oil. Apparently veg oil is burning cleanest at around 85 degrees. Once I will get one of those (made especially for 80 series) I will hang around on 80/20 mix to see how Landie will handle it.
Bloke's e bay auction number is 180445589286.

Very nice person to deal with and oil is really well filtered, I have 200 litres transparent barrel sitting in my unit for over 2 months and no *beep* at the bottom.

Regards
Konrad

PS. Sometimes ASDA is doing promotion for KC veg oil - 10 pounds for 15 litres Very Happy
surfponto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 0:37    Post subject: Hello from the U.S. Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just found this thread. Sorry I know it is old but I was intrigued with the idea of running my HZJ80 with a partial SVO blend.
I run B-50 BioDiesel but even that has gone up in price here.
Will start my search for bulk veggie oil

Thanks for the information

Bob
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

konio-nt wrote:
@Bat21 - yes definitive answer to your question is YES - at least up to 80 series. I was running Hilux and my 80 series Landcruiser on 60/40, sometimes 70/30 mix of oil/diesel without any problems.
Used veg oil supposed to be even better. I have supplier around Poole area, he is filtering oil to 1 micron, got 700 litres out of him and burned half of it till now. My Landcruiser is very happy to run on it, except cold morning, when he need to cough for like a 1-2 minutes before warming up a bit. My missus have metalwork company and I did ask one of her engineers to sort me out fuel heater, which would use engine coolant to warm up veg oil. Apparently veg oil is burning cleanest at around 85 degrees. Once I will get one of those (made especially for 80 series) I will hang around on 80/20 mix to see how Landie will handle it.
Bloke's e bay auction number is 180445589286.

Very nice person to deal with and oil is really well filtered, I have 200 litres transparent barrel sitting in my unit for over 2 months and no *beep* at the bottom.

Regards
Konrad

PS. Sometimes ASDA is doing promotion for KC veg oil - 10 pounds for 15 litres Very Happy

Is that your 80 series on e bay for sale?

http://www.e bay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-80-VX-4-2TD-/140907331731?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20cebb4093

Does it run well with the veggie oil?

vette
Martin12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a neighbour who used to get used veg oil from chippies (as in fish and chip joints). He would then filter it and make a mix with new veg oil and use that for all his vehicles. Generally, there was a bit of smoke on ignition, but otherwise the mix seemed to work pretty well.
Arriva911

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 16:37    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

[quote="Martin12"]I had a neighbour who used to get used veg oil from chippies (as in fish and chip joints). He would then filter it and make a mix with new veg oil and use that for all his vehicles. Generally, there was a bit of smoke on ignition, but otherwise the mix seemed to work pretty well.[/quote

i ran my 98 td 90 series 1kzte soley on vegie oil no diesel and runs perfect if u go on a rd trip and even round the streets.people say it does ur fuel pump any good but guess wot its still running fine.
when winter was approching i just changed my fuel filter and returned to diesel.

p.s got my veggie oil from china twn in a 20ltr drum for £12 as just got a funnel and pored straight in and at no point altered the engine.

HOPE THIS HELPS OTHER MEMBERS Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: