Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Africa Overland spares advice needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 60 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 18:22    Post subject: Africa Overland spares advice needed. Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a 1984 hj60 and it seems fine.  My wife and I are not mechanics and have no experience with these vehicles.  We are asking if anyone can advise us on what spares we should take on a 15,000 mile trip on rough roads.  Does anyone have spares to sell?

We also wondered if there was any one out there who has a day to spare and wants to make a few quid giving us a bit of training in the kinds of things we'll need to know for the trip.  We can travel..

All the best

Marcus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 18:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally ,if they are well serviced they will go 15000 miles and much more without needing parts.
The parts I would be taking are
filters
fuses
tyre repair kit
fan belts
some plastic or shade cloth(for broken windscreen)
light bulbs
switches
electrical wire and connections hoses.
You might want to take some spare injectors but if you have good filters and they have been serviced they are good for 60000 miles
I would also be taking epoxy putty,fencing wire,fuel line and duct tape to repair things rather  than trying to guess which part will let you down.

The really good thing about these old beasts,is that it takes a lot to stop them once they are running. You can start them in 1st and change gears without a clutch if you have to.

I would take a good look at the engine and drive train and replace any components you dont feel 100% about.

I would have the clutch replaced (unless it was done recently)
The alternator and starter tested.
The fuel injectors and pump serviced.
All filters and hoses and fluids replaced. (any good used hoses to be taken as spares)
If the roads are going to be really rough,you need to look at getting the springs and bushes and bushs checked.
The steering needs to be thoroughly check over.
The coolant sytem fully checked with a new radiator if its still the original.

Getting some instruction from someone who has done these trips is a good idea;)
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran parallel (during our Trans-Africa) with a 60 series - never missed a beat, and apart from routine servicing did not need to be touched.
It had done 430 000km prior to this trip, and has spent the past year in Tanzania with no problems.

So I second Roscoe's comments.

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
marcus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.  Did you sell it in Tanzania Graham?
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - they are working on a project in Tanzania.

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
afriglenn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 15:01    Post subject: overland tip Reply with quote

one of the most useful on the road repair items is an old innertube ,cut into strips you can fix just about any hose, tie stuff back on etc, soft fencing wire is also a goodie.

when are you planing your trip or have you already gone!!!
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add an assortment of metric nuts and bolts. This needn't be a big pile just a couple of each of the obvious sizes.

The other thing that will get you out of a fix is some stuff called Bradex Easy Start. It's an aerosol of ether. If you spray a bit into the air intake, the engine will start on the ether. Don't use it if it is not needed as it doesn't do the engine any good. However, it will get a worn or sick engine running when nothing else will. It works with petrol engines as well. The ether only needs a compression ratio above 5:1 for it to burn and turn the engine - even if the electrics are in a poor state.

Good luck

Willy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 60 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: