4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Spare a pound guv' ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Club News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:33    Post subject: Spare a pound guv' ? Reply with quote

OK ... if you were reading this post BEFORE I moved it to 'Small Talk', then it's pretty certain you've already 'done your bit' for the Club - you're a LifeTime Member! Smile

You can get your LifeTime Membership in the Club Shop <-- Click to link

Once you're there, click on the < Toyota Landcruiser (Prado) > link on the left and you're there thumbright

The thing is, I'm really not sure about the best way to broach this subject and I thought the 'Private member's Chat' area was as good a place as any to start!

Late last week, I received the renewal notice from For Linux for the server I lease to run the Yellow Diamond Clubs. Shocked

OK - your first reaction is likely to be Shocked how much!?!? Shocked You can do it cheaper than that Simon!!!

Trust me - I've looked at all sorts of options and for the level of service and support - no I can't ... just over £300 a month is a pretty good deal!

OK ... if you're still reading, then you may be thinking "OK ... so what do you want? Surely, that's covered by the LTM's, online sales, Yellow Diamonds, 'contributions etc etc?"

The thing is ... sadly - no - it's not.

The annual server fees aren't covered and the same is true for the events / club liability insurances etc too ... (around £500 has come in over the last 12 months from collections / fundraisers at various events - the insurances cost me around £1500 pa!)

Part of the problem is the apparent reluctance of Club Members to contribute financially towards the cost of providing the free services here - after all - isn't that the point - it's FREE!!!

Well ... no Sad  Over the years that I've been running the Clubs, they have been sponsored almost exclusively by myself, through my Ltd Company - it's only over the last 18 months that LTM's have come in - there's a big backlog in the company accounts!!

And it gets worse!  So far this month, I've had ONE new LTM - a newbie over on MDOCUK! Shocked

Hopefully ... you're still reading?

OK ... it's true ... as I say, if you're reading this, then you may have already helped financially and, truthfully, it has helped to keep the Clubs afloat - until now.

Some of you will know, I've been out of work for the last 9 months - my company pot has run dry.  I'll be honest - I have NO idea where the money is going to come from to fund the next 12 months server fees and various Club insurance policies.

I MAY be able to negotiate a monthly payment schedule with ForLinux BUT I currently get 12 months for the price of 10 - the price per month WILL go up if I pay monthly.

Alternatively, I need to raise some money PDQ!

So ... I guess what I need from you now is some sort of constructive ideas on how I can raise £5000 by the second week of October?

My first thought ...

If every member of TLOCUK sent just £1 this would pay for half of the next year's server fees - put this with the money that could come in from the other YD clubs and we could be looking at a HUGE pot of money in the 'YD Club fund' Shocked ... future fees, club gear, discount bar / food at club meets, money to allow me to take some time out to perform forum upgrades etc ... the list goes on.

£1.00

Just a quid (more if you like!) in an envelope, (preferably not Paypal! Although - you can 'gift' money now Rolling Eyes ), to :

Landcruiser Owners Club
Companies House
Ringwood Road
Bransgore
Christchurch
Dorset
BH23 8JQ

OR paypal : admin@pocuk.com (sorry - it's the only one I have that relates to the Clubs!)

Is less than 2p a week too much to ask from each member to keep the Clubs running?

I sincerely hope that this post is taken in the spirit it's intended ... It's just a request to help me to keep the Clubs running ... not to open a whole can of worms about committees, club constitutions, balance sheets etc etc.

In the first instance - I'm just looking for ideas.

If you can spare a quid (or more) - all the better.

Thank you.

Simon Confused

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon

I sympathise with your money problems.

I was wondering is you could get any support from Toyota GB? The problem is that this would put the forum at the mercy of their marketing 'persons'. However, we all seem to think that our LCs are the best thing on the road so there shouldn't be a big problem.

Alternatively, and this will look a bit barmy but what about running the operation as a charity? This gives you several advantages. The insurance companies are inclined to look favourably on the operation, you can then get access to quite a lot of public funds, you can avoid VAT on some activities, etc. I worked for a committee running a village hall which operated on this basis and it was much easier than operating as a sole trader or limited company.

You would need to convince the Charity Commissioners that this is of benefit to a 'community' but while we are widely distributed we are a community of sorts.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Please keep the feedback coming on this problem because I would hate to see this club disappear. I know this is a bit impersonal but the email/web forum does maintain an informal relationship.

Willy
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Willy!

Great news so far ... just under £400 raised across the Yellow Diamond Clubs in the first 2 days!

This really is very encouraging!

Thank you all!

Simon

notworthy

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 20:53    Post subject: Utterly clueless Reply with quote

Simon, having never been associated with hosting an interweb, net, thing, whatever, I had no idea that it actually cost real beer tokens. Don't ask me how I thought that it did work, but probably advertising and sponsors or pixies possibly. It sounds like a lot to me. But I will have a look in my wallet and see what I can shake out. The forum has become a hobby along with the Cruiser and I'd hate to see it go.

Sorry, I didn't even know that we had 'Club' events. I know that members get together but officially? Like we have a stand or something?  Where? There's a bar? I certainly had no knowledge of your personal circumstances. Very sorry to hear that you are 'in between' jobs. What do you do?

LC
Nasher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

I lurk around this forum a bit whilst I'm still looking to buy my first LC.
Like you work hasn't been stable recently, so many plans have gone on hold, I'm gathering info at the moment so that when I do buy a 100 series Amazon I know what to look for.

I do however contribute to another forum a lot, one that covers my main interest in life - RIBs. Thats a type of boat for those that don't know.

Have a look at this link to see how the funds are raised.
I gladly pay each year because of the many benefits I get, and the support when I have a problem.
I look on it as a club membership, a social thing, although we do spend a lot of time actually together on cruises or down the pub etc away from the internet.
I suppose you could say we support the forum owner in the same way we would pay yearly dues to a normal boat club.

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18835

Because of the information I'm gathering from this site I'd gladly join up, however for the time being I presume a tenner in an envelope to the address given would help.

Nasher.
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasher,
Your link was very interesting - just goes to show that Lifetime membership to the LC Owners Club is pretty darn good value at £25!! I think we get most of the benefits you listed on this forum AND for free!

It appears that there would be some interest in supporting a club stand at events such as 4x4 shows and country fairs, so perhaps if the club could get some kind of charity status, getting a stand at these events would be affordable and a great opportunity to raise some funds? I imagine that buying/renting a stand at these events on a straight commercial basis is probably not too cheap but I am sure there'd be a discount for charities.

I hope everyone has a good weekend - weather looks decent for once!

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v

Last edited by Desperatezulu on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:14; edited 1 time in total
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nasher ...

thanks for the link - I like the look of that - nice and simple - easy to manage too!!

As for the donation ... sure - that'll be fine - and very gratefully received - Thank You!

Thanks to each of you who have contributed so far!

Simon

notworthy

100rob
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,  I learnt alot on this forum when looking for my 100 and have learnt a whole lot more since!!!!  It's also saved me a bit of dollar Very Happy !!  So, i'm overdue for a LTM, can I add a donation to it or on a separate cheque????

Thanks, Rob.
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

100rob wrote:
Hi Simon,  I learnt alot on this forum when looking for my 100 and have learnt a whole lot more since!!!!  It's also saved me a bit of dollar Very Happy !!  So, i'm overdue for a LTM, can I add a donation to it or on a separate cheque????

Thanks, Rob.

Thanks Rob notworthy

Sure - you can just add to it Wink

ATB

Simon

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been paid, something sent.

Let us know if there are any developments in the forecast.

Many thanks

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen mention of 'Yellow Diamond Clubs' in a couple of places but I've no idea what they are. I have space and spare bandwidth on one of my servers if you just need somewhere to host some club domains.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
I've seen mention of 'Yellow Diamond Clubs' in a couple of places but I've no idea what they are. I have space and spare bandwidth on one of my servers if you just need somewhere to host some club domains.

Cheers matey ...

The Yellow Diamond Clubs are the group of 4x4 Clubs that I 'run'.

The server space is a generous offer, but honestly - the requirement for a dedicated server came about around 5 years ago ... and we've grown a LOT since then.

Don't forget, it's not just the server I'm paying for, but the support too!!!

I've looked at other options but, if they don't get you one way, they get you another!! FastHosts for example - very reasonable server fees, but their support is £60.00 per HALF HOUR (or part) Shocked  35 minutes hands-on support will cost £120.00!!!! Shocked Shocked

Simon Cool

toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 5 minutes ago I am now a Lifetime Member - no getting rid of me now Smile - I feel better already...
toafrica
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

and some Yellow Diamond stickers too......

I only saw this post tonight!!

You always take these forums for granted, and don't appreciate the time and expense it costs - hope my little bit helps.

Andrew
tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew notworthy

Graham too ... yours is being processed today as well!

Simon thumbup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Club News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: