Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Alternator noisy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Alternator noisy Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well, I had it confirmed today, the alternator is on it's way out.
212k mikes.
I have noticed this rattling noise, and yesterday I thought I would just lift the bonnet.
Now where was that bonnet catch,  (Land Rover owners take note)
Any way, to be sure, I run it into th local "Snap Drive" which is a chain of multi purpose garages here in Norway.

I picked it up this afternoon after work and they confirmed it was the alternator.

I wasn't too bothered, I have done good mileage, and the Alternator won't cost the earth.
Well, surprise here in Norway, the garage wanted £500.00 to buy it and £200.00 to fit it.

Er no thanks, just give me the bill for diagnosis, £50.00

I phoned Bentleys Toyota, in Warrington where I normally go, they do a Toyota reconditioned for £183.00 plus vat.
Also leave a £30.00 deposit until the old one is returned.

So I booked me a flight back to Liverpool, Ryan Air, I was going anyway, and I have ordered and paid for the alternator.

My son will pick it up from Bentleys on Wednesday, and I will have my hands on it on Saturday, ready to bring back to Norway Sunday.

Now, as I have VERY limited tools here in Oslo.

I would like a list of spanners I need to collect from my tool collection in Warrington.

I have replaced alternators on previous cars, but never on a Land Cruiser, is it that difficult?

Graham
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 18:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the alternator shouldn't be a big problem. The main difficulty is getting your hands to the bolts. This depends on pushing past a collection of rubber hoses (depends on the car model). It might be easier to get at the thing from underneath. You need long arms to reach but there may be less in the way. Take the electrical connections off first if you can. The alternator is quite heavy. You don't want the wires or connectors damaged if the alternator falls when unbolting it.

There may be a long bolt acting as the pivot on which the alternator hangs - to allow you to tighten the drive belt(s). The bolt has to be removed in a straight line (forwards or back) and this can be a problem if there is something in the way (like the radiator). A quick inspection will confirm what needs to be done.

If you are taking the old alternator with you to exchange on the same trip, you can use it to compare with the replacement unit. This is a very good idea. Things to check when exchanging the two units:-

- The type and location of the mounting holes on the body of the alternator. Car manufacturers sometimes change the mounting bracket on the engine between batches of cars.

- The size and shape of the electrical socket(s) - same reason as above

- The position of the pulley relative to the mounting bracket - any difference (more than a couple of millimeters) and the belts will be out of line and probably come off in use or break

The new alternator may require the pulley off the old unit. The supplier might do the removal and re-fitting for you. Without a good puller, this can be a difficult job. I suggest you check with the supplier before you set off on your trip. You might get them to overhaul your own alternator while you stay in the UK for a day or so. This avoids the possibility of a mismatching replacement.

When you are changing the alternator, I suggest you fit new drive belts. Keep the old ones as spares. They are sure to fit and probably still have some life in them.

Good luck with your trip

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Willie,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you worked on the alternator on a 120 series?

I had a good look at my alternator yesterday, I am not sure if to work from under, or work from the top.
If any one can give another write up then I will be happy.
Or if any one replaced one yet.
Perhaps mine is the first !

Sure I will disconnect the batteries, negative terms first.
Then remove all the connections off the alternator.

It looks a bit deep down to work from from the top though.

Then I will put some good strong thin rope around it and dropp the belts off, after noting which pullies they run round first.

Then undo all the bolts, and hoe the rope stops it from crashing into me, stuck underneath !
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like a good plan.

No, I haven't worked on a 120 but I have taken the alternator off my 100 (and several other cars previously).

Good luck

Willy
120man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the right wheel arch is a plastic splash panel which is removable. Cannot have a look right now to check if that is of any help but strikes me you might get some access that way
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected my 120 today from Oslo Toyota.
I had dropped it off the day before, with a new alternator and drive belt from Bentleys in Warrington.
I arrived at 16:30h as planned, and it was finished, done.
I went to the service desk, and spoketo the guy behind the counter.
Expecting to pay the NOK1600  (£170) that I had been quoted.
Well, the guy asks me for NOK3600
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!  I ask him?
NOK3600 he says again.
Well, I said, I was quoted NOK1600

Any way, he go's on to say, they have to remove the Air conditioning tank, to remove the alternator.
So, naturally, this needed re-filling, gas re-charge after the alternator was fitted.

Well, I said, I was told NOK1600, and that that.
The guy says he can knock off 18%,
I say thats not enough, he needs to be looking at knocking 60% off!

No can do he says.

Well, I says, you have to speak to some one who can.
there all gone home he says,
Whats wrong with the phone, , , , call some one I say.
He dials a few, then gets a reply.
He babbles on in Norwegian for a few minutes, and habgs up.

So I ask the guy, what would YOU do if your car was in the garage, and you were quoted NOK1600
Then when you come to collect, you areexpected to pay NOK3600 !
thats not fair he replies.
So he then says the boss said that Toyota will foot the excess.
As they should have told me the AC tank wants removing to replace the alternator.
So I swipe my card, and pay NOK1593

Now, it seems very strange to me that you have to open up the AC system, remove the AC tank, just to replace the alternator.

Any one confirm this?

I think I will phone Bentleys tomorrow, they will tell me, if I don't find out sooner from here.

It did leave a bitter, sweet taste afterwards.

Any way, the 120 is whisper quiet again now.
job done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: