2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

A slight oil change pratfall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
120man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:38    Post subject: A slight oil change pratfall Reply with quote

Waits to catch the unwary, like me.

Decided to change engine oil & filter as pretty soon now have a long journey coming up. Done oil changes before but dealer did the filter at annual service . Now out of warranty doing it all myself. (And properly, if I might add a slight note of bitterness)

Well now, the oil filter is easy enough to get off as it sits on a mounting containing the oil cooler that projects from the side of the engine. It has a tray arrangement to catch the oil which comes out when you unscrew it. And the tray has a drain that lead down and terminates in the little rubber tube that is in front of the sump drain plug. Very thoughtful. Avoids mess

Unless you forget to put the waste oil container under the engine before unscrewing the filter. D'oh!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago i changed the oil on my old Capri & forgot to refit the sump plug .
Pumairl
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw on another forum, where someone used a pump and sucked the oil out through the dipstick... anyone tried that method????
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56    Post subject: Dipstick? Reply with quote

No Offence Meant!

Yes, 'draining' the oil through the dipstick tube can work. Many years ago, Jet pertol stations used to offer this service provided you filled up with their oil.  However, there are a couple of buts:-

The dipstick doesn't need to extend to the bottom of the sump. Forcing a tube down the dipstick tube to reach the bottom of the sump may damage something which is in the way.

If the 'draining' tube doesn't reach the bottom of the sump, it can't remove all the dirty oil, leaving you with semi-dirty oil once the clean stuff is then added.

As an alternative, you can spend £20 on a fancy new sump tap plus drain tube and make the oil change process a whole lot easier. I have fitted these to my cars and it makes the process almost totally painless. See:-

http://www.drainplug.co.uk/

There are several suppliers in the UK. I've found Geoff Agg very helpful so I would recommend him. The benefit of this gadget is that the draining process can be stopped part way through without spilling oil which is helpful when there are 11 litres to come out (I have a 4.2 litre Amazon engine to drain). This gives you a chance to change or empty the receptacle collecting the old oil. The drain tap comes with a brass cap which provides a secondary seal - a bit like a dust cap on a tyre valve.

Willy
Pumairl
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Willy...a fountain of information as usual
120man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumairl wrote:
Saw on another forum, where someone used a pump and sucked the oil out through the dipstick... anyone tried that method????

I have a PELA oil extractor pump which works well on my other car but not on my LC120.

The reason is that somewhere in the dipstick tube is something that restricts the suction pipe from enetering the sump. I have tried a thinner pipe but just will not go down the tube.
olivergt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy,

Have you ever got 11 litres out of your 4.2? I only ever get about 9 out of mine, even when changing the filter, and I leave it draining for ages to let all the last drips out.

I also make sure it's filled to properly, may not be to top mark on dipstick, but definitely not near the bottom.

Oliver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: