Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

MOT time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 15:51    Post subject: MOT time Reply with quote

Well having done a few things to the Bruiser (Timing Belt, front anti roll bar bushes and handbrake shoes) it sailed through it's first MOT even though they were worried it might be a touch to heavy for the ramp and they couldn't test the brakes on the rolling road because of the permanent 4WD.

Now I can get on with the no MOT things I want to do - new springs all round, rear Anti roll bar bushes, new power steeing pump etc etc...

Still really pleased it passed, even got through the emissions no trouble which isn't bad for a 12 year old diesel with a couple of dodgy injectors and 140k miles on the clock.

I love Landcruisers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 15:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these 80's have a viscous centre diff? If they don't, then in theory they can be run on the brake tester.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
Do these 80's have a viscous centre diff? If they don't, then in theory they can be run on the brake tester.

Not sure if mine has, think it came in late 93, mine was built august 92 but registered july 93 so I guess it still has the original type transmission - A442F box, not sure on the transfer case and centre diff, have to do some digging and have a look at the transmission code and trnasfer box code and see if I can decode it.

Other problem with the 80 series is that it is so wide, it will only just fit the rolling road and is only 1/2 cm from the edges of the rolling road so I think they are a bit worried about running into the sides if it gets a twitch on the steering (on the front anyway) and if it hops when the handbrakes are applied.

Didn't have this problem with the Surf as it was part time 4WD and was quite a bit narrower.

Actually I think the guy testing it just wanted to have a go - and who can blame him.
DaveN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had alook in the book, and it looks like it's a straight open diff, unless locked of course. So width aside, it should be ok on the brake tester, especially as it's really low speed and for short periods. In the handbook it has a section on towing, and it's not recommended to tow with front or rear on the ground, but i think thats because of the speed and distances involved. Obviously the usual precautions about towing autos apply.

I'm lubing the birfields this weekend as one has started clicking on sharp turns/low ratio. Bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted, but nothing to lose by pumping some grease in there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: