Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Centre Diif won't Lock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Centre Diif won't Lock? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Whilst out in the cold and rain (and MUD  Shocked ) in Wales this weeeknd, I noticed my centre diff wouldn't lock - the orange indicator light stayed flashing, and never went to 'solid'.  I checked fuses and relays, nothing obvious there - any ideas on why it's not locking?  Crying or Very sad

TIA

Gary
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably lack of use, when was the last time it was used.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the vehicle in November, 2nd hand, so couldn't say what the history has been (although suspect this was it's first off-road foray....).  I've not used the centre-diff in lock mode at all until needing it this last weeeknd.  Tried numerous times to get it to lock, with no joy  Crying or Very sad  Rolling Eyes
andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my Surf week before last, was in the Lakes and loads of ice and snow. no tools with me and didn't fancy crawling underneath in the cold, so kept trying for 2 days then it went in, and now works every time.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - well, as it's snowing here now, I'll go out tonight to a nice deserted Tesco car park and play around a bit and see if it works.  Very Happy

Thanks!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update is vehicle is in with Toyota at the moment, getting a new Centre Diff Lock actuator and a new ECU - seems that the dealership an't decide what the real problem is, so they're replacing everything to do with it!!  Shocked

Anyway, I've been wondering now - I assume the motor on the newer Invinvible is the same as the one in my 2005 LC5 - the only difference being the ECU which altered the fuelling to give the extra few horeses - or am I wrong?  If that's the case, and the only major difference is the ECU - will I get the new ECU, and thus a change in power / torque values  Rolling Eyes

Now wouldn't that be fun  Wink

Hopefully the bus will be back home tomorrow or Friday, so will let you all know then...
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:

Anyway, I've been wondering now - I assume the motor on the newer Invinvible is the same as the one in my 2005 LC5 - the only difference being the ECU which altered the fuelling to give the extra few horeses - or am I wrong?  If that's the case, and the only major difference is the ECU - will I get the new ECU, and thus a change in power / torque values

Im' watching this  happy1
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, same power plant. But dealer told me that essentially it had been 'chipped' to give the extra boot. Very impressive and of course was available in a Hilux pick up version too. A 200 bhp builder's wagon. Blimey.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - got the Cruiser back, and joy of joys the locker locks!  Laughing   Replaced ECU and Diff lock actuator, new gearbox oil and one or two other bits...

BUT - seems to have the same performance characteristics as before.  Oh well... at least I'll be able to use it at Lincomb properly  Laughing  Confused
DaveN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If toyota have stuck to their old traditions, then there are seperate ecu's for the diff and the engine.

Rest assured, if they swapped the main ecu, then the thing would probably never run properly again!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4x4 system has its own separate ECU. It's on the wiring diagram, but I've never found it. It's somewhere in the back of the car apparently.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - saw that on the diagram on the weeeknd.  Pity  Sad  - no extra horses ...

But at least the centre diff locks (and I've also got power at the rear outlet now, although I'm sure they're not related  Laughing )

Now to get the opportunity to use it - hurry up April.... and the new tyres ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: