4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BIG END PICS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 13:06    Post subject: BIG END PICS Reply with quote

Took some pics of the big end shells i have just changed but i havnt a clue how to put them up here so if anybody wishes to see them give me your email address and i will send you them.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 13:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them to me, and I'll do a swap with my piccies.Send to dave at autoair.co.uk
billybear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dave tried sending them but would not work must be doing something wrong not to hot working computers.lol.Only know how to email.
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I haven't spelt the address correctly to stop getting spam. So try again with:- dave'at'autoair.co.uk but replace the 'at' with @
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got those pictures OK. Boy, were they in poor condition.

It just goes to show, the bearings can be in extremely poor condition, with no other evidence like oil pressure or noise.

I'm trying to find the pictures I took, but only 2 were in poor shape, both from no.3 cylinder, with the top one cratered like yours, but only about 5 or 6 mm across in the centre of the shell. The bottom one was just starting to show signs of breaking up. All the others were ok, just a bit of shining and a few specks.

Where did you get your shells from? Did you check oil clearances wiht plastigauge? What number shells did you take out? Mine were all 3's.
billybear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my shells from milners off road they cost 41.75 the shells i took out where all 4s.You dont have much choice with what you can put back because they only stock oversized for if you have your crank reground or standed size.I checked the thickness of the new shells with the thickness of the old ones and they are almost spot on.My old shells have done 177k but they dont show much wear on the thickness of the shell all the wear comes from the centre when the small bits of steel peel away.As you can see there was three bad ones they come out of 1-3-5 they where all tops,the bottoms where also slightly pitted,2-4-6 showed a bit of discolouration but where in good condition.At least when you find them in that condition you feel pleased that all that work was justified,i am glad that they have been replaced,if i had not found this forum i would almost certainlly have had a nasty shock in store.Thanks for giving that information i think it saved my engine.
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, all mine were 4's as well. On the block/crank numbers, one should have been a 3, but when I took it out it was a 4, so that's what went in.

We need Lucky to explain in detail how to post photos, as I didn't understand the last post he did, something about hosting it someplace and puting the address after the img. All double-dutch to me.

Those pictures should persaude anyone to take a look at their own bearings.
billybear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes m8 i havnt got much of a clue about how to post pics on sites like this.I think everyone who drives these great cars should check out there big end bearings because they are a weak point of this car.You seen how bad mine where ,i dont know how much longer they would of lasted.Better be safe than sorry.
Towpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware you can't post photos directly on this site.You have to post them on another site,be it your own site or one of the public ones such as photobox and then post the URL of the site with the photos on this site.eg.

www.photobox.co.uk/album/1448081

http://uk.geocities.com/phil.swann@btopenworld.com/TLC5

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
Come to think of it, all mine were 4's as well. On the block/crank numbers, one should have been a 3, but when I took it out it was a 4, so that's what went in.

We need Lucky to explain in detail how to post photos, as I didn't understand the last post he did, something about hosting it someplace and puting the address after the img. All double-dutch to me.

Those pictures should persaude anyone to take a look at their own bearings.

Dave.

Go to www.landcruiser-rocks.co.uk, register and then you can post them on the gallery part of the site. This is reasonably self explanatory but if you have a problem then I will happily help (or you can send them to me at harveyaj11@hotmail.com and I will post them up on my site and then link them to here.

Once they are posted on the gallery, open them up and right click on them and select properties. this will give the actual url of the saved picture. You can then post them on here by putting the url inbetween the url tags that you can select above the message when editing you need to click the url button, paste the address then click the url button again to close the link. The picture will then appear once you have saved the message.

hope that this helps
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:09    Post subject: Re: BIG END PICS Reply with quote

billybear wrote:
Took some pics of the big end shells i have just changed but i havnt a clue how to put them up here so if anybody wishes to see them give me your email address and i will send you them.

How long did the job take. I'm going to do mine as soon as I can get the time and would like to know from someone who has done them how long so I can allocate the appropriate time - will a day suffice.
billybear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Andy you can do the job in a day no problem,the hardest part of the job is removing the sump from the engine DaveN was right about that.It is stuck on very well but you can get it off with a couple of screwdrivers,once off the rest of the job is easy as long as you have got a good socket set.The shells come off easy,i put the front wheels on ramps jacked it up on the front to gain clearance to get the sump out,its a easy job to do and it saves paying £500 for someone else to do,if you have any problems you can just come on this site and ask for help.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 23:21    Post subject: Big ends an oil pressure Reply with quote

Hey folks, I have a 96 , 24v cruiser and was concerned about oil pressure and big ends. Took sump off, dropped shells out, found no wear either measurable or visible! and they've done 125000 miles. Has fsh with Toyota so that may help. Replaced shells/bolts with genuine new ones, oil pressure still the same, (just under 1st mark at idle, just before 2nd mark at 4k revs, both with hot engine). Changed press sender, now gauge reads higher, seems to confirm what others say about senders getting old.My advice? use best quality oil, change every 4500 miles, and enjoy your cruiser :D
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've changed the shell material when they brought out the 24v engine, as the original 12v part number has been supercede.

Most of the problems have come to light in Australia, where they didn't introduce the 24v engine until later than over here. So it may be they have a problem but haven't seen it yet, or maybe no problem at all.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what you say, previous cruiser was 12v 156000 miles, oil press better than new one! had good service history and regular oil changes, shame such a good engine getting a bad reputation, most engine/cars are scrap at 150k + miles, so even then ,100 quid on doing shells as a precaution is cheap :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: