4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BIG END PICS

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybear wrote:
Yes Andy you can do the job in a day no problem,the hardest part of the job is removing the sump from the engine DaveN was right about that.It is stuck on very well but you can get it off with a couple of screwdrivers,once off the rest of the job is easy as long as you have got a good socket set.The shells come off easy,i put the front wheels on ramps jacked it up on the front to gain clearance to get the sump out,its a easy job to do and it saves paying £500 for someone else to do,if you have any problems you can just come on this site and ask for help.

Do I need to do this? I don't have any ramps and I don't trust my axle stands with the weight of a Bruiser. I was hoping to just crawl underneath - is there enough room to drop the sump like this? I know it will be more of a fiddle.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 15:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the sump off you need to get the weight off the front suspension to let it 'sag' which gives you the clearance to get the sump past the axle and steering tie bar.I reckon trying to do it by simply crawling underneath will be virtually impossible.Invest in a pair of ramps,there're not that expensive.When the car is on the ramps and the sump is ready to remove simply raise the front with a jack under the front crossmember just enough to manouvre the sump out.You don't have to raise the wheels off the ramps but just take enough of the weight off the suspension.Thats how I did mine.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget though, that if it's on ramps, then you'll need a jack with plenty of lift.

I'd rather use a couple of tall axle stands, as you only need to let the suspension droop by a couple of inches.
billybear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the jack on two solid concreate breeze blocks it worked a treat didnt have to do much jacking up to gain clearance for the sump to come out.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine on ramps and then jcaked it up on the front cross member with a 2 ft long piece of 4x4 fence post on top of the jack, worked a treat.
ianp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my big ends done at 62,500.
One was pitted slightly and one was more worn than the others. Looks like I chose just the right time to get them done. Not bad but not how they should be. Was listening to the engine when I got it home - purrs like a big cat Smile

Just need to get the aircon re-charged and I'll be selling her regretably. Fantastic cars and I'll miss the big bruiser but I need load space so a van is required.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Trailer, then you can keep the Bruiser
ianp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky wrote:
Get a Trailer, then you can keep the Bruiser

That's what I have at the moment but it doesn't really work too well. I race bikes in enduros and a high top van would provide a changing room and carry more gear. The Bruiser is a bit cramped and I have to change in the weather etc. Much easier to sling the bike in the back of a van, tie it down in the dry and then change, plus it can carry far more and is easier to manouever.

So if anyone wants a 1991 Bruiser in good nick, 63,000 miles, new big ends, timing belt, brake pads, oil and filter changed every 3000 ................

Was thinking of £6500
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: