Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Calling Thor - How is your owl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09    Post subject: Calling Thor - How is your owl? Reply with quote

Thor, you mentioned in the noisy engine thread about your owl hooting somewhere deep in the bowls of the car and we discussed it briefly as I have the same noise.
Anyway, just wondered how your owl has been since we spoke?  Does he/she get any louder/quieter or more frequent?  Ours definitely seems less happy in cold weather and hoots more and a bit louder.  Does tend to settle down a little after 15 minutes or so; perhaps it goes to sleep.
I'm just keeping a good eye (or rather ear) on it as our warranty runs out at the end of March and I'm wondering what (if anything) to do about it.  Two different dealers have listened for it (I say listened in the loosest sense of the term), although neither will admit to hearing it.  Is it just me or do they tend to employ technicians who are audibly challenged?
Anyway, just wondered if your situation had changed at all.
Has anybody else heard the 'owl' in a 120?

By the way, on a related matter, I had the injectors changed by Toyota under warranty and the engine is MUCH quieter now on cold mornings.  Definitely recommended if you've got the very loud injector noise.  Ours wasn't one of the worst, but the new modified injectors have really quietened it down.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2003 LC4 'hoots like an owl' - so I wouldn't worry!
thor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

My owl is still around  Sad  Smile  You are correct, the colder it is the more obvious the noise.....until the vehicle reaches optimum temp. then the noise is far less apparent [but I am still aware of it even then]
I too had it into Toyota...they just shrugged their shoulders basically, saying everything is okay [now Toyota would not gain anything because I purchased the vehicle from a Honda dealer - using their bum warranty, basically the engine has to pack up/die before they will admit something is wrong.....we all learn when it is too late, I should have sat down and read the policy twice before signing, but who actually does that?]

I am also a little concerned over the noisy injector rattle, but I suppose I have got to the shrugging of shoulder stage [because Toyota checked this and also say that it was okay]

I still like my truck....just wish I did not have issues.  Laughing

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got the injector rattle - from about 1300 rpm to just over 2000 rpm then it goes away - much worse when cold.  Had Toyota check the injectors - some measurement they have where the injectors have to register over '5' to be replaced - mine read '3.5' apparently  Confused

Also got told NOT to use supermarket fuel, to check fuel filter etc. since moving back to Shell / BP other name brand fuel and to put a can of injector cleaner through the system - this by the workshop manager.  So will try that and see what happens.

Regards

Gary
thor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use supermarket fuel and mainly the super stuff.

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's a con - if the D4D is that sensitive to fuel quality, what happens to those that want to overland in a D4D vehicle - say to North Africa or even further south, to Tanzania, Malawi, Kenya, etc. or maybe far eastern Europe where fuel (maybe) comes out of 44 gallon drums (sometimes) and you have to hope like mad that the quality is OK?

I can see the vehicle getting back to the local UK Toyota dealer - oh dear, look at that, injectors all broken due to poor quality fuel - please pay this office for a new set...   Twisted Evil

But then this is supposed to be the reason the D4D wasn't made available in south Africa - too much diesel around that wasn't down at 0.005% sulphur ...
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been perusing Pradopoint.com, and came across this (there's a massive moan there about the knocking / rattling sounds)

"Well I just got off of the phone after paying for my last service.
The service manager just spilt the beans.
Toyota and the fuel companies are in mad negotiations and have been for just on 12 months now. Tojo is VERY worried about the hilux name with this problem in the d4d range.
The long term quality of the OZ fuel is just not up to the euro standard. The carbon build-up on the new 1100+ DegC glow plugs and the injector tips is causing the engine knock sensor to get the fuel mix and possibly the timing wrong.
The dealers have a plug in diagnostic that they run on vehicles that customers report the problem on. If the injector functionality is out side of + or - 4% then the injectors are replaced.
The other fix they had tested on the hilux here in OZ and in the KX ( or KZ ?) rally prado in parts of Europe is to reprogram the ECU, but this lowered the engine power to below its advertised output. Fixed the problem , but may get tojo into legal trouble for false advertising.
I asked to be notified if they find a fix in the next few weeks / months.. He said the fix will be a lot longer away than that. BUT that any customer that reports the problem will get put onto a Toyota list and will get the injector function test done for them at each service after that time.

I was also told that in testing this dealer ran a air drier into the intake of a quite cold d4d. This stopped all but the true cold/low oil pressure noise that you expect at startup.
This tells me that its a combination of ECU controlled settings derived from its inputs AND the injector problem."

So - for what it's worth.  Obviously the dealership I went to measure for +/- 5%, and I'm at 3.5%, so will keep badgering them...
SANDCASTLE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all
I have been reading all of your stuff about injectors and owls. I have just got my LC4 back from the dealer for new injectors, But now we also have a owl under the bonnet, Like the other owls it suffers in cold weather, i asked the dealer about this and like other dealers thay also said"we heard nothing".
I suspect it's turbo related to this noise as it is heard when the turbo starts to boost up. I will keep you up to date as it is going back to the dealer this week as my new sunroof has jammed open 2 days after collecting it, having had new injectors,new sunroof, and the owls looked at. Mybe i will talk to our local vet!

PS still think the injectors are noisy.
Sad
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that the 'owl' is quite a common feature on these cars.  I don't think it's a problem - mine has done it for three years now and has never changed.  That reminds me, warranty expired yesterday so I'm on my own now  Shocked Fingers crossed.
By the way, what causes the sunroof to jam?  A few people have commented on this issue now.  Never had a problem with ours...yet (touches wood).
Whereabouts in Cumbria are you and which dealer do you use?  I'm between Carlisle and Brampton and use Border in Carlisle although have also used Jim Waltons in Penrith.  Border seem particularly happy to carry out warranty work with no questions/arguments.  Very good service actually.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard on the sunroof was that it was something to do with the runners binding, then the roof gets out of alignment and then jams, with the motor either going kaput or a fuse, or both.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
That reminds me, warranty expired yesterday so I'm on my own now  Shocked Fingers crossed.

Like mine almost eh ?

Mines been out of warranty for the last 112,212 miles.

Wood,  nah !

'vette
SANDCASTLE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening all

About my dealer i got this toyota and the last one fron a dealer in northwich in cheshire. A good dealer with a good stock and more to the point a good trade in price. I live in south Cumbria Its only about 115 miles to get there.
More bad news on the sunroof i picked up my car on friday gone after 3 weeks new sunroof, injectors, and a few other bit the workshop missed when i bought it in febuary. well the sun roof lasted a whole 2 days, sunday afternoon it got jammed up, a small plastic arm came adrift and stopped the roof shutting. so in i went and removed the arm and shut it till the dealer comes this week to collect it again. Its looking like a nother new sunroof. Its oly about 2 grand ish.
I was talking to the manager at the dealer today and he said the sunroof . "thay are $#!t" they were his words not mine.

Still trying hard at the dealer for the owl in the engine.
Hope its all over soon, I have only had this toyota for about 8 weeks and the dealer has had it for 3 of them up to now.
Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad

Ps vette ( nice tyres.)                                                                       Iwill write again soon Sandcastle                                 LC4 2005/55 plate 52000 miles
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "owl" is the turbo or related induction noise. It's in my LC5 and it generally quietens off when the engine and oil warm up.
SANDCASTLE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all
Up date on the sunroof, Yep you got it? it's the small plastic bit snapped off, (or that's what thay told me) parts on order, as for the owl under the bonnet thay are saying it's normal just some louder than others. Yer right! Still leaning on them as to what the noise is and why? Looking like  it will be back next week.

Sandcastle. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: