NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

rear lights changes to fit back bumper bar - help!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyota mad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 21:59    Post subject: rear lights changes to fit back bumper bar - help! Reply with quote

my lc4 cruiser has the lights in the back bumper.... i have just realised that i cant fit a back bumper bar as the bumper lights would be covered by the bar Sad  Sad ... would it be crazy to fit a 120 back bumper and wire the parks and indicators into the back piller lights like the 120... i can get a 120 rear bumper at very good money but how do i go about the rewiring, i know the pillar lights have spaces for these bulbs.... but how do i get the connection i need Confused  Confused

PLEASE HELP.. Exclamation  Exclamation                    

no hill to steep for a landcruiser
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find out, let me know.
I was going to do this ages ago.
I was going to buy the bulb holders at Toyota, and either extend the wires one by one, back up the rear pillar, for left and right.
Then I took the plastics off, by the jack etc,
thats when I changed my mind.
There are too many wires for my liking.

'vette
toyota mad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem uk_vette, you need this answered more than me as you have your bumper bar... i tought your model would of had the lights in the pillars, what model am i thinking off then... Confused  Confused  Smile

smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get down the scrapyard.  I took the rear light wiring out of an Applause (hyundai or dawoo, didnt notice which, but some cheap jap *beep* that there were loads of)

It even had the correct loom plug to attach to my lc (90).  Just had to open out the bulb holder holes in the back of the lense with an old soldering iron & a small file & presto, rear pillar lights.

They are also much brighter than the nasty bumper ones
toyota mad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokeyjoe any chance of a picture of the finished job... i ordered the bulb holders in toyota today, and iam collecting the 120 back bumper friday so i hope to start work on it saturday... Smokeyjoe did you carry up the wires one by one to the pillar lights Question and did you leave your old bumper lights connected aswell..

my toyota fitter told me today that iam opening a can of worms  Rolling Eyes and it cant be done with ease, but i think whats really wrong is that they are not getting the job......
               anythings worth a go once

Wildmutt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bumper lights must have a connector somewhere in the back behind the panels. Once you find them just piggyback of the side going to the lights and run them up to where you want the lights in the pillar. I have done the same on my Colorado including fitting indicators into my reversing lights to act as repeaters when in traffic queues to stop people shouting at me saying your indicators aren't working when they get too close.Great for towing the trailer too.
toyota mad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate, must check the panels for the connections.. its good to hear that members have converted there tail lights, and am not alone on this Smile  Smile ....

its looking good for saturday, a least i know were to start now.... taking of the bumper sounds like the biggest task but i see theres a topic on this

Wildmutt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pic's of my lights(I hope)

smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a plug behind the pillar lights, but only the fog & reverse were connected. For me it was just a matter of plugging in the salvaged lights & presto....
toyota mad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again.......... Cool  Cool

Pumairl
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota mad, if you do change your light setup, take some pics as you do it and put it in the new section for doing jobs on the LC, because I've been trying to change the setup for ages.
I also spoke to a mate who works for toyota, even he said it's a dumb place for tail tights.. the new late 08 and 09 LC120 now have the tail lights in the rear quarter light cluster now.. no lights on the bumper now..
toyota mad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

will get some pictures when i do it Cool , i never got a chance i hope to get at them this weekend Very Happy  Very Happy

RINKER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and gals I did this to my 120 when I bought it new in 2005. I put a description of how I did it on the toyotaownersclub site under my user name usi620 that I use on the site . It's in the Landcruiser section and I think the heading was LC120 rear lights . Sorry I don't know how to link it.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88317&mode=threaded&pid=841424

'vette
Pumairl
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vette,

Did you do that conversion??? Will give it a go in the coming weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: