4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Heavy towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 15:44    Post subject: Heavy towing Reply with quote

Just wonderd if any of you have much experience with towing around the weight limit of the 120.  I'm looking at moving a boat and twin axle trailer which will weigh about 3 tons all in.  I see from the spec that the maximum suggested towing weight is 2.8 tons and so I'm looking at being slightly over that.
It will only be a couple of times a year, but over about 150 miles each time on everything from motorways to Lake District A roads although obviously only the sensible ones.
I guess strictly speaking it may be pushing the limit of legality, but other than that, does anybody have any views/experience/advice please?
Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 15:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice, yes, don't do it. It is illegal. Period.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with NC.

There is a tendency for the trailer to snake. With a heavy trailer, you need a heavy car to limit this snaking and be willing to drive slowly to avoid it becoming catastrophic.

However, it's not just the weight of the trailer exceeding the limit laid down for your car.  You have to be very careful how the trailer is loaded (any heavy trailer).

It is easy to get the weight (Centre Of Gravity) too far back and the trailer will snake - often suddenly - and be out of control in seconds. With a heavy trailer, it is difficult to judge where the COG is and find out too late that it's too far back for safe and comfortable driving. With multiple axles, the trailer appears correctly loaded because the axles share the load. This means the COG can move over any of the axles and the trailer appears to be OK.

If in doubt put the weight on the trailer too far forward rather than too far back.

For example, put the outboard as far forward inside the boat as possible. Never leave it on the back end! This extra load at the front of the trailer may overload your car but the trailer won't have you spinning down three lanes of your favourite motorway.

Sorry if these comments aren't what you want to hear.

Willy
jezza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 120 WILL drag (if slowly) a up to a laden HGV if it's wheels aren't locked, and I've done it as part of a carriageway clearance to get the motorway going again once or twice...

However, for a 'civvie' car doing regular towing, you need to look at the maximum permisable towing weights and as mentioned already, I think you're not going to be able to do it mate. As NC has said, it's illegal, you WILL get caught and the 5-0 will enjoy giving you a nice fine and points.

Plus if it goes pear shaped and you end up losing control of the trailer on the motorway, you'll not only get an insurance claim for the boat and anyone's car that gets damaged in the incident, but also any damage to the motorway and crash barrier - and that bill really will make your eyes water!  Shocked

Much as I'm not a fan of caravanning, it might be worthwhile having a look on the caravan club website and see if there's any advice on a more suitable vehicle to allow you to tow legally.  Very Happy

(Oh, and ifyou passed your driving test after 1st January 1997, you'll need to take a towing test so you can tow that weight as well!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: