4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

how about head while you're down there ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:48    Post subject: how about head while you're down there ... Reply with quote

going to do the much advised bottom end of 1H-DT .. but while i'm down there any reason not to whip off the head and do the rings? am waiting on a manual but would you advise to remove head or is it better left alone ...

many thanks

fubar
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fubar.

To be honest, if you want to do the job right, then if you have the time and inclination then it's a good idea - need to get some help to lift the head though, it's heavy as anything. 1HD-T is not know for cooking rings however once done you would know that the engine is in tip top condition. While you are at it though, change the timing belt as it is easy and goves you peace of mind. And while the head is off you might want to get the injectors refurbed as they are probably original and if the motor is over 100K then they will most likely be toast - still work just add more smoke and the engine will not be running it's best. Head is not that difficult to get off fi you are going to do it.

Just ordered up my big ends from Milners this mroning and a pair of new Birfields so a couple of jobs for me. Big ends first then birfs and clean / repack front wheel bearings. Then new brake pads all round and clean and repack the rear wheel bearings. Then change the brake fluid, then replace the side bearings in the front diff. Motor should be 100% after all that.
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy

the milners guy said we don't sell many big end bearing so expect delivery direct from supplier. well he now has 2 as i also ordered a set today. £10 for a filter set is good value though. am tempted to do the rings but would want a few days off work to do it properly, the oil filler cap shows a bit of blow by but then the engine was far from hot when checking it out. reckon do the big ends first then do the head ..

neal
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep sounds like a plan - except if you are going to do the rings, the bottom end will have to come off again. Looks like I'm having the other set from Milners then.
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would leave the rings alone. You'll always get a bit of blow-by on an old diesel, so maybe get a compression check first. Don't forget, to remove the head, you've got to get the manifold off, and some of the stud/nuts/bolts are goingto snap. You also need the check the head to piston clearance and select the correct head gasket thickness to suit. Let sleeping dogs lie if you ask me.

I would also buy genuine filters, as aftermarket are rubbish. Take a look at the filters I cut open to see if there was any difference. For a few quid, I reckon it's worth it. Go here: http://www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm
fubar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading the ("to change air filter, disconnect battery, place on axle stands") haynes manual the big ends have very specific and apparently comlicated instructions for where each shell should be fitted to which crank journal ... is this correct or do you fit the big end shells as they come?

thanks

fubar
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to use the Toyota ones then you need to work out exactly what bearings you need for each bearing based on the existing markings, however the standard ones from Milners should work in any cap as they are based around standard journal sizes and should work unless the crank has been reground. However won't be as 100% perfect as going the toyota route. However the bearings should be fitted in the correct way, there is a top one and a bottom one which should not be mixed up otherwise the oilways will be blocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: