Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trayback build

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 21:23    Post subject: Trayback build Reply with quote

I haven't been on here for a while and thought i'd post up to show what i'm up to.

Some of you might remember that I had an accident in my 80 last January. Anyway after being deemed an economic write off I bought it back of the insurance company for £200. I bought a few second hand bits, doors and such,  and ran the motor until the tax ran out in May. Since May it's been stood in my front garden looking pretty shabby.

Unfortunately also in May i ran a we bit short of cash so had to sell by Bobtailed Discovery so was left without a toy.

This week i decided that it was time to do something with the 80. The idea is to build something similar to Slee offroads Shortbus but with reasonable road manners for long trips, offroad playdays and general muddy fun with the odd challenge event thrown in.

Today I stripped the front end so that i can trim up the inner wings to make room for a set of 36" fedimas and i also stripped out the wiring and back seats etc from the backend so that i can begin chopping up the body over the next couple of weeks.

There isn't much to show yet but i'll post up pics as and when.

G
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 21:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

the boo crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will forward to it hope all goes well!
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front inner wings and wheel arches are trimmed and I've ordered TJM springs, shocks, panhard arm and steering damper. Once i have the cab built i'm going to fit the springs and flip the front radius arms.

I can't for the life of me work out how to post pics here. I'm using the "insert image" button but all i get is the image address. G
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham read this about pictures, looking forward to seeing some Smile

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4074
joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to upload your piccys to an image hosting site like photobucket   ( free to join ) then simply copy & paste.
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers 24'

A few photos here so they are clickable thumbnails.

First day with the new motor.

8 months later, £7500 worth of damage

Done by £20 worth of junk.

After a few months of sitting in the garden the ute project starts.

Back end stripped out

Inner wings trimmed

Wheel arches trimmed

Thats it for now as i have booked a workshop for a couple of weeks next month so that i can do the main cab farbication under cover.

I have a comeup 9.5 winch for the front and a warn 8000 for the back which came off my old Disco bobtail.
There is a set of Fedimas on steel rims sitting in Dublin waiting for me to collect at the end of the April and the lift kit is in the post.

I'm aiming to have it road legal by September.

Heres a pic of my old bob, not an LC but i had to practice on something before i cut up a Cruiser!

Cheers, G
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far.  Have a look on the SA Cruiser forum - there's a guy there has done the same thing to an 80 - but gone crazy, and stuck a 'yota TRD supercharger in too (his is the 4,5 straight six).  What a beast that must be!!!
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know somone who has made a tipping tray- back but its a six wheeler ! not built for playing off road but looks realy good and used daily as a working vehicle , its a double cab type set up with the tail-gate welded back on just behind the rear doors .
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up with the photo journal Graham, looking good so far.

Shame such a little tin can could do so much damage to an LC.
Kinda brings you back to earth when you think they are not so indestructible.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest Graham, what condition is your boot carpet in Question

I only ask as mine is stained to hell from the previous owner and wont come clean.
I sort of guess you wont be needing yours and it could be a saleable item.

Les
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecky Thump wrote:
Just out of interest Graham, what condition is your boot carpet in Question

I only ask as mine is stained to hell from the previous owner and wont come clean.
I sort of guess you wont be needing yours and it could be a saleable item.

Les

It's not in great condition to be honest. It was badly stained when i got it but i found that a pressure washer brought it up ok. However, i knocked a battery over on it when i was stripping out a couple of weeks ago and the spilt acid has damaged it a bit. Sorry!
busaboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, as you will probably be chopping in that area, the top visible bolt on the offside rear mudguard on mine seems to have now where to screw into, i think the bracket is rotted away. Do you know if there is a bracket that can be replaced there that tucks away inside the bumper?
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

busaboy wrote:
Graham, as you will probably be chopping in that area, the top visible bolt on the offside rear mudguard on mine seems to have now where to screw into, i think the bracket is rotted away. Do you know if there is a bracket that can be replaced there that tucks away inside the bumper?

Can you post a pic of the location of the bolt you are talking about and i'll see if mine is any good. My offside rear guard is cracked due to the accident but the bit you need might be ok. G
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the tyres home and the lift kit arrived. I have a workshop for 2 weeks in June to do the cab fabrication but i'll start before then if the weather holds out as welding is no fun in the rain. G
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, looking forward to seeing your results from the fabrication fortnight & as progress is made...

You may have seen this already on the IH8MUD site

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/139604-rotw-bhaines-80-series.html

All bar the chevvie conversion, its mighty & might have meant it wouldn't have broken as easily Wink

Cheers rr

Gavin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: