2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake fluid leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 23:26    Post subject: Brake fluid leak Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Not a happy camper. Discovered a brake fluid leak in my LC5. Only noticed it when the fluid light came on on the dash. I initially thought it was a bit low and that the garage had overlooked it. I checked it again the next day and it was a bit low again. Then I put two and two together and linked it to the wet patch in the garage that never dried up. (It had been raining and was easy to overlook against the water the cars drip onto the floor). I had a quick look underneath and saw that the flexible hose/pipe connection where it connects onto the rear axle was leaking. Corrosion being the culprit. Bloody salty winter roads and living by the sea being the major suspects. A trip to the dealer for a parts quote throws up a bill for £160 (2 fixed pipe sections, 2 flexibles and some sundries). They estimated 3 to 4 hours labour. *beep* that I'll do it myself. I have to say, I'm suprised at the amount of general surface rust underneath for a car only 5 years onld that has a 12 year paint warranty. Just goes to show that cleaning under is important too. Reinforces the need for some Waxoyl sooner rather than later and I'll need to get it up on a lift for that.

Diesel tank has to come out to get at the fixed pipe sections. Just my luck. I've that done and the lowered it myself, on the garage floor (using two small trolley jacks) with about 40l diesel in it! Removing the tank guard went well with only one stud breaking in the chassis. I've successfully managed to drill that one out. Most were murder tight but eventually opened under duress. Another stud holding a small bracket was seized solid and corroded too so I took that one off with the grinder. I can refix the bracket with a beam clamp which will work fine as there is no appreciable physical load on the bracket. I also managed to loosen the 'good' end of the flexible hose where it meets the pipes fixed to the axle. I had a real fear that these would be seized solid too. Thankfully they opened reasonably well. Tomorrow morning early off to the dealer to collect the parts (all parts already in except one flex hose which is to arrive early) and all being well an hour or two should fit the lot. Refitting the tank will be fun. Then 'her indoors' can help me bleed the brakes.

Between the jigs and the reels I hope to be mobile again tomorrow evening. Fortunately the BMW has not yet been collected by BMW GB so I have use of it for a another few days till the insurance runs out on the 20th.

I'll post an update and a few pics of the corroded bits. Onwards and upwards.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 23:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well, after a hard day under the LC on St Paddy's day, I finally got the job done and completed successfully. It was filthy dirty and quite difficult feeding the new brake pipes through the chassis area on my own but eventually got it sorted. Raising the fule tank again (half full remember) was potentially tricky but I managed it OK with the help of two trolly jacks. One of the tank strap studs boke also but I eventually sorted that too. In fact, the nut, welded to the chassis, broke off leaving the nut and bolt spinning. I cut the head off the bolt with a junior hacksaw and managed to find a suitable replacement in my bits. Holding the new nut from spinning whilst tightening took a bit of imagination but I eventually managed it.

A potential buyer of my neighbour's called asking if he could look around their house. Neighbour's away so I gave him the nod. He was questioning why I was all dirty etc etc and we got chatting. Turns out he was a mechanic and gave me a hand to bleed the brakes. Happy days. Otherwise I would have been relying on my wife who was with the nippers who have all got snotty noses. That worked a treat especially with the pumped brake system. No pumping required and in no time I got the fluid running nice and clear.

One trip to Dublin later (yesterday) all is well and brakes are back to normal.  Very Happy  Very Happy

I spray greased all the bits I could find under the LC until I get the waxoyling done over the summer.  Laughing  Laughing

Saved about £300 on dealer labout too.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Chicken wrote:
Very Happy  and managed to find a suitable replacement in my bits. Holding the new nut from spinning whilst tightening took a bit of imagination

Well, great stuff for getting it all sorted - but my mind boggles at the thought of you having to use something from your bits  Laughing  Shocked   Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it  Wink  Laughing

Hope it gets better soon  Wink

Any pics??  -  of the vehicle and repairs, that is!
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing Funny fella eh?  Wink

I'll get a few pics posted of the corroded parts. It was just too dirty and time consuming without involving a camera too under the LC. Technically not a hard job, just filthy and hard work on your own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: