4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BULL BAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 19:31    Post subject: BULL BAR Reply with quote

Milners have a wrap around bull bar which i would like to fit to my crusier has anybody got one fitted to there car?If so could you tell me how much does it increase the overall width of the car i have to make sure i could get through my driveway gates.Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 19:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullbar on my LC doesn't increase the overall width of the car.The widest point seems to be the flared wheel arches,not counting the mirrors of course.

http://uk.geocities.com/phil.swann@btopenworld.com/TLC7A.JPG

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
billybear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Phil nice looking motor you have there i am glad that there is no increase in width because i only just fit through my gates.I know some people dont like bull bars but i think it adds to the look of the car.
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB was on the car when I bought it and I still can't decide wether to keep it or not but it's growing on me! Many people don't like them because apparrently they can increase damage in a low speed shunt by bending back and damaging the bonnet and wings whereas wihout it you'd just finish up with a bent front bumper.Hmmmm.....maybe.

2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2003 GT XCR3000
500SEC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the effect on airbag deployment, if you have one. This was a big issue in Australia many years ago when airbags became standard fitment on cars. Bullbars add weight and wreck aerodymanics, not to mention their potential impact on pedestrians. But they do provide a good platform for other accessories (lights, winches etc).

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towpack wrote:
The BB was on the car when I bought it and I still can't decide wether to keep it or not but it's growing on me! Many people don't like them because apparrently they can increase damage in a low speed shunt by bending back and damaging the bonnet and wings whereas wihout it you'd just finish up with a bent front bumper.Hmmmm.....maybe.

In the states they call them damage multipliers
billybear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMMM
Dont know what to do now after those comments pehaps i should spend the money on window tinting instead.
Towpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

500SEC wrote:
Consider the effect on airbag deployment, if you have one. This was a big issue in Australia many years ago when airbags became standard fitment on cars. Bullbars add weight and wreck aerodymanics, not to mention their potential impact on pedestrians. But they do provide a good platform for other accessories (lights, winches etc).

Airbag deployment could be an issue I suppose.Can't agree on the weight issue though.Considering the unladen weight of an 80 series deisel the weight of a bullbar is negligable plus the LC has the aerodynamics of a small barn so nothing to upset there! I believe they call them "Roo" bars in Oz where they fit them to avoid expensive damage when hitting a Kangaroo at speed.Pedestrian friendly they most definately are not.

I quite like the look of the "A" bars which also allow you to mount auxilliary lights etc without all the wrap round metalwork.

2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2003 GT XCR3000
500SEC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the aerodynamics of our cruisers are brick-like, however, there is additional wind / whistling noise if the bar is a generic design. Like having a large roof rack overhead. My family live in Alice Springs, Central Australia, and most of their vehicles are eqipped with roo bars with good justification. Driving at night is dangerous there, unless you drive very slowly and with eyes peeled for animals on the road. I just think that these devices are rather silly in the UK. I rarely use high-beam in the UK so it's difficult even to justify a bar for mounting aux lights.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
billybear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that we dont need bull bars here in the uk but we see a lot of 4x4s fitted with them they are more of a fasion statement i suppose.People either like them or not.
ianp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some bull bars which came with the vehicle otherwise I agree they're not necessary unless you think you're going to hit animals. I have some monstrous lights on them that I never use either. The objection to them in the UK is that they're more dangerous to pedestrians although I struggle to understand how being hit by an old Landcruiser without bars is going to be less painful - there's a very solid chassis and engine not to mention the sheer weight of it. Unfortunately my bull bars replace the bumper so I can't take them off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: