Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Another Troopy!

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I don't see any 'miggies' or 'mozzies' in the glare from that lamp - you probably burned them up before they even got close to you!!

Sheesh - not long to go, hey, and you'll be on your way!  If you end up in sunny Scotland for a while and need room for a night or two, let me know  Wink

Otherwise, I'm sure you may need a porter - nudge, nudge, wink wink - I don't take much space  Laughing

If you plan on getting up to north Africa, let us know when - I'm planning on being there August 2010 (seems so far away) but if you're in the vicinity, I suspect a North African B&B may be in order!

Hamba Gahle,

Cheers

Gary
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 21:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gilghana

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawubona Gary!

Forgot that I also fitted a big cut out switch...  Once had Lucas the prince of darkness try to melt my Defender (as well as detonate a battery - if you know where Defender batteries are mounted you can imagine I got a HELL of a fright!):

If I can be ar**ed I might stick it through the body work like a track car... maybe not - my wiring motto is kind of "function before fashion"

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gil, I like the auxiliary mounted drill. Are you planning to run some kind of extra off that? Say an extra pump? Or a maybe a revolving satellite dish?

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

LC
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be daft!!!  I will keep it strictly for it's intended use - winding up our collection of rare Swiss cuckoo clocks that we have in the back Wink

Well, I had to mount that big disconnect switch properly:

This might also have a use as a primitive anti-theft device. Obviously it wouldn't take long to bypass, but it might make someone think twice. It cuts the negative feed to everything connected to the cranker as well as the negative feed to the split charging/cuckoo clock power module.

I got the solar panel wiring and regulator wired in. This just feeds the rear batteries, in the event I wanted to charge the cranker (crisis time) it would be easy enough to undo two wires or swap batteries.

I say it again, the cargo barrier is so damn useful for mounting stuff to. I also mounted a fire extinguisher on there - securely bolted with a quick fist picked up on last leave.

I wasn't happy with the heavy cables coming up through the floor into the rear batt box, so I also got a hole saw and fitted a BIG cable gland from an industrial panel. I was concerned about cables chaffing with big currents.

On the passenger side of the barrier there is also a totally over engineered switch for the sub-tank pump.  Looks kind of like a self destruct button or nuclear launch console.  Turn switch, press illuminated push button.  Cool as.  It was 'liberated' from our electrical w/shop...  more fun than a small toggle switch.  Adds to the sense of drama.  "hold tight darling we are switching to the sub-tank.  On my mark, turn key, push fire button - whey hey we are PUMPING"  

The towing strap is lying around still from recovering a 3.5 ton Kia light truck that ploughed into a swamp...  Nae bother at all.
gilghana

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure people are tired of pictures of switches, valves and things like that, so here are some West African trip pictures to break it up and whet appetites!  And it does say pictures "in action".  Okay my Defender is not a LC, but I did paint it a Toyota colour...

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

B@ST@RD  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

Now I HAVE to win the Lotto  Wink

Pleased to see you adopting the true LR stance (under the bonnet  Wink), and that you solicited the services of a decent tow vehicle  Laughing

What fantastic scenery - obviously not all Ghana? - looks a bit like you headed up to Mauritania / Western Sahara?  Place names to pics, please?

BTW - love the goats!!  Only in Africa - reminds me of the one about at OR Tambo Int'l:  'Which plane is going to Lesotho?' - answer - 'the one with the roof-rack'  Wink

And you must have pee'd off that madala umfaas something special!!
Olazz

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:

And you must have pee'd off that madala umfaas something special!!

Ja, she looks pretty p*ssed off....... if pictures could talk !

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
gilghana

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are all from Mali, mostly around the Dogon area.  Superb place...  

Cross posted from last Thursday:

Well, the last couple of days have been hectic - I got sick on Monday/Tuesday and that put a serious blip in the prep... however we are there!
Spare filters, belts, hoses, fluids, tools and loads of camping stuff is stowed aboard. The contents of the kitchen drawer is laid out ready for tomorrow. Last minute prep is done and container test fit (tent will have to come off ) done. Coolant changed (it was a dodgy mixture...). Tested everything - but unfortunately the real shake down test couldn't happen.

So tomorrow we take the car down to Takoradi and stuff it in... Gulp! My brain is fried - after 6 months of planning it's so last minute now I am wondering what 'vital' thing is forgotten... Oh well I will have 30 days (hopefully!) to think about it!

So the last Ghana pictures will be container loading after the w/e, but in the meantime here is our last minute fabrication. The BBQ grid I am really pleased with   Okay the shower curtain will be put on a sliding rod that goes into a roof bar. Otherwise here are our last prep pictures. It has been a blast, and thanks for all the interest/appreciation and encouragement. The thread will continue in a few days, then a bit of a break and then we will resume from an internet cafe somewhere in Southern Africa!

This is two IKEA shower curtains stitched together and on a foldable spring steel top frame:

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - that's a cool braai grid!!  Clever.  When in SA you can look at the Jackalberry canvas stuff and get seat covers, as well as a dust-bin bag that also fits to the rear spare wheel.

Good luck!!
gilghana

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary - seat covers are in place already...  Australian ones actually (apologies to my African brothers  Wink)  The rubbish bag I just bungee a plastic fertilizer sack to a rear spare...  When it stinks I ditch it!
Yah the Braai grid I like - saves mucking up inside and saves space.  

So here's the last Ghana pics. As I speak it is hopefully being put on a boat... Now I know why Ghana has a bit of a problem as a drugs transit hub We loaded the car, messed around lashing down and securing the tent and then sealed the container ourselves - no one, not one security/customs check... I dunno what temp was inside the container, but crawling around with container belts was HOT. Believe it or not I had to dismantle the rear tyres and mounting hubs on the carrier to get the tent in behind the truck.

After the container stuffing we left to our favourite beach spot for a couple of days of this:

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh very cool - of course you do know we are all probably very jealous right about now  Laughing

Even SWAMBO was not a happy bunny at that last pic  Wink having just completed her final clinical medicine exam yesterday  Rolling Eyes

Now - if she'd just get working I may be standing like that looking very pleased with myself one of these days!   Twisted Evil
gilghana

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here I have to comment Wink :
The 80 series pictured was "well used" and not that reliable...  The IP was totally shot with fuel consumption through the roof!  My Defender was totally rebuilt and prepped, but stupid stuff let me down on countless occasions JUST on this trip:
- water pump
- alternator (about three times)
- fan belt idler bearing seizing
- wheel bearings working loose
- blown turbo hose and the usuall oil leaks everywhere.

It was all a bit of a palaver!  The 80 did have to recover me to a town at one stage where I had to modify the idler to get home...  However at the Mali/BF border the 80 dropped a valve Laughing Phhhffft. Stop.

We ended up with three of us in our two seat Defender going hell for leather for home and leaving the two girls not working to stay with the 80.  I then had to organise a used 1HZ on a bus up to Mali from Ghana....  they got home almost two weeks later.  Of course the 80 should never have even left for the trip in the condition it was in...

garystockton wrote:

Pleased to see you adopting the true LR stance (under the bonnet  Wink), and that you solicited the services of a decent tow vehicle  Laughing

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it - leave the girls to look after the truck while the boys head off for more cold beer  Twisted Evil  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Glad it turned out ok, and glad you graduated to a Cruiser - you know it's the stronger vehicle!  The reason why Landie spares are so easily obtrainable throughout Africa is becasue so many of them died on the roads there, or were just abandoned!  The design (of the Defender) lends itself to over-loading, and it's already top-heavy before you start adding racks and tents etc. - most I've seen are an acident looking for a place to happen.  BUT there are the feww that just do go on for ever.  I've driven many a military LR in the dark after the Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electrical system decided to pack up.  Not the best way to negotiate Chimanimani mountain passes, or the Zambesi valley and elephants!
gilghana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys - we are officially off...
Saturday night/Sunday morning was the mother of all leaving parties...  Sunday was supposed to be packing but we got waylaid by a massive curry lunch.  Today was packing time - all the stuff we have and don't need on our trip.  Has been hectic!  
Tomorrow we hit the road - boxes of stuff get's (hopefully) shipped to Germany on the basis that Julia has a garage and I dont!  GPS is loaded with maps,
passport, wallet CHECK!

First of is some weeks R&R in Spain - then Germany and LTU to Namibia first week in July.  Totally mixed emotions at this stage - so many people stopping by to say farewell.  On the one hand we are so excited, on the other hand we are sad...  14 years in this place.  

Who knows where we end up!  As I said the trip is open and very loosely planned, I just hope MSC and their multiple vessels come right.  This will be the last time I can access TLOCUK for a while, so I just want to say thanks for the interest and particularly to Gary S whom I have never met but feel like I have.  He lives in my home town and also obviously has a" foot" in Africa - and has always been quick to comment and encourage.  

I am not really into this blog/website aspect of travelling - would rather just post a thread here and on 'mud, so stay tuned!  
Gil & Julia
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gil - but not to worry - it's just me living vicariously!!

Wishing you and Julia Bon Voyage, and Hamba Gahle through Africa - it's a dream come true - you guys have worked hard, now go play  Wink  Laughing

All the best - stay in touch - and if you need any help, shout.  The boys on LCCSA are waiting for you, I think!

BTW - try Coastways Tours in Namibia if you want to get into the concession areas - great team, and well thought of.  And remember to have a cold Windhoek or Tafel for me!!

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: