Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

I have just bought a 06 LC5..wow what a car!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55    Post subject: I have just bought a 06 LC5..wow what a car! Reply with quote

Hi everyone..Until yesturday i was the very proud owner of a VX 3.4 Colorado. absolutely beautiful car..never gave me 'any' problems in the 4 years i owned it.. It took me across continents, through mud, fields, forests and more recently was a great aid to my work as a freelance news cameraman during the Snow Chaos stories.

What was apparent was that my relationships would break down, my phone would crash, my bank card would occasionally be declined lol, my camera and sound gear would develope faults but one thing i could always rely on was my trusty ole Landcruiser..it seemed so devoted to me that i felt a tear rolling down my cheek as it was driven away (maybe i should apply to work on drama ha ha)

My new (well second hand) LC5 has one owner only 17k miles an ICE install (Toyota) with screens (cant seem to gat the IR headphones to work though at mo.. The D4D is first diesal i have ever owned (must remember not to put petrol in doh ) but wow it pulls well, i thought id be left short changed by the D4D but no way.

It is a bit floaty even on the sport setting and can give you that feeling that you have just hit the Bay of Biscay occasionally but i'm sure i can get used to that.

I have the 2005/2006 sat nav disc and i feel a bit upset about having no postcode entry (Does the update have Postcode?), The voice sounds like a middle aged divorcee (but again i will get used to this lol.. as i did with my previous sat nav voice that sounded like Moyra Stewart)

I drove for miles and stopped at an all night  Tesco to fill the CD changer up with musical fuel.. James Bond Compilation, Billy Joel and Dave Peace's Tance ambient Anthems (for when i feel like lying about my age to passers by)

Theres a funny button inside the cubby box in the centre console..no idea what its for..it seems to be attached to a little box..i pressed it and nothing happens lol...any ideas what it does? Ejector seat, flux capacitor?

I have tried to find fault with my purchase so far...i pulled into motorway Service station and then a Jeep Commander parked its nasty big toothed grill right in my face, it was like i was up against Joanna Lumleys false vaneers and i thought 'na...i got a good deal here'

I better goto bed now..i just want to go for another drive but i have work tommmorow and i'll have to take a Nytol to knock me out..I can see why you guys rant and rave about the 120 now.

This forum rocks!

Cheers

Si
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si, I think that you'll find that if you go into 'destination' then 'Town or City' you'll see an option to enter the name or further down - the postcode. It's actually not that good in my view. You enter the first digits and then it gives you a range of options.

OK, you want ABC-123. You type in ABC -1 and then that's a far as it goes. It lists all the street that start ABC-1. High Street, Long Street, Left Street etc. If you don't know the name of the road, IT'S NO HELP!!!!.
If I knew the name of the road, I would have types that in!

I find it a little slow to update too, especially on a roundabout. You move faster then the pointer does, in other words. Get used to going around again.
I have had much better GPSs than this one.

Anyway, you'll love the vehicle. That's a very nice piece of kit, the LC5.

LC
SimonF

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Landcrusher. (love the name he he)

I think its the 2005/2006 disc just before postcodes were invented lol. I have some Toyota Vouchers for £60 so might put em towards the latest disc. but yeah know what you mean..I had a really good Pionneer flip out screen in the Colorado..managed to get it out before i sold it..but that did everything full postcode the lot... Its ok I'm not complaining..would be nice if they added full postcodes at some point..its just a pain someone sending you a postcode then having to call them to tell them you need the full address lol.

I'll try get some pics up soon its a kind of Storm Grey colour with privacy tints all round..wanted a black one originally but there are too many black ones around lol..so the stormy grey colour seems quite unique.

Other question is i dont understand why although being a 2006 it still seems to have the spare wheel hanging on the back rather than underneath...any ideas? i thought it was only the LC3/LC4 that had this...again i dont mind it makes it look more like a purposeful 4x4 rather than a people carrier I guess.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Std on the LC4 and 5 was an under-slung spare, but you could select a rear mount as an option. Handy for shooting off!

I had an AVIC Pioneer 7" flip up too. I stuck it in my LC3. Worked a treat. Had ipod interface and 6 CD changer too. They're now in my Colorado and doing a fine job. Would have liked the DAB module too. I may find one somewhere hanging about, I guess. Mine was a dark grey too. I loved it.

Here it is. (err was)

LC

And now it's in here

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Simon,
The wallow,

You still have the Grandtrek's on ?

Slip on some decent rubber.

265 x 70 x R17 BF Goodrich All Terrains.

Pump them up to 38 psi, and feel it handle bends like a car.

They do ride good the 120's, I must admit.

I never thought a biggish 4x4 could be so good.

My son has the 1997 Surf, with the 3.0L TD engine.

Now if you hadn't been in a 120, then you would thing the Surf rides pretty well, agricultural.

Chalk and cheese to the 120.
-

-

-
Give a modest rise in height also.

'vette
SimonF

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Landcrusher and UK Vette. yep thats the same colour and yep same sat nav... Pioneer rocks though it did break down on me once screen went blank...there was a general fault and it was fixed by pioneer for free even though it was out of warrenty.

I just got back from working this evening and just had to go out for a drive in it..so I'm going to bed late again as you can see by the posting time lol... I am not working till 4pm tommorow so couldn't resist.

I notice theres some sort of CB radio underneath the Pioneer...thats one of the many things i liked about the Colorado..the two din slots..

I'll take your advice on the tyres (i will check and report back on the Grandteks  its too dark now) and change them for those. when i'm due I guess.. but i'm off to South of France in June so i'll get some use out of wallowy ones he he... will put some more psi in the em though like you said.

Next thing i want is a DVB tuner, but i want to try get it to run on the sat nav screen..then some offroad lamps to go on the A bar..I'll try get some pics up soon...

Your LC4 looks great what happened to it...nothing bad i hope?

Si
SimonF

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Vette, those tyres really do look purposeful, love the idea of gaining a few inches (like any man does ha ha) mainly to look down on Social Climbers driving Range Rovers lololol (i'm not like that honest...lol)

How much do they cost? Will check em out...

Thanks so much for making me feel so welcome btw... you seem like a really good bunch!

Si
(-:
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Simon,
The tyres do look good, but it wouldn't be a few inches gained, just an inch at most, (hope that info don't upset the wife) Smile
Offroad 4x4,  (might also be known a West Coast Custom) will do a 50mm lift kit fitted for around 500.00 'ish
More than enough to keep the wife smiling eh !
-
The tyres, well I don't want to damp you enthusiasm, but I can't think of many tryes more expensive than BFG,
I think a new 256 x 70 x R17 will set you back 135.00 a corner then add vat.

OK, there must be a reason there so expensive, I ma sure if  you only buy them once, and get upwards of 70,000 miles then thats ok.

I remember a comment, might have been on here, infact it WAS,
IT WAS LANDCRUSHER, really made me laugh,
He said he knew of a Disco with BGF's on, that had done 110,000 miles.
The tyres he said were good, he was just 'gobsmacked' that the Disco had got that far !
-
Some from Oslo

-

-
Some ones LC in action (not mine)

-

-

-

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neat thing was, Si, that is was a company car!! Things changed at trade in time and I went with an Avensis the next time. Too boring to explain why. Yes, that's my CB under the tuner. I had the Pioneer fitted to a double din, with a fitting kit that gave you a cubby hole underneath to take up the space. It was really good. It fitted with no permanent fasteners so there were no holes when it went back to the company. It was locked in, not screwed.

LC
SimonF

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed these posts..I have been too busy enjoying the beast.

I WILL post some pics as soon as i get a chance (when i run out of diesel that is lol)

Only niggles sofar is that the toyota installed DVD player/screens dont seem to be sending sound the I/R headphones. though there is an RF route on the stereo.

I'm wanting to get Freeview DVB installed and hoping i can get it to feed pictures to the front screen too!!!!!

Next project is Spotlamps for the bullbars and possible HID upgrade for the lights (if anyone knows where to get best value HID's from please let me know!)

I will get those tyres you suggested before the winter.

My first big trip is to Toulouse and back via Bilbao ferry to Portsmouth and out via Dover (round trip) I just hope this truck is as reliable as my ole Colorado VX.

Sorry about the delay in replying thanks for the warm welcome too.

Si
(-:
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a silly thing, but check the A/B setting on the 'phones agrees to the setting on the console, and that the volume on the 'phones is turned up  Wink
The volume on the screen in the headrest is just for show!  I assume you got the ICE manual when you bought the vehicle?  If not let me know and I'll send you the relevant bits - all the info you need is there - it's bigger than the vehicle manual, practically!

Cheers

Gary

oh - and watch out for the rear suspension  Rolling Eyes
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, there is a much later update DVD disk available for the sat nav. A bit pricey at about £150 though. I've yet to find any postcode info but mine's a '04 model so maybe the sat nav brain in my car can't dela with it. The system is not just as intuitive as it could be but it's OK.
leon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:

The tyres, well I don't want to damp you enthusiasm, but I can't think of many tryes more expensive than BFG,
I think a new 256 x 70 x R17 will set you back 135.00 a corner then add vat.

OK, there must be a reason there so expensive, I ma sure if  you only buy them once, and get upwards of 70,000 miles then thats ok.

I remember a comment, might have been on here, infact it WAS,
IT WAS LANDCRUSHER, really made me laugh,
He said he knew of a Disco with BGF's on, that had done 110,000 miles.
The tyres he said were good, he was just 'gobsmacked' that the Disco had got that far !

wow !
back up there ...you saying BFG's can do 100k on the road ? (avg of 10k a year thats 10 years  Shocked ) are they a very hard rubber ? dose that not make them slid in the wet if there so hard ?

on my surf i had Pirelli scorpions seems good never moved in the snow been on about 1 year still look new never heard of the tryes on my LC probly the cheepect ones at the time before i got it they were about the 110 mark each   but oh my god 100k out of tryes  Shocked
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
SimonF

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notcice re: air suspension that i have hi/middle/low setting...is it supposed to go to 'low' after going over a certain speed...if so it dosnt lol... also it will only go high or low at about 5mph and as soon as you increase speed it goes to normal is this right ?
leon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

low is for old people to get out the car ( no joke ) and the car will move back to normal over 5 mph
normal is your every day driving at any speed  
high is for driving over things  Razz gose back to normal over15- 20mph i beleave
in "L" gear the car will i beleave stay in high to grater speeds for off roading etc  and i think it if stuck will lift an extra 1.5 inch's untill it  free's its self  

it also auto levels abit when driving and if your going down the road and have to tern fast to miss somthing it will stiffen to stop it rolling over  Wink  

Quite a amazing bit of kit realy  Cool
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: