Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Overlanding Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parsons104

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Overlanding Insurance Reply with quote

Hi guys,
          I'm planning a bit of an excursion up into russia, kazahkstan etc leading through to iran and heading to syria, should be an interesting trip! However I'd love to know how other overlanders deal with insurance?
   Firstly vehicle insurance, what is available and which companies offer the best policies? I assume fully comp is non existant beyond europe but what about third party? Do people bother covering their kitted out vehicles or just hope for the best and take it easy?
  Secondly travel insurance, which companies offer the best policys? Will they cover items in the vehicles etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Henry
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fazc76

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious about Iran and Syria? Shocked
Have you ever been there before or do you know anyone personally who has been there?

www.oxfordbreakdownrecovery.co.uk
parsons104

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Faz,

fazc76 wrote:
Are you serious about Iran and Syria? Shocked
Have you ever been there before or do you know anyone personally who has been there?" Shocked

Well yeah i'm totally serious about both, if you've been there and/or you think i'm crazy I'd love to know more, I'm early on in the research stage for this trip but from what I've seen so far the plans feasible, will require a good bit of prep but that's no drama.
No I dont know anybody who's been there recently.

Also It would appear that vehicle travel insurance is done country by country in most cases when this far out if you can get it. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Henry
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for any fuss over Syria and Iran - I haven't driven into either country but knowing a number of people who do business there and/or have driven through them, there are generally no major issues going to either if you've got the visas and paperwork in order. I believe Syria is significantly easier to get visas for and the people are very friendly - you'll probably be surprised at the warm welcome you get from the general population as they're sick & tired of being viewed as "terrorists" by the West and they see relatively few tourists taking an interest in their country.

Iran I suspect might be a struggle to get a visa for, especially to drive a vehicle in/through. I would suggest applying for this visa first so you know one way or the other whether it will be part of your route and you can plan accordingly.

Also you may want to "lose" your passport after visiting these places before you visit a really uptight country, such as the US. I can guarantee that you will get to spend plenty of time getting to know a US Border & Immigration official when arriving in the US if they see an Iranian visa in your passport!  Shocked  Likewise if you have an Israeli visa in your passport when applying for the Iranian visa, you can probably forget about getting a visa.

Sorry I have nothing to contribute on the insurance side, which was the point of this thread Wink

Cheers,
Andrew

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few customers heading that way and one enroute at the moment - your best bet for visa, insurance and other info is the HUBB - http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ - it's one of the best overlanding sites on the net - it was originally for bikers, but has been extended to embrace other  vehicles.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: