Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

A days laning at Salisbury plain

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - the shiny one broke Sad

After a god couple hours driving I heard the dreaded hiss-hiss-hiss-hiss. When I stopped, it was just hisssssssssssssssss.
Myself and one other got a puncture. I put the spare on (thanks to those for the help) and found the nearest main road home. I did not want to have another puncture and no spare. Not sure the AA would appreciate coming out to me Smile
Think I will carry a "spare-in-a-can" from now one for just in case.
Once home I could see the puncture. It's a 1.5 inch gash clean through the shoulder of tyre. Not nice. I may see if the suggestion on the other thread about truck tyre repair will work and keep it as a spare.
Bummer as the tyre is only 3 days old!

None the less, I had great fun and was good meeting everyone.

I also need to figure out how to make my car dirtier. It looks like I drove through one puddle Sad Not very impressive.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 17:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Rob and Trev for organising and leading today! I think everyone enjoyed themselves - a nice warm day to be meandering around the Plain!
Nice to meet more of the friendly TLOCUK crowd and put faces to names! I hope everone made it home safely and in one piece.

Crispin, sorry to hear of your misfortune - I heard the comments over the radio about punctures and worries that more might result. The Dunflops that come standard on the 120 are slated for their off-road performance but sometimes it's just bad luck that you hit a sharp rock at just the right angle. Unfortunately you've found that out first hand that the Grand Treks are not very tough. The Dunflops I believe are nice and quiet on road but useless off it.  Confused  Pity you can't trade them in against something a bit more robust... Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the pre-puncture part of the day.  Very Happy

Who had the other puncture?

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Tommo&Claire
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 18:05    Post subject: Puncture Reply with quote

I did!  Big lump of sharp flint right through the centre of the tread.  That was only 5ply GGAT2's!!

2002 95 Series LC 3.0D4D, Grabber AT2s, Safari Snorkel.
1998 90 Series LC 3.0TD for Mrs T
2007 Rottweiler.
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:
Many thanks to Rob and Trev for organising and leading today! I think everyone enjoyed themselves - a nice warm day to be meandering around the Plain!
Nice to meet more of the friendly TLOCUK crowd and put faces to names! I hope everone made it home safely and in one piece.

Crispin, sorry to hear of your misfortune - I heard the comments over the radio about punctures and worries that more might result. The Dunflops that come standard on the 120 are slated for their off-road performance but sometimes it's just bad luck that you hit a sharp rock at just the right angle. Unfortunately you've found that out first hand that the Grand Treks are not very tough. The Dunflops I believe are nice and quiet on road but useless off it.  Confused  Pity you can't trade them in against something a bit more robust... Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the pre-puncture part of the day.  Very Happy

Who had the other puncture?

Cheers,

Yes - thanks for the organising and navigation.

DesperateZulu - I returned with most of the biltong I brought. It was shared around our group, some more keen than others but no "real" biltong eaters....
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
Yes - thanks for the organising and navigation.

DesperateZulu - I returned with most of the biltong I brought. It was shared around our group, some more keen than others but no "real" biltong eaters....

Damn.....missed out on trying that and I was looking forward to it.

Cracking day folks,   sorry we had to fade out early but it was good fun all the same. The motor looks like it's meant to with hardly any paint showing through the mud.

Sorry your first trek out in your new motor was spoiled Crispin, I hope it doesn't put you off coming out with us again.

Bussaboy, hope you got home okay.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
mark whiteside

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

a big thanks to Rob and Trev for a great day out
a good turn out by all and good to put names to faces
just a pitty there was not more mud and watering holes next time we will have to do a rain dance
but still going to take a few hours to clean the lc

1994 12v uk 80 auto 4" tjm lift 1.5 body lift ARB bumper 37" tyres safari snorkel 30mm wheel spacers
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="garystockton"]Don't go pointing that laser at anything military  Wink  it might respond and you'll have BIG damage to worry about  Laughing  Laughing

Reminds me of the story of the two traffic cops that decided to see how fast an RAF Tornado was going and almost ended up as road-kill because the plane thought it was being targeted  Laughing  Laughing   Pity the pilot called off the strafing run  Mad  Cool

GO BOKKE!! - oh - wait - we won - again - even having to play the Lions [i]and [/i]the idiot Burger Evil or Very Mad ...

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing[/quote]

Sadly an urban myth , also attributed to a Harrier and a Jaguar at times . Jag pilot would have just eased the stick down a tad and taken them out with his wing tip.  Cool
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:

Damn - very disappointed to have missed out on that!  Crying or Very sad  I did have leftovers from our victory braai last night for my lunch!

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good to meet up with old and new friends.  We had a great day out.  
Trev and Rob - many thanks for organising the day and leading.  
Sorry to hear about the punctures - I can just imagine an AA recovery vehicle making a controlled hill decent to pull up besides a muddy hole to sort out a puncture - it would make a good ad Smile  
I gave the LC a quick spray with the garden hose but its going to take a power wash to remove the clay.  

cheers

Reinhard
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wish to add my thanks to Rob and Trev for organising the day.  Was good to put faces to names.

Sorry to hear about the punctures suffered.  I was suprised at how many stones my BFG ATs picked up and held in the tread.  

Ian
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the byways on the Plain generally open and accessible?  Is it weekends only?  And can you / do you have to check accessibility in advance or can you just show up and see which byways are open?

thanks

Reinhard
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesperateZulu had said it's always a free for all. Unsure about weekends / weekdays though.

The puncture has not put me off. Already looking for replacement (Thinking of BFG KO tyres?) and already wondering what I can use for next weekend's reason for going (Tried the "Honey you should have another baby shower" option - did not work Sad  )
I am though going to go on an impromptu trip though in the next few weekends. I'll advertise it first though. Company would be nice.
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpinDrift wrote:
Are the byways on the Plain generally open and accessible?  Is it weekends only?  And can you / do you have to check accessibility in advance or can you just show up and see which byways are open?

thanks

Reinhard

Reinhard,

I believe that the Plain is generally open to the public, OTHER than when the military is doing its thing  Shocked  The white gates/booms are closed at the main access/entrance points when the army is using it and also the red flags will be up at various points. If you went on when the army was using it, marshals would be onto you pretty quickly.

So yes, it's open to the public most of the time. You can show up and take your chances but if there are army manoeuvres going on, then you may be disappointed. Not sure if there is an easy way of confirming in advance. Ecky Thump and Tommo are more familiar with the details of how, when and why the Plain is open and can give a better qualified answer than mine.

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the reply.  With the Plain being just over an hour away from where I live in Berks it must be on eof the closest greenlaning areas for me - although I believe there are some lanes in Surrey - near Hindhead - but I haven't been there.  Must do some research.  

cheers

Reinhard
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpinDrift wrote:
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the reply.  With the Plain being just over an hour away from where I live in Berks it must be on eof the closest greenlaning areas for me - although I believe there are some lanes in Surrey - near Hindhead - but I haven't been there.  Must do some research.  

cheers

Reinhard

Reinhard

If you come across some in Surrey, let me know, A bit shorter than going over to the Plain.

Tommo has all the relevant phone numbers for the range marshalls on the plain and generally checks before we plan to go over there.
There are a few places you are not supposed to go but these are few and far between and someone will tell you if you are in the wrong place.
The art is to be very apologetic and move on which is all they want.

The only time we fell foul was to have a picnic in a copse of trees. We were asked to move on simply because we would have been in the way
if any military vehicles wanted access.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: