4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Grinding some of front caliper away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:35    Post subject: Grinding some of front caliper away Reply with quote

Hello all,
I bought a nice set of second hand Speedline alloy wheels for my 120.

17 inch 8.5J

So I hotfooted into Warrington, and got the local tyre guy to put my new muds on.
Man did they look good. Really good on the 8,5J

So all excited I get home and jack the Land Cruiser up.
First the drivers rear, on they go and drop it down.
The tyre and rim fit perfect.
Go to the drivers front, *beep*   Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad  Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad  Evil or Very Mad  Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad  Evil or Very Mad

They don't fit over the front caliper.
I just run all the nuts on to a bit more than finger tight, and the wheel will not seat against the hub mounting face.
Taking the wheel back off, I can see 2 x catching points where the inside of the rim catches the caliper.

Now over on LCOL I read that they have on occassion, grinded (sp) some of the caliper off to make it fit.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_series/wheels/16inch.html
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/sutra1602093.php

'vette
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be VERY, VERY careful - I read recently on the SA forum where someone ground off too much on the caliper and went through..... obviously it's cast, and shouldn't be welded or stitched, so a new caliper is needed...  The thinking at the moment seems to favour spacers to resolve this issue.  Look at TBR-UK site, and remeber the 10% discount you get there for TLOCUK membership!

It seems odd though that one rim doesn't fit - is there a fault on the rim, and do any of the other rims fit on the driver side?  Can't see why the calipers should be different sizes??

Good luck!  Wink
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,
It's both front rims that don't fit   Twisted Evil

I will measure the scratch marks on the inner rim and calculate .

'vette
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - keep us informed, because the LCOOL guys use this method to go to 16" rims which give you more flexibility (but you knew that of course!!)
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think grinding the calipers down is a high risk option in terms of liability even if there are people out there who appear to be having no problems with this mod. Imagine how that's going to go down with your insurance company if you have a serious accident  Shocked Given how much manufacturers invest to keep weight to a minimum I'd guess Toyota thinks all of that metal needs to be there ...

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

My thoughts are,
If in OZ they are grinding sufficient cast off the calipers to fit 16 inch wheels, then I will only be skimming the surface.

I have done some measurements from the scratch marks on the inner rim, and the distance still needed for the rim to sit square on the hum. (The gap between the front of the hub, and the back of the mounting surface on the rim.)
The distance that the rim was sitting off the hub, when in  contact with the calipers was about 6 - 7mm on the caliper half of the hub.
The side of the hub opposite the caliper allowed the rim and the hub to close up no problem.

So, I measured the very slight difference between the diameter of the inner rim where the scratches occured, and again measured a further 7 mm down to the hub, the difference was about 1,25mm, this was due to the angle of inner rim, wider diameter at the very back of the rim, , and slightly narrower diameter the part of the rim closest to the mating surface of the rim.

It looks like I need 1,5mm off the top side of the caliper, and 1mm off the bottom side of the caliper.

God knows how much they in OZ have to grind off to get 16 inch on, it must be, God, I don't even want to think about it !  6mm grinding off maybe ?

I am inclined to give it a shot, looking at the caliper, I can hardly see 1,5mm of the top will have any effect at all.
The images on LCOL show it very good, but they seem to have really took a lot off.
Far more than I would ever be prepared to do.

Opinions,

'vette
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get me some popcorn and a beer and sit back and watch this one  Wink  Laughing
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Me too. And I have a couple of calipers for sale too! Laughing

In all seriousness. 1.5mm doesn't sound like much as long as you don't perforate a fliud channel I suppose.
4runner

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

still the insurance co issue?    (runs away and hides  Very Happy

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are serious about grinding the calipers(?!!), a little suggestion.

Don't just attack it with an angle grinder. Take a small diameter drill (3mm?) and make a few holes in the side of the caliper that you intend to grind away. Drill in until the tip of the drill has penetrated by the amount you intend to remove. Use the hole as a reference as you grind off metal.

You may want to drill several holes over each area you intend to grind.

I hope the reason is apparent. If you just grind it can be difficult to tell how much metal has been removed.

If you only want to removed 1mm, you can score the metal first with the corner of a file - with a flat faced file use the edge where the face and side of the file meet. The groves serve the same purpose as the pre-drilled holes.

In fact if you only want to remove 1mm you might prefer to stick to the file rather than use an angle grinder or electric drill with a sanding disk - better control and less risk of removing too much.

Good luck

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

It is a case of take a little off each time, maybe just .25mm,  try the wheel, check the scratches, take a bit more off, another .25mm maybe, and repaeat.

Good idea with the corner of the file with the 'non-safe' edge for sighting removed land.

'vette
Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like excellent advice from Willy.  It's easy to get carried away with an angle grinder and you've know acurate way of knowing how much you've taken off, and you obviously can't put any back! Shocked
The only advice I have is that I guess it's pretty dificult to measure exactly how much you need to remove at which points.  I would therefore aim to take it off .5mm at a time, probably with a file as Willy says.  It will take you longer, but will no doubt be a better and more controlled job and will take off absolutely no more than is necessary - which is good for obvious reasons.
By the way, I am in no way suggesting that you do this.  Just offering advice in case you do decide to go ahead Wink
Oh, and obviously try to do it when you haven't had a few beers Rolling Eyes
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have a start tomorrow morning,
I haven't got the time just now, and I don't want to rush it.

Yes, Willi's idea is a good one, I never thought of that, but it will show just how much is being taken off.
I have a nice small 100mm angle grinder, very light an controlable'

I will do the 'before & after ' photos.

Oh, on another note, I have done loads of searching on the 'net, and in OZ, there is a guy who put 15 inch wheels on, I can't believe just how much 'meat' he must have took off!
/

/

Now then I really would be scared to 'tramp brakes' knowing I had ground so much off, that is frightening

'vette
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he just took the calipers off before fitting the 15" wheels!!

Willy
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Willy wrote:
Perhaps he just took the calipers off before fitting the 15" wheels!!

Willy
Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: