NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LC 80 Update

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olazz

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 17:09    Post subject: LC 80 Update Reply with quote

The truck is coming together now and beginning to look like a proper truck

ARB air-lockers front and rear. (own compressor)
100% duty OBA
Safari snorkel
Rebuilt front axle
4x Wheel bearings and seals

Still to do/organise

Can't decide on a rear 160l tank.. not too keen on having 200kgs hanging over rear axle. may just fit 60l sub tank and carry 4x jerry empty until needed.
Rear drawer system
Hot shower system... not sure which... may go for the Kariba version

Onwards and upwards

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com

Last edited by Olazz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 0:20; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 17:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very lekker Olazz!!

When I was in Cape Town a couple of weeks ago I went to Outdoor Warehouse and had a look at the Kariba shower, and it seems to be a bit of a schlep to use.  I think I quite like Gil's (Ghana) heat exchanger Aussie shower where the water gets heated from engine heat during the day and you end up with a full tank of warm / hot water rather than using a relatively inefficient heating mechanism.  Much less kitunda to haul around as well.  The Kariba, for the money, just looked a tad shoddy to me.

I've still got my 'volcano' style shower (I'll post pics later) and think it's OK - it works, anyway, and I reckon you and your welding skills could knock up an equivalent quite easily.  You can fit the shower rose to a mount on your rack, put up a shower cubicle thing and have a great shower like that!

Cheers
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy $hit, Olazz - that's looking hardcore!!!  thumbleft  Nice work! You've got some serious rubber squeezed underneath there! When are you coming out to play with some of us so that we can see the beast in the flesh?

Are you going to add sliders at some stage? What suspension do you have on there and what lift - I recall you mentioning you were doing it but can't remember what you did in the end?

I hope you've got a Sharks bumper sticker on there somewhere Very Happy

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Olazz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:
Holy $hit, Olazz - that's looking hardcore!!!  thumbleft  Nice work! You've got some serious rubber squeezed underneath there! When are you coming out to play with some of us so that we can see the beast in the flesh?

Are you going to add sliders at some stage? What suspension do you have on there and what lift - I recall you mentioning you were doing it but can't remember what you did in the end?

I hope you've got a Sharks bumper sticker on there somewhere Very Happy

Cheers,

DZ

Not thinking of fitting rock sliders... truck more prepared for overlanding rather than rock climbing
Wheels are 10X16 steel
Tyres 6x Mickey Thompson baja claws
6"lift Rancho 5000 series (from usa)
Front and rear tow receiver
Warn 1200 winch
African outback roof rack
(lots of other useful bits that will make it a self-sufficient in the bush)

I've just had arrive from the US a little toy to add to the truck... when done I'll post on here for comment.

But still a more to do before Im happy with it.
Sadly I only have a Sharks sticker on my 60 series, (you know the plastic raised one) but haven't yet stuck one on the 80... got an AA (ZA) sticker though..

GARY

I didn't think the Kariba stuff was poorly put together, but you may have a point in that it may be a bit of a faff. I know a few guys who have used them and swear by them.

Oh and also arrived today from Zim,... pair of Courtney Selous boots...my old ones worn out.... lekker one!!!

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olazz wrote:
Not thinking of fitting rock sliders... truck more prepared for overlanding rather than rock climbing

With such a big lift, you're probably unlikely to catch anything on the OEM sidesteps but they are useless other than as steps for people to climb in. Doing some fairly mild laning with mine and I've had the sidesteps scraping on all sorts of things. My LC is on the original suspension which doesn't help of course  Rolling Eyes  Not sure you're going to find those steps contributing much, other than easier access!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go for such large rims/tyres and such a big lift for overlanding? Even with 2 spares, if you need replacements somewhere in Africa, it's going to be a struggle to find anything outside of SA...

Did you fit the ARB lockers yourself? Your truck is looking awesome and I am very envious  Very Happy

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Olazz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:
Olazz wrote:

With such a big lift, you're probably unlikely to catch anything on the OEM sidesteps but they are useless other than as steps for people to climb in. Doing some fairly mild laning with mine and I've had the sidesteps scraping on all sorts of things. My LC is on the original suspension which doesn't help of course  Rolling Eyes  Not sure you're going to find those steps contributing much, other than easier access!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go for such large rims/tyres and such a big lift for overlanding? Even with 2 spares, if you need replacements somewhere in Africa, it's going to be a struggle to find anything outside of SA...

Did you fit the ARB lockers yourself? Your truck is looking awesome and I am very envious  Very Happy

Cheers,

The side step is essential to get in to the truck.. I'm 6'3" and still need the step...  Ja for sure the lift is big, maybe too big, but having done it  just love the commanding position it gives.

The tyres and wheels were not a hard choice for me I went for steel modular (for obvious reasons) and as I've never been a big fan of either Coopers or BFG..(Had problems with both before more than once). The MK tyres are fantastic in mud, sand and gravel, they are quiet and wear well; Ok they are expensive but worth it IMO.

If  do have tyre problems its easy enough to get replacements for the 10x 16, the worst case scenario is to change all 4.
I did buy 8 MK tyres so I actually have 4 spare which I could have flown out if desperate.

TBR fitted the lockers for me and I've got to say they've done a great job. I couldn't recommend TBR highly enough for the quality of their service, attitude, and customer care both pre and much more importantly post sale!

Appreciate your comments and it does turn a lot of heads, more so than most..

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like. I want. Mmmmmm.

Proper job.

LC
24Seven

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good for a tenner, or just a 2L plastic water bottle did me, I could wash my hair and have a "shower" with only 2L's of water

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=224280

Very nice truck Olazz
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking 80 you've got there Olazz. Does the OEM wheel carrier seem like it will cope with those big heavy rims and tyres? I'm looking at swing out options for my 100 and i've always thought maybe the OEM ones wouldn't cope well with a lot of extra weight but would be the easy option to fit.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Olazz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Nice looking 80 you've got there Olazz. Does the OEM wheel carrier seem like it will cope with those big heavy rims and tyres? I'm looking at swing out options for my 100 and i've always thought maybe the OEM ones wouldn't cope well with a lot of extra weight but would be the easy option to fit.

Thanks WS

The OEM carriers are extremely well engineered (the hinges are massive) and can easily take the weight. The only potential failure point I can see is that the tubing may bend after miles of rutted roads, so I have welded braces to ensure they don't. I know someone who has 2 wheels fitted to the OEM swinger and has done many many thousands of Kms with no trouble (other than slightly bent tubing in 2 places)

IIRC, there are  a couple of double wheel carrier manufacturers out there, ARB and Kaymar. I hear that Kaymar is the better engineered of the two.

Would have gone for that option, but wheels are too big to sit side by side, so it roof rack... not sure how I'll get it down once the RTT is on the back...

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya lyk dit baie lekker meneer  Very Happy

'vette in die kaap !
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olazz wrote:
The OEM carriers are extremely well engineered (the hinges are massive) and can easily take the weight. The only potential failure point I can see is that the tubing may bend after miles of rutted roads, so I have welded braces to ensure they don't. I know someone who has 2 wheels fitted to the OEM swinger and has done many many thousands of Kms with no trouble (other than slightly bent tubing in 2 places)
Where do they bend? I don't suppose you have a picture of the braces you've added? Do the OEM carriers lock open?

Olazz wrote:
IIRC, there are  a couple of double wheel carrier manufacturers out there, ARB and Kaymar. I hear that Kaymar is the better engineered of the two.
Can't say I'm very keen on the looks of the new ARB but I think I'd make a bumper rather than buy one. For now I'm considering sticking with OEM plastic and adding a carrier, either OEM or by fabricating something off the chassis and up through the bumper corner. Looks like OEM would take a lot less time to sort out though.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Olazz

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk_vette wrote:
Ya lyk dit baie lekker meneer  Very Happy

'vette in die kaap !

Baie dankie 'Vette....

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
Olazz

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Where do they bend? I don't suppose you have a picture of the braces you've added? Do the OEM carriers lock open?

If you visualize the the wheel carrier as rounded A frame laying horizontally (the legs of the A being the hinges), the bend is north of the cross bar both top and bottom. Hope that makes sense.

Will take some pictures of the brace as soon as I get a chance.
The frame locks open with a drop pin.

wildsmith wrote:
Can't say I'm very keen on the looks of the new ARB but I think I'd make a bumper rather than buy one. For now I'm considering sticking with OEM plastic and adding a carrier, either OEM or by fabricating something off the chassis and up through the bumper corner. Looks like OEM would take a lot less time to sort out though.

Yep the OEM is pretty well tested and I believe you can still get the parts.
Here is an interesting option if you want to DIY though...

DIY BUMPER AND CARRIER

Looks pretty good and probably just as good as ARB or KAYMAR..

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olazz, that paints a pretty good picture for me. The trouble with a diy bumper is it will end up quite heavy and I'm trying to keep the weight down on this one but it's a losing battle so maybe I should just give in now!

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: