Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tickover too high

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:08    Post subject: Tickover too high Reply with quote

After a recent journey my idle speed has gone up. The throttle isn't even hitting the stop so it can't be that simple adjustment. Nothing else has changed the engine appears to run fine otherwise.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian.

There is a couple of things that may cause this. The A/C idle up valve or dirt in the fuel pump. Check that the idle speed increases and decreases as you switch on and switch off the A/C, if not then the compensator is not working.
ianp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well the aircon hasn't worked for 6 months and I've been too mean to get it fixed! Switching the aircon on has absolutely no effect to either temperature or idle. I think it needs re-gassing. You say dirt in the fuel pump - I assume you mean the high pressure injector pump? That sounds a pain I guess that would be disassemble and clean?

Maybe it's connected to the compensator all the same. The idle's only slightly high so I'll get the aircon fixed, check the compensator and see what happens.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the injector pump I mean. You may just want to run it for a few days, run some redex through it and see if it improves before dissassembling it.
DaveN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it isn't even hitting the stop, do you mean the idle stop on the pump that the throttle arm should rest on? If so, as Lucky said, it could be the idle up for the a/c, or the wax stat that opens it a little when cold. It can only be one of those two. If the arm is in the idle position, then there's something wrong in the pump, as that's what controls the idle speed when the throttle's closed.
ianp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
When you say it isn't even hitting the stop, do you mean the idle stop on the pump that the throttle arm should rest on? If so, as Lucky said, it could be the idle up for the a/c, or the wax stat that opens it a little when cold. It can only be one of those two. If the arm is in the idle position, then there's something wrong in the pump, as that's what controls the idle speed when the throttle's closed.

Yes the idle stop isn't even touching - i.e. I can't adjust the idle down anymore. I'll check the stat and the a/c idle up - maybe one of these is why it isn't hitting the throttle stop anymore. Last time I adjusted it, it was just touching if I remember correctly but now there is about a 2mm air gap.
ianp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found what appeared to be stopping the throttle from hitting the idle stop and have lowered the idle. However .......... I am sure I just removed a symptom.

There is an adjustable linkage that connects the throttle fulcrum to another fulcrum which the a/c idle up works on. That linkage was really tight so can't have moved. All the same I adjusted it to allow the idle to drop. It also looks like the a/c idle up would have to move beyond its available range before grabbing the throttle - this is before and after I changed anything.

The problem is the 2 workshop manuals I have don't have good enough pictures or explanations to fully understand how it all works. There are bits on mine that don't seem to appear in either manual! There are also adjusting screws everywhere.

There is even a cable I do not know what it does. If you pull it, it appears to close the throttle. I was wondering if this operates the kick down at full throttle as it seems to head off towards the gearbox?
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the wax stat for movement as the engine heats up?

I shouldn't worry about the a/c idle up, as it isn't required, and to be honest is a pain in the *beep* when holding it in drive at the lights with the idle speed going up and down. You need to bring the revs up a bit on a Micra, but with 4.2 litres it isn't required.

You'll also find the wax stat isn't required in this country, as the engine will tick over just fine even on the coldest mornings. In fact, the arm that connects the wax stat to the throttle arm broke off mine.

Yes, the cable is for the kickdown, assuming you've got an auto that is.
ianp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
Did you check the wax stat for movement as the engine heats up?

Is that a black looking thing near the bottom of the throttle mechanism - I had a feeling that was to blame but didn't know what it was!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: