4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Front Shock absorbor leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14    Post subject: Front Shock absorbor leaking Reply with quote

Hi

Where is the best place to buy for an front shock absorbor for my LC5 on an 06 plate.

It's the passenger side and dealers are asking for £280.

It's got full dealers service history and 53K on the clock.

thanks

Why are they expensive I rung andrew page and they said £78..........................
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tell them it's a TEMS shock?  I think you'll need to replace with a Toyota TEMS shock on an LC5, or go the route of changing all the shocks and ripping out the TEMS controllers...  I guess you don't want to do that.

Are you not still warrantied, being an 06?  And did you extend the factory warranty?
archy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 13:30    Post subject: Shock Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for the reply,
No there is no toyota warranty left  on it. It expired 24/05/2009.

I have taken out extra  cover with warranty direct though.

But cannot claim until after 90 days for wear and tear.

By the way what is TEMS Shock.

Any Ideas
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TEMS shock is the electronically modulated ones on the LC5.  The switch on the centre console that goes from comfort to sport (IIRC) sets the valving in the shock to stiffen the damping. If you look at the top of the shock in the wheel arch, you'll see an electrical connector and a set of hose-wrapped wires going in to the top of the shock absorber.  that's why they're so damn expensive.  The manual has a fairly good (better than mine, anyway) explanation.

I'd approach the dealer and see if they'll help out seeing as you're only 11 days out of warranty...
archy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do toyota allow this or can you still claim after a certain time the manufactuing warranty runs out please advise as they can say it's wear and tear.  Also will they replace it under warrenty oris it the case no manufactures warranty and sorry.

Thanks
archy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to my local toyota dealer (West riding Toyota, off Canal road bradford), and they have said it's out of warranty and toyota will not do it even though it's only 11 days out of its warranty.

The person also said she spoke to themanager and he said Toyota will not replace it as it's out of it's warranty period and we have never done any warranty work on a toyota once it's out of its manufacturers warranty.

So looks like toyota are not budging.

Any advice on what to do next.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either:

1. Bite the bullet and replace with a genuine shock
2. Shop around at breakers to see if you can find any
3. Replace all shocks with after-market ones and lose the TEMS facility (and I don't know how feasible that is - speak to Julian)

And I'd cross that dealership off my list, too.  Sounds like they're happy to help if someone pays easily (you or Toyota UK) but if it means any kind of effort they drop you.  I'd have thought they'd at least go 25% on parts and absorb labour cost.  Maybe I live in cloud cuckoo land  Rolling Eyes   One way to annoy a client  Exclamation

Good luck
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to push the goodwill issue too but to not mention WD under any circumstances or you will be swiftly ejected. 10 or 11 days is not unreasonable. Speak to Toyo UK if you have to. Not good enough for a 'young' motor.
archy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Toyota GB address Reply with quote

Hi

I have found three different address for Toyota GB to claim about my issue listed a few posts down.

Can some one please put the address of Toytoa Gb re warranty dept please.

thanks
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Re: Toyota GB address Reply with quote

archy wrote:
Hi

I have found three different address for Toyota GB to claim about my issue listed a few posts down.

Can some one please put the address of Toytoa Gb re warranty dept please.

thanks

Hi Archy

I have found this, but you may have it:

Call us on: 0845 120 6070

Fax us on: 0203 166 4115

Write to us at:

Toyota (GB) PLC
PO Box 814
Portsmouth
PO6 9AY

But I would try Customer services, and tell them its only a few days out of warranty.

and poss a change of dealer

Radiotwo
archy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I'll phone them
archy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41    Post subject: shocks Reply with quote

Hi just spoke to customer Services and they said no.

I'ts out of warranty so no we will not replace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: