4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tinted windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 16:26    Post subject: Tinted windows Reply with quote

I had the windows tinted yesterday.
3 x each side and rear done in 'Limo black'
The passenger and drivers window, just legal 25%

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 16:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

leon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool mines done too ...only draw back is you cant see a thing in the dark mind  Razz like driving a van  Cool
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your right,
Reverse parking is a bit more difficult in the day, and almost impossible in the night.
My son has his Toyota done also, so I drive his regular.
I am hoping it will serve t functions.
1. Keep the hot African sun out on our trip.
2. Keep prying eyes out.

Just before I leave, I will get the tinter to pull off the 25% from the 2 x front side windows, and do them black also.
Maybe a UV reflective on the inside of the front windscreen?

'vette
leon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe just a strip top of the windscreen ?
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
joinerman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tints on mine when i first got it, nearly killed a cyclist one night as i pulled out of a junction as i just couldn't see him, tints removed next day, yes they look good but just my opinion highly dangerous.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're serious about driving to Cape Town you may need to find out the regs for window tints in the countries you pass through - certainly in SA now they're mostly illegal and you will get pulled over and 'fined' (whether that fine be real or a back-hander) which could be a real pain.

The LC5 came with 'privacy glass' - not sure what the % tint is but it took a bit of getting used to - not too bad now though.

Cheers
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'vette, Hads mine done too a while back. Tinter said the film he put on the fornt would pass and I knew well it wouldn't. He agreed to replace it if I had to pull it off for the MOT. Well, last Sat I had to do just that and have just returned this morning from getting it refitted. He took it well in fairness so I bunged him a few quid for being decent about it.

I really wanted the rear to keep the sun off the scaldys in the back (3 of them) so it does that well. Looks smart too on a black motor like mine.

Joinerman is right too, one needs to be very careful about side visibility, hence the fairly rigorous enforcement of the front windows by the fuzz. My fronts are currently too dark to be legal but not by much.  Smile
LucieT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 16:54    Post subject: tint in Africa Reply with quote

Hi 'Vette, I had mine tinted the same as yours for my trip down to Cape Town and I never experienced any problems with the police.  Only problem was people pressing their faces up against the glass would set the alarm off!

Lucie
nick j

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

'vette, where did you get them done? I have been quoted £265 just for the back ones at a place in Northwich...
Nick
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick j wrote:
'vette, where did you get them done? I have been quoted £265 just for the back ones at a place in Northwich...
Nick

http://www.yell.com/listings/DoFindListings/4938214/Fortknox-Vehicle-Security/Car-Security
£200

Speak to 'Franie'

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: