2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Grabber AT2 written off already!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Grabber AT2 written off already! Reply with quote

Only had the General Grabbers 2 or 3 months and covered less than 3k miles.
Following a trip last weekend on that junk strewn stretch of track they call the M6, managed to pick up a large screw straight through the shoulder of the tyre, just in the area that can't be repaired.  Typical!  If it had been under the tyre itself I doubt it would even have caused a problem as the tread is so damn thick.
Recently got a similar one through the tread of a twin axle Ifor trailer I was towing on the same stretch of road!
If I could catch these fcuckers who leave screws lying around on motorways I wouldn't be held responsible  Twisted Evil
Anyway, £100 worse off now for a new tyre.  Such a waste as those AT2s are such a great big chunk of rubber and it looked more or less unused.
Testament to the strength of the side walls though as I recon there was less than 15 psi in it when I got home and the side wall had coped well at motorway speed.  A bit warm but nothing more.  
Oh, and I was towing and it was a rear tyre!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a comercial company that repairs HGV's they can repair the tyre or get it done for you, it's called a " Major " repair, done all the time on lorry tyres, tyre companies that deal with cars avoid telling the public that this can be done, they just want to sell you a new tyre.
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

joinerman wrote:
Take it to a comercial company that repairs HGV's they can repair the tyre or get it done for you, it's called a " Major " repair, done all the time on lorry tyres, tyre companies that deal with cars avoid telling the public that this can be done, they just want to sell you a new tyre.

Nice to know. Thanks! I've thrown 4 perfectly good tyres away before (no entry spikes in car park in US. Two spikes in each tyre!)
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place I took it to is a commercial tyre company.  They mostly do trucks, tractors and heavy plant etc.  They still said it couldn't be done.  Perhaps they just wanted to sell another tyre  Rolling Eyes
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of tyres, I don't suppose that anyone was so sad or unemployed enough to see a prog this morning where they were trying to see how a strong a lion is? No? Bu***er.

Well they tied a rope to a LR and got a lion to pull on it. 300KN was the result which is a lot. But in the process, the lion got a bit brassed off and had a casual go at the spare on the back of the LR. Hmm. One simple swipe and the tyre was shredded. Right through the casing. Jeez.

Imagine going to Kwik Fit with a flat and saying 'what do you think did it?' "Err, yeah like it's pretty common this mate, looks like Lion. Probably African"

No good hiding in a tent then? Maybe Marmite works as a repellent? But of course .......

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: