Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tropical storm hits Yantai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Other events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 13:12    Post subject: Tropical storm hits Yantai Reply with quote

Hi guy's

Well, our trip from the ship yard to the hotel, with the company driver, we hit a huge tropical storm.
Nothing I had ever experienced before.
Images here.

'vette
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 13:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was a real storm Shocked
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'Vette

I enjoy seeing your photos of places your visit. Thanks

I don't know if you are getting regular updates on life here in Blighty?

I live in Norfolk and over the last week my town had its own tropical storm. About 50mm rain hit the town during a 3 hours storm along with 2-3" of hail which blocked many of the drains leading to local flooding.

Some of the neighbouring towns had a similar experience 2 days ago. I don't know how much rain fell but it was at least 50mm and I did hear one area got nearly 100mm. The storm are very slow moving.

Similar weather has hit the west of England during the last couple of days but I don't have any local news for that area (Devon, South Wales). There has been flooding from these storms in the Kettering area.

It's been very hot with temperatures in the midlands and London rising to 30, with 32 forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.

I think your home base is in the Warrington area. That has had rain and it's been very warm but I don't think there have been storms.

There have also been reports of tornadoes in the south of England but none have caused significant damage. The funnels can be seen forming but they don't or barely touch the ground before dying. The local news is doing a good trade in snaps from soggy viewers!

I don't think these UK storms are as bad as you have experienced where you are, but in my life I have rarely seen rain as heavy as these local storms have produced.

Keep sending news from 'Over There'.

Good luck with your travels

Willy
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - I long for a real (SA?) storm (maybe that one is over the top!  Shocked )

Surely with the time you spent in CT you have become accustomed to that wind Smile

Nice pics!
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Willy wrote:
Hi 'Vette
Hi Willy,

I enjoy seeing your photos of places your visit. Thanks
I enjoy taking the photos of the places I go to, and sharing them,  just some where different

I don't know if you are getting regular updates on life here in Blighty?
Well, I am on with the Skype with Mrs, and she complains it is HOT

I live in Norfolk and over the last week my town had its own tropical storm. About 50mm rain hit the town during a 3 hours storm along with 2-3" of hail which blocked many of the drains leading to local flooding.
50 mm of rain is a fair old bit I can say, mixe that with the hail, and what a concoction, no wonder the drains were maxxed out !

Some of the neighbouring towns had a similar experience 2 days ago. I don't know how much rain fell but it was at least 50mm and I did hear one area got nearly 100mm. The storm are very slow moving.
I am sure 100mm of rain is going to cause some 'low lying' properties some grief,

Similar weather has hit the west of England during the last couple of days but I don't have any local news for that area (Devon, South Wales). There has been flooding from these storms in the Kettering area.

It's been very hot with temperatures in the midlands and London rising to 30, with 32 forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.
I think 30 - 32 is just too warm for UK, the temperature most enjoyed by most people in UK would probably be around 26 - 27, after that, in the UK, is is uncomfortable

I think your home base is in the Warrington area.
Yes, Warrington, Birchwood,

That has had rain and it's been very warm but I don't think there have been storms.
the Mrs, said the rain fell heavy for about 15 mins. then in 1 hour, it was so dry, it was as if the was never any rain at all !
She didn't mention much about wind, so perhaps was not so strong as down south way.

There have also been reports of tornadoes in the south of England but none have caused significant damage. The funnels can be seen forming but they don't or barely touch the ground before dying. The local news is doing a good trade in snaps from soggy viewers!

I don't think these UK storms are as bad as you have experienced where you are, but in my life I have rarely seen rain as heavy as these local storms have produced.
This is the first time I have been in the middle of a tropical storm, the rain that fell was ferocious, just un-stopping, it felt the rain drops were the size of golf balls, but I am sure I'm just exaggerating.

Keep sending news from 'Over There'.

Good luck with your travels
Thanks,

Willy

'vette
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
wow - I long for a real (SA?) storm (maybe that one is over the top!  Shocked )

Surely with the time you spent in CT you have become accustomed to that wind Smile

Nice pics!

Hi Crispin,

There is our wind, which cleans Cape Town of all the industrial atmosphere,
This is called the 'South Easter', or rather known as 'The Cape Doctor'
Most of the time when the CD blows, it is moderatly strong, and on some occasions, I have seen women hold onto lamp posts, for fear of being blown across the road.
The whole place is cleaned though, and the air feels and smells fresh and new, and revitalised.

There was quite recently a good lightning show, over Table mountain.
I have never seen it for real myself, but from the pictures I was given, it looked out of this world.
The whole mountain lit up with repeated lightening strikes.
A friend in Cape Town sent me the link, so I will find it again and post.
To be the and see it must be a huge adrenalin rush.

'vette
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite Cape Doctor memory was seeing a double-decker getting blown over as passed under the Municipality building and the massive wind swirl got it - quite awesome.  And a woman who's long skirt go whipped up and over her head - quite funny.  Nice pins she had, too  Wink   Even the traffic cop was laughing at that one!!  Adderley Street palm trees taking strain is always fun.  But Bakoven takes the cake - will find the pics tonight and post them - awesome stuff ...
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a Jo'burg boy I have never witnessed the CD. Only on the TV. Hardley does it justice and oddly, they never aired any woman's skirts being blown up Sad

Highveld storms were fun for the lightning. An awesome sight.

'vette - I think I know the storm you are referring to. A friend of mine showed me some pics from Blouburg Strand. was stunning.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 2008 - Kalk Bay:

Same storm - Bakoven:

Cape Town Lightning:

and more here:

Cape Town Lightning

Never saw anything like that in the 15 years I lived in Cape Town (the storm, yes, the lightning, nope).

Cheers

(Sorry for the hijack, 'vette  Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Other events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: