NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

OBD2 / VAG-COM etc etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:16    Post subject: OBD2 / VAG-COM etc etc Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I bought a OBD2 adapter from e bay. While it said it's for Audi / VW etc etc, I found a few sites saying the LC does use OBD2 and ISO9141 comms. This item (http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/ws/e bay.dll?ViewItem&item=230335003811) said it supports the protocol.

I though, £14 not that much of a risk.

Anyway, arrived today, tried it and nudda. Non of the software can find the car.

Anyone have any comments? (other than "you;re an idiot because it said Audi bla bla bla"  Embarassed ) Should it work?

Failing that I was looking at this one: http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/ws/e bay.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120442404474
A tad more but if it works......

Cheers,
Crispin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that some of the cars have a diagnostic socket which uses the ODB2 interface while others use a Toyota interface called MODB. This means that a lot of us can't use Scangauge or similar gadgets. I think that some of the 100 series petrol engined cars have an ODB2 interface while the diesels still have an MODB interface.

I can't tell you about other models except to say it's not straightforward. There doesn't seem to be much on offer for the MODB cars and I don't think you can adapt an ODB2 reader to work with it - which is a shame as a Scangauge or similar looks like a good tool.

Willy
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willy,

Can't say I've heard of MODB (not that I've heard of many things  Surprised )

I've returned the reader, much to the sellers upset, and bought another which claims it will work with Toyota. I've seen soem guys on PradoPoint in Aus who use scan guage so looks like it is possible on some versions....

Will update when I get it and try it. Holding thumbs...
leon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

my amazon 4.7 v8 has ODB2  (by the brake pedle in the car under the dash ) it dose have a older looking one under the hood but "the man" couldnt get any reading's out of that
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
leon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to say its a 100 mine ...just following up what willy said
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

So returned cable one and got a refund.
Bought another cable which the guy says does work with Toyota. Nudda. Plug cable in, all the lights come on on the unit but software will not connect to car. Says car now found (I'm sitting in it)

will try with other software over the weekend and see how thing go.

Hopefully I won't have to return this one as well. (I'm thinking I will have to though Sad   )
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 21:21    Post subject: LC120 is not(!) OBD2 complient :( Reply with quote

So I tried the cable on the wife's GT (while looking for the OBD2 socket I found the fuel pump fuse that had burnt black. Typical Alfa!), connected the cable, run the software and all is good. Connected, told me what was and was not supported. I could get real time data from it (How cool is that!!!!!)

So I know the cable works as does ProScan. Connect it again to the LC and nudda. Sat and screwed around with various protocols to no avail.
The cable apparently supports OBD, CAN, OBD2 and PWM which use different pins in the plug. Having a look at the supported cars on MyScanTool.com, Mr T does not have many entries. He has his own bag of tricks?

What do Mr Fix it folks do when they repair this. Surely there is an option for man in the street and not just dealers?
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuse my ignorance but what the hell is an OBD2 (o b 1 kenobie - type of thing??) adapter? - what does it do?   Confused
leon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyson wrote:
Scuse my ignorance but what the hell is an OBD2 (o b 1 kenobie - type of thing??) adapter? - what does it do?   Confused

its in laymans terms a kind of plug.. bit like a computer plug you know some are one shape and others another its used to plug a handheld computer in to so the car and the handheld one  talk to eatch other

When it works right the car can tell the handheld one allsorts of things like what spark plugs are firing what Co2 the car is making and so on to find faults if your car isnt running right
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
leon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the problem here is ..as of a set year all cars are fitted with a comman plug type "OBD2" so any garage can plug any handheld computer in and find the fault and fix your car .......

seem's toyota may have the OBD2 but the problem is finding a computer that can talk to the car  Shocked seem's toyota may have kept the program to them self's some what  Crying or Very sad

But Crispin is going to spend all the cash to work this problem out to save us doing it  Razz
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

leon wrote:
But Crispin is going to spend all the cash to work this problem out to save us doing it  Razz

Not quite. I only buy from people who offer refunds. Kind of like renting a scanner until I find one that works  Smile

Some of the more interesting things you can get out of it are calculated load, throttle position (I'm pressing the throttle so I know it's position), EGT (one some), intake temp (apparently measured after intercooler) etc as well as all the "I was once sick on this sensor thingy",  low fuel pressure, missfire etc diagnostics.

As part of a carputer, it's s a nice-to-have thing. Why do I want it? Like everything else - just 'cause.....  Very Happy

Will continue my scratchings....
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has quite a complex diagnostic system costing several thousand and that sort of works with the LCs, but only for reading error codes and resetting them and even then it was pretty sketchy.  His kit was intended for testing lorries, but could talk to a lot of cars, even though he hadn't bought the car specific kit.

Unfortunately Toyota do tend to mainly use their own proprietory system that requires the Toyota Intellligent Tester II to use the full range of facilities.  You can buy these, but they are expensive with prices ranging from $2000 upwards depending on where you are looking.

I looked into other 3rd party readers a while back, being particularly interested in some of the Bluetooth based ones on the basis that it makes it a lot easier to test the vehicle is you aren't permanently wired to the plug.

Talking to a few of the suppliers the general feedback was that you may find some kit that could read fault codes and some of the other readings, but you would never get the full range or be able to do things like change the User Preferences that are programmed in on 100s, 120s and later models.

From memory, in the US all cars had to be OBD-II compliant from 1996, whereas in the UK (and probably Europe) petrol vehciles had to be OBD-II compliant from 2001 and diesel vehicles from 2004.

Actually looking on e bay there is some quite useful information on this item [url=http://cgi.e bay.co.uk/WIRELESS-BLUETOOTH-OBD-II-2-OBD2-PC-INTERFACE-SCAN-TOOL_W0QQitemZ370226754641QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item56333bf451&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1689|293%3A1|294%3A50]OBD Key[/url].

Fortunately it looks like I may be able to get my hands on a second hand Toyota Intelligent Tester for sensible money. Laughing

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: