All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newby Cruiser owner needs info

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mettisse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 19:17    Post subject: Newby Cruiser owner needs info Reply with quote

Hi from a newby 80 owner, can anyone tell me where I can get a rear mounted spare wheel carrier? I have an almost new bull bar ,can i sell it? are they still wanted or will it be a bin job, can I fit a hydraulic winch to the front, has anyone done it? It's looking quite nice at the moment with 285 BFG-A/T's and next week a 70mm Old Man Emu lift it will look even better.any other mods you can reccomend? I want to use it for long distance desert type trips. Best regards to all.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 19:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Moses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we have the same goal....
Try these people www.frogsisland4x4.com ... bit expensive but good gear (Inc old man emu Laughing ) They kit out landcruisers just for the needs you require and I know ARB do the tyre carrier you are after and they are ARB agents. Toyota actually do a winch and bumper to suit which bolts on to the front of the chassis but the winch alone is £3500 Shocked
Had mine lifted a while back and its great not to ground out so often.
Having a transfer box guard made up by a friend. Also consider a long range fuel tank, 130w spots (Offroad only) side guard (Rock sliders) and roof crate.

hope this helps

trev
Sat Nav Free Zone
andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is what your after. http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=12798
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one for sale on e bay at the moment from these people

http://www.toyota-4x4-accessories.com/

Last time I looked it was £165.

It's an original Toyota one off an import VX limited
mettisse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 20:35    Post subject: newby cruiser needs info Reply with quote

Thanks thats exactly what I want, thanks for the replies, any TLOC going to the "Mille Riviere" this November
mettisse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:36    Post subject: new cruise owner needs info Reply with quote

I' need more info, will the standard wheel carrier take the oversize tyres(285. 75 16.) ? it looks as though it may foul the rear bumper. also, side sill protecters, do they replace the steps? or do they fit underneath? who sells them? Has anyone fitted the remote switch for the locking Diffs, I think it would be worthwhile, but is it easy enough to do? Can anyone recomend a product for refurbishing the leather seats, mine are ok but just that, ok, also any views on rear load area protectors, any good, worth doing? Thanks for the previous info, Best Regards
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK as far as I know the standard wheels will take the tyres however not sure on the fouling. People have fited wider tyres than that but I think as 70 series profile. As far as I remebre up to 305 can be fitted in width on a 70 series without fouling.

Side sill protectors (rock sliders) replace the sills however I have also seen one 80 series where the side steps were then modified and refitted to the sliders.

Rear load bay protectors are worth it however some of the plastic ones are slippery so the load slides about.

Good product for rfurbing leather is to get some connoley tretment cream from a decent upholsterers, other than that Meguiars Gold lether treatment is good too. I got a product from the states which is good for cleaning them called miracle leather cleaner.

As far as the remote switch - not sure what you mean, do you mean replacing the standard multi way switch with separate buttons for front and rear - if so , never heard of anyone replacing it, but should be possible however you need to work out the activation wires for the diff ECU so that it will work.
mettisse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 19:09    Post subject: Newby cruiser owner needs info Reply with quote

Hi, as of now I have the 285's fitted, no problem with the wheel arches, but I was thinking of the rear spare wheel carrier that I bought today off E-Bay, will that take the 285 without fouling the rear bumper/step. I was also thinking of using the space that the spare liberates for maybe an extra fuel or water tank(s) anyone dunnit? The question also arises about roof racks, any good clues? up to now I'm doing great! thanks again to all
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary of the rear wheel carrier from www.toyota-4x4-accessories.com, if they don't have the internal brackets for strengthening the D pillars that chances are that it won't stay on for long, espescially if you are going off road.

Also make sure you get the receiver bracket that goes on the top part of the bood lid.

At the budget end, your best bet is to go for the carrier made by Kaymar of Aus, they aren't cheap, but bolt off the chassis and are a lot stronger than the ones mentioned above.

With either of the carriers you should have no problem with the 285s.

If you want a hydraulic winch, go for the MileMarker H12 and run it in an ARB bar at the front - you should be able to get the MileMarker for around £1400 all in from Alfred Murray and it will fit the ARB.

On the suspension lift, work out what you want (Slee's site at http://www.sleeoffroad.com is a handy guide) and then shop around on price - all the UK suppliers get their OME parts from the same distributor.

As for fitting, try and do it yourself - I have done a few lifts for people and it only takes about 3-4hours - the key thing is to make sure you have a decent high lifting jack and some heavy duty axle stands - for the money you could pay someone like Frogs Island you could buy the kit yourself and probably do a better job.

If you want to get more ideas about kitting out you 80, come along to the TLC day I'm organising on Salisbury Plain on the 20th November - we already have around 20 80s coming and most of those are modded in one way or another. See the Events section for details.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the reinforcing, however this can be made up yourself. The one thing that doesn't seem to be included is the tailgate side which has a new number plate lamp, and also a plastic unit that fits where the old number plate went and also the receiver bracket. These would need to be sourced from an import VX limited.

The Kaymar bumpers are good - Frogs Island now can get these although they aren't cheap. I have seen a VX limited with 33 x 12.5s on with one of these on the rear carrier so 285s should fit no problem.

For the UK you should be able to get a suspension lift kit from either frogs island or TBR - they do the Old Man Emu ones which are very good.

You do need a very high lift jack for this and good stands and a nice flat drive to do it on, you don't need spring compressors if you have enough lift.
mettisse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:12    Post subject: newby cruiser owner needs info Reply with quote

I have already arranged for a 70mm OME lift kit so that should be done soon, Ihave already bought the carrier off the web and in fairness the guy did say I would have to fit reinforcing inside to take the weight, what would be handy would be a look at how the factory do it, what made me buy it was the fact that a custom made item would be a fortune as is the kaymar unit, it will be more cost effective to modify/fit this one than the other options, and it will still have the right "cosmetics" I will fit a Brantz ralley trip, for events that run tulip road books, but for the moment I'm focusing on the spare carrier and a roof rack, thanks again
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 14:27    Post subject: Re: newby cruiser owner needs info Reply with quote

mettisse wrote:
I would have to fit reinforcing inside to take the weight, what would be handy would be a look at how the factory do it

The factory bracket is not the sort of thing that you can replicate - they are pressed steel reinforcing plates which I think are spot welded into the pillar.

I know someone from another list that bought one and then hit the problems and I think got a local fabrication shop to make up a re-inforcing bracket for him - the biggest problem is the lack of space.

I would be happy to find out more about the brackets if you want.

Julian
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known of this being done on a 4Runner/Surf, same thing really, as far as I remember, you need a decent thickness plate, bent to fit in the recess behind the pillar. It doesn't really need spot welding to work, just needs to be substantial to spread the load from the bolts. Spot welded would be best, however stuck using JB weld would do the job. Bear in mind that the weight is only on it for short time when you swing out the wheel, when it is swung back into place, the weight is taken by the centre bracket as well. Main thing is to make sure when you drill the holes that they are only just big enough, don't allow any slop as the hinges will move and eventually lengthen the holes.

The spot welds on the normal reinforcing plates are not that strong (and not that many - seem to remember from my surf there were only 4 spot welds so JB weld will provide as strong fitting as the spot welds.

A spare wheel mounted in this way will never be as robust as one on a swing arm from the bumper, however they don't really need to be really strong unless you are going to drive with it swung out - not a good idea!.

I have seen a couple of Surfs/4runners with the factory bracket mounted when there wasn't one there originally. One was fitted in Kenya by a local welder so it can be done without great levels of knowledge of the Toyota way of doing things.
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Andy.

One of the other things to look out for whilst going down the fabrication route is to put reinforcing plates behind the brackets on the boot lids (top and bottom) and if your kit doesn't come with the top receiver bracket (some don't) you may want to try to get one made up, it does a lot to stop the carrier rattling around at the back.

Here's a photo of a factory installed one for you.

Julian
mettisse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 17:34    Post subject: newby cruiser owner needs info Reply with quote

Thanks for the input fellas , Julian, I would be grateful if you could get some more info on the reinforcing of the spare carrier, I have'nt received the said item yet so I don't really know whats included or missing, and the next thing I must do is look under the trim to see what , if any, reinforcing might be present, that won't be 'till Tuesday , my next free day. However I think good progress up to now , and the the question of a snorkel raises it's ugly head, I assume that a Safari unit with a Donaldson "Spinner" on top must be "de riguer" but is that all thats available? any others on the market worth looking at? Thanks for the invite to Salisbury, that would be fun, but I can't make a definite as I'm off to the "Mille Riviere" in early Nov, and I may not be allowed out to play twice in one month( Yep, I know what what I am, Sqeak, squeak, but this is the Duchess who allows me to have 3 toys for "froadin, and never complains, and a good navigator to boot) But I would'nt ever boot her. Best regards to all and thanks again for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: