4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bogged down - again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 21:04    Post subject: Bogged down - again Reply with quote

Well it had to happen. I was in Scotland this weekend putting up a new shooting tower. We decided to be lazy and drive to the site rather than trek across the moor. I recce'd a little valley in front of us and satisfied that it felt pretty solid, we set across. Just near the far bank, the trailer caught and braked the truck. The back wheels broke through into the moss. Our estate is 'built' on a moss, which is basically an underground lake filled with sphagnum moss. Bottomless. We unhitched but to no avail. At this point I was regretting the decision not to put the ground anchor in. We hitched the winch to a boulder, which we pulled out of the ground. We ran the line backwards to a really really big glacial reject boulder. This nearly turned the truck over instead of spinning us around. We had the waffle boards out. I jacked up the truck and tried to get something under the wheels. Surprisingly the Toyota jack and some decking from the trailer DID raise the truck on a very soft boggy surface.

Then we tried running the rope through the bottom of a drystone wall with a spreader bar behind it. For those of you who know Scottish walling, you may ask why we bothered to try this. Vertical piles of stones would be the most polite way to describe them. We nearly pulled that over. At this point we were really running out of ideas and boulders still in the ground. Then I had an idea. When I was asking about ground anchors on one of the Oz sites (and receiving really stupid answers by the way) I recalled that someone mentioned burying your spare wheel. We had no other option. We dug a very waterlogged trench and dropped the spare off the trailer in there. Our first attempt pulled out. After several modified and failed attempts, we dug a bigger hole and dropped the wheel in flat instead of vertical. We then ran a snatch block from the wheel to a boulder behind us another anchor point, put the waffle boards over the 'grave' and built a cairn of rocks on the boards.

Whaddya know - it pulled us out. We had used every shackle, every last strop, strap, Halfords towrope and piece of old winch wire that we had with us. Rather than be cross, my mate (ex Army) absolutely loved it. It was a challenge for sure and not in his make-up to give in. We did try to dig the truck out, but it was like trying to part custard. Some of you may have used this technique before but for those who haven't, stick it in the back of your mind. I think that you could have a flat plate with a hole in the middle, which would store really easily in your boot, which would do the same thing as a tyre, cost less than an anchor and  be quite easy to deploy.

Of course then the challenge was getting back across!

LC
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 21:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing  sounds fun, i hope you got some pictures.   joe
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I didn't I'm  afraid. Partly due to being very busy and absolutely covered on muck and partly as I had no wish to record my stupidity. I've walked across that ground dozens of times and always thought it pretty solid. I should have unhitched first really. I am going to cut part of the drawbar off following this. My drop plate (6 hole) is made from 10mm plate and it bent that! I think I would have made it across if it hadn't been for that.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like one of those situations that's only 'fun' in retrospect  Smile

I thought you had a rear winch? Burying your spare can be very effective but definately easier with a friend to share the work   Laughing  If the ground ripples when you jump on it best to stay off or have done the thing where you look for places to bang your anchor in first which we all do of course  Rolling Eyes  The pin and box mod anchor I posted on here somewhere has been very effective even in bog and peat pulling my 80 out which was about 3600Kg out and about.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted. Yes, my rear winch was in the garage next to my ground anchor. We have loads of that 'waterbed' ground which ripples when you walk on it, but this was quite solid. I have crossed it on my quad before. It was the snag with the trailer that broke the surface.  Rear winch would have had us fixed in a trice. I am considering putting a front receiver point on the cruiser as I have an Anderson connector there already, so that I could mount my rear winch on the front too. Hey why not? That way I could have a twin pull from two points. Look, I just like the idea.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - and there I was mowing the lawn when I could have been out having al oad of fun instead  Wink

Next time - give me a ring - more than happy to come and 'help out' - might just bring some boerewors and a braai with  Laughing  Laughing

Glad you got out OK.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a long way to call for help! Edinburgh to Stranraer. I bet you eat the sausage on the way too. We were only a mile from the farm. We could have just trooped over there to see our chap to come with his monster tractor. But we were determined to not be beaten. Next time, I shall just take all of the kit with me.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much your batteries would like having two winches pulling at the same time but otherwise you can't have too many options when you're stuck like that can you. My hand winch, 20m & 10m plasma extension ropes, the ground anchor and spade have been good options so far. FWIW, even if you're up to the axle(s) in bog, it's worth digging the bog away from each wheel a bit in the pull direction if at all possible to help get it moving, you'd be surprised how much effort even that can relieve from the pull (measured with effort needed on the hand winch handle!).

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each winch is wired to a different battery. The main one is a real bruiser and got me off Tom's farm when I hydraulic'd the engine. I can run them together or separately too. I have had both running at the same time already when I got lodged against a tree at Lincomb. Rigged correctly, they should share the load I would have thought, if pulling in the same direction. You could pull with one at a time I guess to wiggle a vehicle. As you say, never have too many options in the solutions box.

One point - synthetic rope - what a joy to work with over that horrible steel stuff.

LC
leon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Yes, my rear winch was in the garage next to my ground anchor.

Do-oh ! Razz
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
4runner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent recovery story - what a shame there were no photos!,  you would have enjoyed them too "after the event"

interesting about the spare wheel anchor - i will store that one in my head

2013 Hilux Invincible
Subaru Forester XT
D4D Yaris
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

4runner wrote:
interesting about the spare wheel anchor - i will store that one in my head

Yes, it's one of those you don't tell your mates until you need it. Use it. Stand back and bask in the glory that is...  Wink
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the real trick is to get them to dig the hole! Oh yes, I am the ground anchor Jedi.

Obi Wan LC
suvsteve
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last time i got stuck was im pig surrey four mates from my car four four from the landy that triyed winching me and about five hours i think it was
they dug and winched but it was nice warm and dry in the drivers seat did i get out oh hell no!! they wanted me to drive through it so they dig
but since then ive got round to making the rear diff lock work so that should help next time  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

you have only one life, enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: