All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lake District weekend 15/16 August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing when I read back what I'd written I wasn't sure it was clear to anyone speed reading that they weren't just last years pictures  Smile

I don't have side impact air bags, I think they came in 2002 or 2003 on the 100. If I had some, I'm sure adding sliders would change at what point they go off just like having a winch bumper on the front must. I see pro's and cons to sliders in a side impact that go along the lines of: the outer tube gives some crumple zone still (pro) and the main box section gives much greater strength to protect the passenger cell (pro) but that also means most of the energy will go into the chassis so you're more likely to have a bent chassis instead of a crumpled passenger cell (pro or con?). I think the strength of the outer tube will be in the same ball park as the body structure so I wouldn't think there's a massive difference in air bag trigger point but of course I'm not an expert and don't know what I'm talking about  Smile  Having been in a fairly serious side impact accident I'll take the less intrusion to the passenger cell option every time.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 14:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispin wrote:
Please don't have any private conversations about a lift. hint hint.
 Laughing While I was crawling under Gary's truck sizing it up for sliders I couldn't help noticing how accessible the body mounts are for body lifting it  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that a 120 is really just an updated 90 series. No disrespect intended, remember I had one, but the running gear and stuff are all the same. Different body and different suspension on the LC5 etc, but in essence a 90 underneath. Body lift kit for 120 would be same as the one I fitted to the 90 I would imagine. £60! I now have the lift kit fitting guide in much smaller file size for e-mailing if anyone wants one.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - you can send it on to me then  Wink
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gary, having mail server problems. Sent Grenade a big file this morning and so far I haven't been able to send anymore attachments today. I don't have any upload / download limits on my account. It's only a few K but it just won't go.
I will try a different e-mail address so watch your spam / junk filter in case it thinks the file is pants.
LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it fine - thanks!!

Looks very professional too!!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - let's see if I can get this right.  I don''t know half the names, so apologies in advance.  Also - I was trying to drive, watch the navigation on the PC MemoryMap to check my external GPS goody was working, watch the line Jon took, look at the scenery and take pics - consequently not everything was done every time  Laughing

I'd wanted to do a Lakes trip for a while, and the weekend I had planned in August got stolen by work, so when Jon quietly said he'd be going, I managed to leach onto the trip!!  Glad I did, because there is no way I would have known where to go, and some of it is probably not suitable for single-vehicle travel.  I didn't even make it to the first night's campsite without having to be dragged out of a massive mud wallow  Embarassed   Needless to say, Jon and Ray had no problems ...

Sorry - can't figure out how to get the rotated image in here ...

The muddy result:

I went in to past my knees in getting the shackle on the front recovery point   Mad

We stopped in a pleasant enough spot, and enjoyed the scenery.  Unfortunately the intrepid travellers from the South had gotten held up in traffic, so by the time we sampled the great spaghetti bolognese it was about 22h30, and we were knackered.

The weather report for Kendal had said mostly sunny - unfortunately we were greeted with clouds and light drizzle for most of Saturday.

which made clambering around the quarry a tad  more interesting than it would have been otherwise.  Nothing majorly challenging covered to this point, but stunning views all round.

Jon has posted a link to some quarry pics here are one or two more:

Oooh - what's down there?

Stupidly, none of us had taken a torch, and error we won't make again  Wink

Wasn't long before we were on the lanes again

and checking 120 articulation

other side

Then onto the Lake Windermere ferry

where the ferryman tried to sell us his K reg 80 series GX diesel  Laughing

The weather had started to clear up,but was mighty windy now, and we thought we were in for a storm, so we made camp and strung up a couple of tarpaulins for shelter

Sunday dawned bright and sunny, and WARM and after a lazy start, despite being woken by a sheep right outside the tents (I think it was calling someone - NOT me!!) we were off on the trails again:

One of the tight gates

and for Ray

Kicking back and starting to relax now:

Then the fun started - this is Stile End, I think?

This pic also shows the wife-induced bumper modification  Twisted Evil   The LC goes in tomorrow for a new bumper installation ....

Not too bad, especially with an enthusiastic gate-man and spectator along:

and the views were spectacular:

We decided to have a late breakfast just before the start of the last lane, because that was just a pleasant drive over the hill ...

Ray working at supervising the chef...

Look - Jon cooking  Shocked

We spent a pleasant hour or so here - fate was at work obviously, little did we know that the trail at the top and down the other side was almost completely broken up and washed away, and we'd (well, OK, I'd - although I did see Jon go a little pale at one bit...) have a few heart-stopping moments and do quite a bit of road-building  Laughing

And this is the last pic I have  Wink

It got too hairy from here on.  Hopefully Anthony will have somoe more for us  Laughing

I did have a fantastic time, and many, many thanks to Ray and Jon, for the help, assistance and letting me join in their trip.  I learnt a lot about the 120's abilities and that I'm not too bad a driver.  I mapped it all out so I can go back one day  Razz
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had some fun! Don't knock the steps to much the steps too much though, better them bashed up than the body.

anywhere to put your snorkel to use or not enough rain?
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous looking trip fellas - soon...  Soon I will be out on runs like that (given an invite anyways!!!)

I have started my suspension install but stalled soon afterwards...  Had a chat with Paul at West Coast last night & got some top tips so will persevere this week if the rain holds off...
Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of suspension, Gary, is your's stock or do you have a lift on it? Looks higher off the ground than mine. (Clearly not that high or your steps would be ok Wink )
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it helped that I had my 'road' tyres on Gary so you weren't the only one having to be more careful with their line whereas with the Simex I tend to just potter along not having to think about it too much so it was much more interesting for me as well.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just imagine you tip toeing through the daisies JW - in your 285 AT2's!!!   Cool
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I don't think you would have pottered through that last trench, even with caterpillar tracks on (OK, maybe with steel tracks, but not with Simex') ....  Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep there were definately some sections that even Ray had to go round with his big lift and tyres but the majority of it would have involved very little thought or evasive action  Laughing  I got rid of my 80 because I was bored with how easy the big lift and tyres made everything and that was why I left the Simex at home for this trip as well. If it had been just me in my old 80 and Ray in his 80 I know we wouldn't have stopped at any point on that track to plan ahead we'd have just got on with it and at the bottom said that was ok wasn't it  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I reckon!!  Ray's 80 does seem to make it all a bit ho-hum (obviously driver skill counts, which you two have in spades...)

Crispin - std suspension,boet - just the Cooper 265/70 STTs giving me bit of extra clearance (not much though). Am busy speaking to Julian re new springy bits.

I think the stad front suspension is too soft for this stuff - the IFS just disappears up into the body work too easily, and consequently you have to go really slowly so as not compress the springs if you don't want to bash the skid plates or the vehicle 'chin' all the time.  I think Jon and Ray would've gone ripping down some of the steps where I had to go on tippy-toes to avoid any further damage ...

Steps will be taken  Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: