Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Starter Motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Starter Motor Reply with quote

The starter on my 1-HDT has stuck on a couple of times in the last month,after stopping and re-starting straight away it`s been OK.Has anyone else had this snag,is it easy to fix and if not ,how much?
Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80 series uses an inertia type starter as opposed to the pre-engaged type which makes fault finding & repair easier.First make sure either the starter relay or the solenoid are not sticking on,supplying current to the starter after the ignition key is released.If they check out OK it's almost certainly the starter pinion sticking on the end of the starter shaft and not returning when the key is released.If this is happening releasing the key cuts power to the starter but the engine is still spinning it as the pinion is still meshed with the starter ring gear.Had this happen on a Capri I had a few years ago and it made a hell of a noise.Just remove the starter and clean and lube the pinion & shaft and providing niether are badly worn or chewed up that should cure it.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Plug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta!
Is the starter motor assembly easy to strip down to its unit parts?
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, its probably the copper contacts in the soleniod, one side wears with time, and allows soleniod to rock sideways and jam. Remove starter, take end off soleniod,and you will see the contact that is the battery side has erroded, you can probably get them from any local starter/alternator repaire company for a fiver. Very Happy
Plug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does a defect that requires you to get under the engine/gearbox always happen in the winter when its raining.I havnt got a garage.
Crying or Very sad
andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find more info here. http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey plug, didn't have garage either, so just built one! cut tip off little finger though!!!!! *beep* Crying or Very sad
Plug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aint got no room to build a garage as my house is 10 ft below road level and my front garden is at an angle of 45 degrees downhill.I will have to treat every event to work on Twinkle (Twinkle Toes is what my kids call my LC ) as an adventure cos the road outside is also 1 in 8 steep or 12.5% in new money.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a challenge then, you sure its Portsmouth and not Alps? Good luck Very Happy
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read what i wrote Embarassed should be Plymouth, sorry for any offence caused Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: