Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auxilliary Battery in a 120 series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

APB bring in the National Luna one from SA which is very similar to the IBS one.  Costs about £70 for the monitor only, IIRC.

APB NatLuna

Thought it was more than that actually.  Hmmm....

Edit - here's a slightly different version (no cables I think) for < £50

NatLuna monitor

OK - read the manual ... the first is the CONTROLLER the second is just the MONITOR ...  Embarassed   I guess you'll want just the monitor ...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a considerable saving, a friend of mine is coming over on Friday. He could bring one with if it was worth it?
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheaper one doesn't have the option to link the batteries on demand and it's not clear from the blurb that the first one is actually the controller and not just the display unit. They might be a cheap option, but LC's IBS has more lights and the buttons are bigger by the looks of it  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that looks like an expensive voltmeter rather than a cheap management system. I like the IBS system. I haven't found anything on it that I either dislike or think is missing.

Chris
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this has been a weekend for finishing stuff off.  Finally got round to completing the wiring through to the rear - it's been a semi-permanent Heath-Robinson affair to now, so this has finished it off quite neatly, and permanently.

I pulled the left rear inner panel out so I could get a good lookbehind it - I've been  procrastinating over where to bring out the cables, and how to sort it all out.  I bought a couple of 165 amp Anderson plugs to bridge from the vehicle to the batery, and have been putting off drilling holes.  Laughing   Dunno why, considering I drilled a sodding big hole in the wing for the snorkel  Shocked

So here we are:

Then I finally completed the cable from the battery to the solenoid, via the mega-fuse, wrapped it in a split conduit and shrink-wrapped the ends - looks almost like a bought one!

Found a nice high spot on the firewall to mount the solenoid:

So that's that done - power flows when the batteries are charging and alternator is kicking out 13 volts or so (or something like that - I dunno - but it works, and isolates when the engine is off ...).  Hardest part was getting the damn grommets in place ...  Razz

Cheers
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one? Almost, Gary almost.

Looks really neat mate. Well done. Proper tidy. Glad you got your new spacers and bolts in. I was not too happy about that.

You're right about a weekend for finishing off. It's almost finished ME off.

C
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Did you ever take the rear panel off at all or just pulled it away?
I need it off but it feels like there are some hidden screws I'm going to break if I pull to much.
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Re: Auxilliary Battery in a 120 series Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Completed the installation of the cabling and solenoid and auto-voltage sensor today.  Once I decided on the cable routing it worked out quite well.

Primary battery and solenoid (not really visible - behind the diesel fuel filter) on side wall:

Grommet on right to shove wires through - they come out behind the glove-box (note - not the cubby-hole anymore ...  Laughing )

This is where it all comes through:

Mr T kindly left some room in the channels under the door sills for me:

Be careful not to break these stupid flimsy clips - a bit of sideways movement is all it takes  Crying or Very sad

Then ran the cables thought the same channels in the back door, then up under the carpet under the rear seat to exit through the hole in the carpet next to the tie down ring.  Batter connected, and all works as intended!

Happy days!

Hi Gary

Nice and neat job, but can I suggest (too late for you) but for any one else that is going to run a cable from front to back, make sure its very thick cable, and a much easer route is to go down the chassis leg and cable tie it to the pipes etc, and if you want to go over board put it in flexible conduit(but not necessary).

I have done this on a few vehicle now, mainly to put a Anderson plug on for a winch and also for my charging system for the caravan.

Radiotwo
ekendraed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 16:06    Post subject: 2m Antenna Mount Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Do you have any pictures of where you have mounted your antenna?

73 de Ekendra (4S7EF)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Electrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: