All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Discs and wheel bearings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 19:49    Post subject: Discs and wheel bearings Reply with quote

Recentley changed front discs & wheel bearings on my car, found some discs from Brembo that are continuing to impress, brakes now nicely beded in, seem to be much better than with stock discs, less fade when hot, very progresive. Dont normaly fit non genuine parts, but used brembo brakes on my rally cars for years, so figured they were ok. Cost about 120 quid for the pair, cheaper than toyota, but more expensive than no name motor factor ones. My local bearing supplier also got me some wheel bearing kits using timken bearings (the best bearings you can get) for about 50 quid each side. Cheaper than Toyota parts, without comprimising quality. Thought this may be of use to anybody planing same jobs. Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 19:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jvoelcker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not considered fitting the Brembo disks, but will bear in mind for the future. I normally get kit from Milner Off Road where disks are £32 each and the wheel bearings and seal come to about £27.50 per corner. You will struggle to beat them on price and will find that most of their kit is genuine Toyota or manufactured by the same companies for them and then imported direct from Japan.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
andy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of people on the Surf forum have had trouble with bearings from Milners, one of them only lasted a week.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
A couple of people on the Surf forum have had trouble with bearings from Milners, one of them only lasted a week.

I would be extremely surprised by that - from memory the 80 bearings they supply are exactly the same make and model bearings supplied by Toyota.

If the bearings only lasted a week I would question the way they were installed - people generally tend to put them on too tight - once bedded/torqued in the inner wheel nut only needs 3lbs/foot of torque on it.

Julian
andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at some of the pics on this thread, page two. http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11290&highlight=BRT
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Have a look at some of the pics on this thread, page two. http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11290&highlight=BRT

Very odd - sounds as though the bearing was for a different application. It is very unusual if it was a bearing from Milners (he doesn't specify). Also he doesn't mention wether is was packed with grease properly and torqued up properly - it would be interesting to have the full facts.

Julian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: