All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Shipping a car through Cape Town

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Mendoza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Shipping a car through Cape Town Reply with quote

Chaps

I'm prepping a truck (1993 80 VX Import) to drive around south and east Africa. I intend to ship in a container to Cape Town. As the car will be imported on a Carnet I intend to fly out and meet the ship in Cape Town, then clear the car through customs myself.
On top of the cost of getting the car to Cape Town I have been told by UK agents that it could cost over £1500 in port charges, handling, terminal charges and customs examination in Cape Town. That will double the cost of shipping. Does anyone have experience of shipping in a container through a South African port and can offer advice.

Christopher
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 15:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do Ro Ro to Port Elizabeth ? cheaper and easier.

'vette
Christopher Mendoza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Elizabeth is not a problem for me but I have heard horror stories about the security of cars on RoRo. My car will have spares and tools onboard as well as a roof rack and roof tent.

Christopher
ChrisC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 20:45    Post subject: Shipping options Reply with quote

What about Walvis Bay, Namibia - Foleys have used that regularly to ship to Southern Africa

www.foleysv.com

Chris
Christopher Mendoza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

The problem with Walvis Bay is that the quotes I've had are about £500-00 more expensive than Cape Town. It is also more expensive to get to! When I asked the agents, they thought it was because there was less demand.

I have an open mind though and have no problem going there.

Christopher
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Christopher,

Very sorry to read this on LCCSA about your LC and your trip....

Christopher Mendoza wrote:
The burned out car in Etosha happened on 18 December. It was my cruiser, one week into a 12 month journey through Africa from Cape Town to London. I spent months prepping the car in UK and shipped it to Cape Town.
The fire started under the bonnet, probably electrical, but as the bonnet refused to release, my extinguishers couldn't get at the source of the fire. From the initial smoke and flame the fire started in or close to the offside drive battery. I had two red tops, one each side of the engine and a further yellow top next to the nearside drive battery.
Despite everything I tried, eventually the fire spread and the result is there to see. The car was fully loaded for overlanding with an extra long range fuel tank.
Everything, except some documents and a few personal effects were lost and now I and the park are waiting for the insurance company to arrange removal of the wreck.
I have to say that everyone in Namibia was brilliant, very helpful, from the Park Officials, to the Police, who had to come from Ouijo and Customs Officers in Windhoek who sorted out my carnet before I came back to UK. I still haven't come to terms with the loss as the cruiser was to be my home for a year so you can imagine the equipment and belongings that were lost.
A salutary lesson, in what can go wrong. The Park Rangers told me they get about 8 -10 vehicle wrecks a month but mostly they are roll overs from excess speed. Mine was unusual, thank goodness.

All the best,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear - that really sucks!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously not lekker - my sympathies, Christopher!

Christopher Mendoza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 16:53    Post subject: Aborted trip Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  It was all going so well.........

Now I have to sort out all the insurance implications and once done I will report back for those planning a similar trip. Then I have to decide whether to repeat the experience if I have the time and money left.

I might post a report of my trip as far as it went once I get around to finishing it.

Don't let my experience put anyone off, It was going great until the fire. I had some additional driving lights fitted in Cape Town and they were wired into the battery closest to the seat of the fire. I will always be wondering.....

By the way, going back to the original subject, I ended up paying about £1400 for loading the container at Felixstowe, including the freight to Cape Town. It then cost approximately £1000 to get the container off the ship and the car out of the container, cleared and out of the docks in Cape Town.

Drive safe

Christopher
aroscow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, at least you were OK.
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the basis for the £1000 charges in Cape Town to get your car released? Local taxes? Presumably the freight company had an obligation to get the container off the ship without holding you to ransom!

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's very sad  Crying or Very sad  You said the bonnet wouldn't release and I know that senario probably doesn't happen very often but makes me wonder if it isn't worth fitting pins and removing the normal catch seeing that.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
aroscow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad. I reckon pins would make more sense, how would you make them intruder proof?
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad sight - I hope your insurers are a decent lot & get you something like sorted...  And quickly too...
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroscow wrote:
It is sad. I reckon pins would make more sense, how would you make them intruder proof?

Dunno, have an extra thick pin in the middle with a hole in the end big enough to put a padlock through when you're leaving it parked up? I bet most people would assume the pins were for show and not expect to open the bonnet anyway?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: