Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Croisiere Blanche

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone from the forum doing the  crossier blanch? At the end of this month or would anyone fancy going as a group in Jan 2011
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never seem to find too much info on this - what, exactly, is it?  I assume a trip in the French Alps, during January - but is it a race / trial / rally or just a scenic route in winter?   And exactly where / when, and what's involved?  Is there a web site for it?

Cheers
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - ok - found some stuff.  Now to learn French ...

http://www.grmfrance.com/

But this is interesting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/heading-for-the-snowline-in-la-croisiegravere-blanche-441823.html

So I may be interested!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - looks like a lot of fun - could just be persuaded!!

Croisiere Blanche 2009

Last edited by garystockton on Sun Jan 03, 2010 21:08; edited 1 time in total
whelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy and paste the hole page into google translator. check out you tube aswell
whelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to do it this year but work kinda messed it up was talking to chris from devon 4x4 this is his 7th year in a row doing it its only a 3 day event but waiting to get bit more info on costs etc
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of fun!
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do this. Tried to get it together the last 3 years but something always seems to get in the way.
mettisse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this a great event! I have been a number of times and I've never tired of it, If you are capable of booking a crossing for the Channel you can do this event, its as simple as that! The organisers GRM will send you an entry or you can download one, the tourist office will help you book your accommodation or you can do so on the the site for "Orcieres" couldn't be easier, everyone is very friendly and helpful, this year (2010) we went with one car and the group we were in were just great (all French 'cept one car Belgian. almost french) However the cost is high especially now the Euro has risen in value against the pound, but it is possible to do "on the cheap" It takes a long day to drive to Orcieres but not difficult, (we tow a trailer with the 'froader on it) and we also take a few friends who ski whilst we drive the event, so the cost can be spread a little and its a good "adventure" As for accommodation it depends on how many are sharing but apartments are good value, remember this event is backed by the local community as it brings business when the ski season is at its lowest demand. Also the cost of snow chains must be considered, they ain't cheap but it is possible to pick up a bargain, try before you buy and don't think you'll get away with the Walt Disney ones, the "Cros" is proper 'froadin in the snow and you'll need good chains.  By the way the "Trophy Cevenol" is in May, well worth a look. Best Regards to all
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
busaboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few who have done this event. Over quite a few years they said it was great fun but recently it has become a lot more extreme and serious vehicle damage is quite likely, still being great fun though.
mettisse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last 2 events we went on the "Extreme" which only means we camp out in the mountains, then we only drive the same trails as everyone else, albeit we do have the privilege of sometimes driving virgin tracks, and we drive our dedicated 'froader but in our team this year there were 1-Bj, 4 70's and one 60, the only damage incurred was when 3 trucks slid down a descent and crashed into the guys in front, they hadn't left enough space between themselves, but damage was only superficial. I suppose if you don't want to scratch the sides on the foliage, then yes there is gonna be damage ( to be honest, that's why I don't use my own 'bruiser) In saying that, there are always a strong entry of french 80's. But I have to emphasise, it IS FUN, the likes of which it is unlikely to experience anywhere on such a scale. I would like to add that the experience definitely hones your driving skills, and quickly!! The most "tame" event they do is the "Mille Riviere" and there is a strong risk of bodywork scratching on that event, so it seems if you want to go we'll have to find a way of preserving the paint, some I have seen use a thick "clingfilm" material, the type of stuff they to put adverts on Taxis in London, so it must be available somewhere.
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
busaboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZovwp6VUU
mettisse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really neat video, I would like to know if the 'cruiser had difflocks engaged, its my opinion your better off not having them engaged in such a situation as they seem to get you into trouble rather than keeping you out of it. it seems the Disco drove it ok-traction control not lockers! I always drive without lockers when I have chains fitted, the exception is of course steep climbs etc( that icludes the centre lock.)
'94 Merc 300TD ( retro)😎
fast but dim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary vid! as a former disco 3 owner, you cant lock your diffs manually, there's no switch! it's all done automatically when needed by the terrain response system. all d3's have a an automatically locking cente E-diff, and some have a  rear E-diff too.

The capability of the terrain response / traction control with the air suspension is amazing, far better than anything else i've driven. It's just a shame you can't rely upon it!(or anything else on the car Rolling Eyes )

no way would i have stayed in the lc in that clip!
g wizz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

mettisse wrote:
Hi, this a great event! I have been a number of times and I've never tired of it, If you are capable of booking a crossing for the Channel you can do this event, its as simple as that! The organisers GRM will send you an entry or you can download one, the tourist office will help you book your accommodation or you can do so on the the site for "Orcieres" couldn't be easier, everyone is very friendly and helpful, this year (2010) we went with one car and the group we were in were just great (all French 'cept one car Belgian. almost french) However the cost is high especially now the Euro has risen in value against the pound, but it is possible to do "on the cheap" It takes a long day to drive to Orcieres but not difficult, (we tow a trailer with the 'froader on it) and we also take a few friends who ski whilst we drive the event, so the cost can be spread a little and its a good "adventure" As for accommodation it depends on how many are sharing but apartments are good value, remember this event is backed by the local community as it brings business when the ski season is at its lowest demand. Also the cost of snow chains must be considered, they ain't cheap but it is possible to pick up a bargain, try before you buy and don't think you'll get away with the Walt Disney ones, the "Cros" is proper 'froadin in the snow and you'll need good chains.  By the way the "Trophy Cevenol" is in May, well worth a look. Best Regards to all

I have always wanted to do this, I have done the cevenol twice, this is organised  by the same company, we rented a little French cottage in les vans where it is based for £275 for the week! For five of us, I recommend the cevenol it's fantastic. I have done some videos of it if anyone is interested on you tube, go to GWIZZ1 account and youll see them, they have disabled the music which is a shame. Its of my patrol but gives you an idea of what the cevenol is like. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: