4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

manual gearbox oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Rabbets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:00    Post subject: manual gearbox oil Reply with quote

I have put semi synthetic gearbox oil in my main gearbox but now the gearchange is notchy. Can anyone recommend an improvement please?

Frank
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Brett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

I used Castrol Syntrax gear oil last time. Next time I'm going to use Land Rovers MTF94. It's a fully synthetic 75W, manual transmission fluid made by Texaco. I've used this in my Land Rover for years with good results.

You can get it from Land Rover dealers in 1 or 5 litres. My independant Landy place stocks it also.

20011 VDJ 200
1995 HDJ80 GS, 1HD-FT
SalifDiao

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go with Castrol too, very trustworthy.
PETER1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:47    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

dextron 2 in gear box  Wink
Mike TLC
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:06    Post subject: Re: manual gearbox oil Reply with quote

Frank Rabbets wrote:
I have put semi synthetic gearbox oil in my main gearbox but now the gearchange is notchy. Can anyone recommend an improvement please?

Frank

This is an old post but there isn't very much info on gearbox oil in the forums (manual or auto), so I'll try and add what little I know.

I have a 5sp manual R150F box in a KZJ 95. Mr T's handbook says to use SAE 75W/90 API GL-4 or GL-5  oil. The handbook also says to use this same oil in the diffs and the transfer box.
ALWAYS check what Toyota specify as the correct oil for your vehicle!

There is a general consensus about always putting the best synthetic GL-4 or GL-5 you can in both the diffs and the transfer box.  If Toyota specify either GL-4 or GL-5, then the latter is likely to perform better (read less gear wear) than a GL-4 in both the diffs and the transfer box.

HOWEVER, there is a considerable amount of discussion on internet about the relative merits of GL-4 vs GL-5 rated gear oils when it come to gearboxes. The discussion goes like this:
1) GL-5 spec oil is too slippery to allow for correct synchromesh performance in some gearboxes (i.e. those specifically designed for GL-4 spec oil) and it can even have a noticible effect on the synchromesh performance in boxes designed for GL-5 spec oil in very cold conditions or on cold start-ups.
2) GL-5 spec oil can cause premature "yellow metal" (read synchromesh rings) wear due to the extra amount of friction reducing sulfur compounds it contains compared to GL-4 oil.

What I think w.r.t. to my Toyota gearbox (that is either GL-4 or GL-5):

Last year I changed the oil in my diffs, and both boxes. I put a GL-5 spec oil in all of them and to be honest, I have not noticed any difference in the performance of the gear change, although I do live in a mild part of France and am thus spared the rigors of a cold winter. I admit to not really aspiring to RAC-rally-fast gear changes, so experiences may differ...  Laughing. I have read elsewhere that Toyota do admit that people living in very cold areas can experience difficult gear changes with GL-5 oil in the R150F gearbox but only before it warms up. However my transfer box does run noticeably cooler on the motorway, which is more important to me in a 35°C July and there is less transmission noise generally.

The SAE 75W/90 oil I used was rated : ASTM D-130, API GL-5/MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E

The important standards to note are the copper corrosion ratings (D-130, MT-1) in so far as they define the "yellow metal" performance with regards to an eventual corrosion risk. The reason I mention this is because most oil manufacturers make no mention of these tests on the oil container.

In any event, many GL-4 rated oils that are supposed to be "yellow metal safe", do not carry a copper corrosion rating either and when they do - it is no better than that of a D-130, MT-1 rated GL-5 oil. In other words, both oils GL-4/GL-5 are likely to be equally "yellow metal safe" if they both comply with the most recent industry standards. Also the wear resistant layer these sulfur additives provide only forms under conditions of extreme pressure/temperature (i.e. on and where gear teeth meet), they are non-reactive in the rest of the oil outside of these conditions and will not corrode a GL-5 rated gearbox's synchromesh.  

The various warnings about GL-5 oils on different internet forums appear only to be relevant if we are referring to the older GL-5 oils which did not use the modern 'non-reactive' sulfur additives and to older gearboxes (more recent GL-5 spec boxes use different yellow metal alloys). These older oils are very unlikely to pass the D-130 or MT-1 tests.

I recommend that users thoroughly check the full spec of the gear oil that they use. Personally I prefer the better protection from a modern fully rated GL-5 oil over (what is for me) a hypothetical improvement in the gear change  Smile .

Mike
Mike TLC
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in reading more on the subject of gearbox and/or gear lubrication in general there are two good PDF documents available.

Google:

A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes

A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes PDF

and

Purchasing Gear Lubricants

Purchasing gear Lubricants

If members are aware of any more, please share!

Edit : inserted URLs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: