All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Off road this weekend 21st Feb

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:12    Post subject: Off road this weekend 21st Feb Reply with quote

There is a pay and play site opening this weekend near Bawtry, Doncaster. Looks good and muddy. I have signed up of course. Here's the link if anyone fancies a play. Routes to suit all drivers, vehicles and capabilities.

http://www.jeepworld.co.uk/events_off_road_days.htm

Oh, Lordy, that's not advertising is it? On the naughty step already  Wink

C
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Cougar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks, great, I especially like the pic with the Disco being pushed over the crest! Laughing  Very Happy
x_shaun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

the patrol looks mint
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that was muddddy. Great fun, didn't break much except my aeriel.  New bumpers held up really well. Some touch winching with no problems. Even managed to breakout the rear winch. Some showroom shinies and some real clunkers there. Plus some very very nicely done landys. One in particular that was only a Landrover by virtue of the badge.
The new front diff locker got plenty of use. But you know, I think that the truth is that on a 90 in these conditions, you may as well just go with a decent winch. The extra that the locker gives you in really tough terrain is limited. Lil Blue did some great stuff and was really agile in the trees but LWB is better I think. I do reckon that vehicles like Ian's 80 bog gobbling monster would have made some of these trucks look like toys. If I had one, I know that I wouldn't be able to stop myself from turning it into a monster.
All in all, I think I pulled as many people out as occasions when I got stuck myself. One thing that does shine through though  - well two things actually, is the quality of the Toyota product. They just don't make the same horrendous grinding noises and clunks and bangs that others do and secondly, there are a great many people who think 'Off road, must get a Landrover' and then spend the day being pulled out ever 5 mins because they have no lockers or a winch. You know the phrase, 'all the gear and no idea', well today it was 'no gear at all and frankly clueless'.

Here's a couple of vids of me playing. Nothing spectacular but a lot of fun getting dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ogJefncgUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdXfBU3ynd4
aroscow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun, and no major broken bits which must be a big relief.

I ended up around the Lake District - did not realise how many nice lanes there were. In particular like the one the does the steep climb (really steep in places I thought) up into Grizedale, and the steep descent down. Made more interesting by snow, and the fading light.

Not much mud though. Thank fully.
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:

I do reckon that vehicles like Ian's 80 bog gobbling monster would have made some of these trucks look like toys. If I had one, I know that I wouldn't be able to stop myself from turning it into a monster.

Go on Chris, you know you want to!!  

I was out playing at the weekend and have discovered my 80 floats!  I was playing in lake again but it was deeper than I've ever seen it.  Usual scene  Land Rovers going round the edge and I aim for the middle.  About a third of the way in, with water about half way up the windscreen, the revs shoot up and the car slows.  First reaction was **** im stuck, but after a fraction of a second I realised the steering was very light and I had 4 rooster tails.  The old girl was doing the doggy paddle.  It took about 20 seconds for enough water to leak in and weigh it down.

There were loads of photos and videos taken of me repeating this throughout the day,  will post some links as soon as I find any that make it online.

There was also a mud run section.  We turned up in time to watch a Disco spend 20 mins winching out of it.  It looked driveable to me, was just about to dive in when a marshall in a LR90 came in from the other other end.  More waiting while he winched out.  My turn, straight through no problem.  A Range Rover then had a go, you guessed it - more winching!.

Cheers

Ian
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been telling people 80's float for years but I don't think they believed me  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Ian. Shame Jon wasn't there, you could have taken turns going back and forth. I just don't know what to do really. I've spent a lot of time on Lil Blue (and money of course) and I can't have two 4 wheelers on the drive. But I would just so love an 80. I don't do much off roading to be fair. I really needed LB to go shooting in. But with an 80 and a roof tent, I could actually do something more than both. Great for shooting in and camping at the same time. I could buy the one that is not allowed to be mentioned from Matt Savage. He might take Lil Blue in PX!!!!

C
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Awesome, Ian. Shame Jon wasn't there, you could have taken turns going back and forth.

Certainly Jon would blitz the mud run,  not sure a 6 foot deep lake and a petrol V8 would be the best of friends though  Very Happy
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

idrubie wrote:

There were loads of photos and videos taken of me repeating this throughout the day,  will post some links as soon as I find any that make it online.

There was also a mud run section.  We turned up in time to watch a Disco spend 20 mins winching out of it.  It looked driveable to me, was just about to dive in when a marshall in a LR90 came in from the other other end.  More waiting while he winched out.  My turn, straight through no problem.  A Range Rover then had a go, you guessed it - more winching!.

Cheers

Ian

I will see if I can get the video of one of the "ferry" crossing off my phone and into some viewable format. I also have a rather classic pic of 2 stuck Discos in the frame: the one Disco stuck in the mud run and another on the hill above stuck on a little cross-axle bump on the crest, both trying to winch free  Twisted Evil

Thanks for for having me along yesterday, Ian  thumbright  I had a great time seeing "Big Green" in action from the inside and the superiority complex that started to develop watching all the LR family struggling!  Cool  (Not that my 80 would have done much better!  Embarassed )

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:

I had a great time seeing "Big Green" in action from the inside and the superiority complex that started to develop watching all the LR family struggling!

Hi Andrew,

No problem glad you enjoyed it.  It does not take long at these mostly LR events for that feeling to develop!

One of the funniest I remember was watching a fully kitted out LR using waffle boards to cross an obsticle, co driver yelling instructions, loads of arm waving etc etc. Once they cleared it and were tidying away all their gear Toby just drove it while his wife was in the passenger seat reading the Sunday paper.  Classic all time moment  Laughing

Ian
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't floated the 100 yet but it's been over the bonnet, and for a few minutes at that while I tried to shunt a friends stuck LR 90 back out of the way  Very Happy  Need an airbag disable though because I needed to ram him harder and was getting worried the bags would go off  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Awesome, Ian. Shame Jon wasn't there, you could have taken turns going back and forth. I just don't know what to do really. I've spent a lot of time on Lil Blue (and money of course) and I can't have two 4 wheelers on the drive. But I would just so love an 80. I don't do much off roading to be fair. I really needed LB to go shooting in. But with an 80 and a roof tent, I could actually do something more than both. Great for shooting in and camping at the same time. I could buy the one that is not allowed to be mentioned from Matt Savage. He might take Lil Blue in PX!!!!

C

Your new red one has done some clever things.

loved this video of her getting a good washing...

http://www.border-crossings.com/site/gallery/videos/8_wetnwild_christmas.wmv
idrubie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of my swim are starting to appear.  Here is a fairly good one, it's starting to get a bit deep!

Ian
aroscow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a periscope planned for that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: