Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Removing drive shafts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31    Post subject: Removing drive shafts Reply with quote

Anything special I should know before I remove a drive shaft? Apart from marking the positions on each mating surface and ensuring these line up when re-assembled?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the rear? Nothing. On the front, nothing either.

Thought you'd had the rear shaft out already?

Or are you talking about taking the shaft off the hub?

C
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the transfer and the rear diff. Not had that out off yet but I will need to, along with the diff, when I get round to drilling out the diff oir filler plug.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - propshaft. Gotcha. Well, really marking all the mating surfaces up is really only necessary of you are taking the UJs to bits. The prop doesn't have an orientation. If you take it off and move the rear wheels so the the flange has moved, it doesn't matter. Each end had 4 equally spaced holes in it. This doesn't affect the phase of the prop. But having said that, I like to line it all back up to keep my head tidy! If you take the rear slip yoke apart, then that does need to be marked up as that can change the relative positions of both ends.

Drilling the plug sounds like a pain. Is there really no shifting it? Mine was tight and rounded but I got an old Whitworth socket hammered on and that did it. I would weld a nut or a bar onto it rather then drill it out.

C
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prop shaft! That’s the one (too late at night)

Cheers Chris. It was the taking apart of the slip yoke that I had in the back of my mind as something to look out for. But yes I would mark the mating surfaces as well just to be sure.

The drain plug is pretty badly seized. It is now round after multiple tries with sockets, gland pliers, mole grips and a couple of chunks out of it after trying to knock it round with a punch and big hammer. I didn’t have a blow torch on hand so couldn’t apply any heat. I’ll give that a try along with pipe grips before I revert to drilling.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

regthing wrote:
The drain plug is pretty badly seized. It is now round after multiple tries with sockets, gland pliers, mole grips and a couple of chunks out of it after trying to knock it round with a punch and big hammer. I didn’t have a blow torch on hand so couldn’t apply any heat. I’ll give that a try along with pipe grips before I revert to drilling.

There's a BIG Propane torch and a welding set (or two) here - if you fancy driving towards embra  Shocked

Bob.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:

There's a BIG Propane torch and a welding set (or two) here - if you fancy driving towards embra  Shocked

Bob.

Just noticed your a Scot  Very Happy

I'll get a replacement cartridge for my wee gas torch and see how I get on. It's not an urgent job as I'm going to whip the axle out again to check. I'll jack up that side a throw 3L of oil in before I refit the axle. I might even rig up some fittings that will let me fill it through the breather hole in future.

Cheers Bob  thumbleft
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

regthing wrote:
 Just noticed your a Scot  Very Happy

Shocked

Errmmm . . Actually I'm a Southern Softie, from an Army family . . But I moved to Scotland in 1972   Laughing

Re. filling the axle without removing the level plug.

You could remove one of the upper diff mounting studs and then inject the correct amount of oil via an oil syringe. A bit time-consuming but it would keep you on the road until you want to tackle the siezed plug.

You're welcome here anytime.

Bob.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just take the diff lock actuator off and fill it through there. It's about the right height.

Chris
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
You can just take the diff lock actuator off and fill it through there. It's about the right height.

Chris

Shocked  No! Mine works. Im not touching it unless it breaks  Wink

Plenty of options for getting oil in there in the meantime. More pressing things to worry about at the moment. CHeers guys  Very Happy
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:

Errmmm . . Actually I'm a Southern Softie, from an Army family . . But I moved to Scotland in 1972   Laughing

Well I'm actually Canadian but you've been in Scotland longer than me so you win  Laughing
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

regthing wrote:
Well I'm actually Canadian but you've been in Scotland longer than me so you win  Laughing

Laughing     Laughing     Laughing

I met Gary Stockton recently . . He's South African.

Someone suggested forming a "Scottish Section" - Some hope  Rolling Eyes

Bob.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly be nice to have some sort of Scottish event.
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

regthing wrote:
I would certainly be nice to have some sort of Scottish event.

To do what, though  Confused

We don't have Green Lanes, RUPS etc. so its difficult to host an 'off road' event unless we have a friendly Landowner somewhere.

I suspect a large percentage of the members aren't into 'off road', so what does that leave ? A road run ?

If we head for the usual scenic spots we'll have trouble parking a load of Land Cruisers and the amount of fuel used would be horrendous and bad PR.

I suppose we could meet at an Hotel for some tyre kicking and a meal. That could include some prizes for concours, modifications, etc.  That doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid.

I bought my Colorado because it seemed to suit my purpose - heavy-duty towing with five + people on board. I wanted an engine larger than 2.5 litres and good seating and stowing space. I didn't buy it because I have a hankering for a Toyota and therefore I don't particularly want to gather with a load of others.

I suspect I'm not alone.

Bob.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I'm not far behind you. Bought mine for reliability, boot space and occasional off roading to save long treks wearing my diving gear.

There is an off road school south of Edinburgh where you can turn up with your own buggy. Always fancied giving that a burl for a laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: