All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

A very rare picture!!!!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:05    Post subject: A very rare picture!!!!!! Reply with quote

Had a lorry crack my windscreen on the outward journey, and a head gasket failure on the return journey! So not one of my best days, just worried about the, ”Things come in three”, bit!!!!

Went to fill up with diesel, when she decided to dump litres of hot steaming water on the forecourt! Called the RAC who said that the gasket was letting in air, thereby pressurising the radiator (showed me on his pump tool thing…….not that one!.......which moved when the engine was revved……what!), and causing it to expel boiling water out of the header tank overflow pipe on the bottle. This then caused the engine to get hot, and cause the temperature gauge to hit the roof!

So I’ve got a windscreen and head gasket to replace……I would have been better not taking the day off and staying at work!!!!! crybaby  crybaby  crybaby
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third thing will be it's the head not the gasket  Crying or Very sad ,
aroscow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!!
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some tyres you got on there!! Shocked
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyson wrote:
Thats some tyres you got on there!! Shocked

Good old BFG's. I was tempted to see if I could drive on to the back without lowerering the ramp!!! Rolling Eyes
ignat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn sorry to hear it.   Sad  I sincerely hope its only the gasket...

TobyJug

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear mate... good luck..
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is only the gasket, as it had a new head put on about a year ago. The temperature gauge only shot up after I started it to drive off the forecourt, so hopefully nothing should of warped.  Sad
African Drifter

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 15:15    Post subject: Very rare picture indeed!!! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your damage, but like they say: "Even the tough needs a day off".
Nothing wrong to have the old girl on a stretcher once in a while.
Hope you get back on the road soon! You said the head had been done about a year ago, odd that you should get problems
with it so early or even at all for that matter. New head and matching gasket should give you at least 5 to 8 years without
any tiny glitches.  

Nice truck and nice tyres!!

African Drifter
African Drifter

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Very rare picture indeed!!! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your damage, but like they say: "Even the tough needs a day off".
Nothing wrong to have the old girl on a stretcher once in a while.
Hope you get back on the road soon! You said the head had been done about a year ago, odd that you should get problems
with it so early or even at all for that matter. New head and matching gasket should give you at least 5 to 8 years without
any tiny glitches.  

Nice truck and nice tyres!!

African Drifter
seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i hope its back on the road soon without too much money being used.

Joe
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Re: Very rare picture indeed!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

African Drifter wrote:
You said the head had been done about a year ago, odd that you should get problems with it so early or even at all for that matter.

I’m hoping that perhaps the gasket wasn’t put on properly, my brother said that the bolts had to be put on in a certain order?

Hoping to book it into the garage this week, so should have a better idea of what the problem is.  Confused  Confused  Confused
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the garage know what they are doing ? yes most if not all cylinder heads have a correct sequence for UNDOING and refitting of the cylinder head , before you let them at it with spanners make sure they have the correct info ,  Smile ,
also if they didn't last time make sure they use only a genuine toyota head gasket , many head bolts also can only be used a couple of times , I have seen case's of cylinder gaskets failing for one or both of the following reasons
1 - the pattern or non genuine headgasket squashes more than the genuine so that when torqued to manufacture specs the clamping force on the gasket over several hot/ cold cycles  becomes insufficient . This can be sometimes overcome by re-torquing the head bolts after a couple of hundred miles but is much less than ideal.
2- the bolts themselves become elastic and won't hold the correct torque over a  period of time , once again best advice is to use new genuine bolts with a new gen gasket everytime .

Hope it is something "simples"   Smile
African Drifter

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 22:00    Post subject: Brother is right! Reply with quote

Hi BigSi!

Your brother is right, the bolts go in a certain order and when they fit the new head they have to torque it to spec.  
They have to re- torque the head after a 100 or so miles to ensure all would be fine and no leaks or overheating will occur.

Just make sure that they did all that was required, if not they should carry the cost under their guarantee. Normally guarantees
are included in their new/reconditioned parts and labour.

Hopefully you wont spend a penny??

Please keep me updated, thanks!

African Drifter
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the warrantee is out (only had 12 months). The garage (where I also bought the vehicle), that changed the head never mentioned anything about returning to check and retighten the bolts? Confused

I went to a 4x4 garage today, but they weren’t interested in doing the work. Said that the tolerance were to high with a gasket change, and too labour intensive? Will try another garage tomorrow, if all fails, there is always the main dealer!!!! Shocked

Either way, I will ask them to use genuine Toyota parts. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: