Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Woking to Brisbane

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridayman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 13:22    Post subject: Woking to Brisbane Reply with quote

Hi all Smile

Do you think it is possible to buy and kit out a land cruiser to drive to Australia, for £10k (excluding camping/cooking kit)? What model, age, mileage would I be looking at?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 13:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ignat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10k just to buy and kit out a vehicle? Definitely.

£10k for the car, prep and for the entire trip?  Dont know.  

I guess you would be looking at an 80 Series.  Others will do the job too.

I'm going to travel from London to South Africa in a 90 (95) series (Colorado/Prado).

I've spent about £6-7k on the car and uprating the suspension, tyres etc etc and its pretty much good to go.  

You can give me £25k and I will spend it fitting out a cruiser no problem.  But most things are not necessary.  I've decided not to get a roof tent (they are like £1k), fancy African Outback drawers (another grand there too), winch & winch bumper (another grand+ easily) etc !  So I could have spent over £10k easily if I wanted. But then again I am cheap. Laughing

fridayman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignat wrote:
£10k just to buy and kit out a vehicle? Definitely.

£10k for the car, prep and for the entire trip?  Dont know.  

I guess you would be looking at an 80 Series.  Others will do the job too.

I'm going to travel from London to South Africa in a 90 (95) series (Colorado/Prado).

I've spent about £6-7k on the car and uprating the suspension, tyres etc etc and its pretty much good to go.  

You can give me £25k and I will spend it fitting out a cruiser no problem.  But most things are not necessary.  I've decided not to get a roof tent (they are like £1k), fancy African Outback drawers (another grand there too), winch & winch bumper (another grand+ easily) etc !  So I could have spent over £10k easily if I wanted. But then again I am cheap. Laughing

£10k is just for the car and prep. Is your £6-7k including the car?

I definitely have a lot to learn here... What years was the 80 series, and why should I be looking at them? Also, why are you using a 90 series instead?
ignat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 6-7k includes the car, Old Man Emu suspension, All Terrain tyres etc. I got it for just under £4k.  Prices have gone up now though but you can still get them for under £4k. You can get 80's for similar money too

I stand to be corrected here but I think the 80 series were produced from 1991 to 1997.  

I went for a 90 before I knew much about cruisers. I never even considered an 80. I originally was looking for a hilux but thought for similar money i could get a 90 which is more comfortable.  Having owned the 90 I've learned a little about the 80's and they are pretty good.

Bulletproof engines, comfortable not too thirsty as you might imagine etc. Yes, they are older and have more mileage than 90's but they are still good.  

Having said that you should remember that people take £100 bangers down to Timbuktu so any Land Cruiser will make it to Oz in my opinion!  

The consensus is the 80 is the best car overall. But a shotgun is the best tool to kill a rabbit, but there are other ways of doing it Very Happy  Its down to what you need. If I were to choose again I would seriously consider an 80, but might choose a 90 again anyway.

If you plan on sticking to the roads as much as possible then an 80 isnt essential.

fridayman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply, thanks.

Are the 80's 3.0 or 4.2's? Which one should I go for? And what is the max mileage that I should be looking to buy?

Maybe I should buy you a beer sometime and pick your brain Smile
fridayman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 15:47    Post subject: Woking to Brisbane Reply with quote

Hi all -

The wife and I (and Smint) are planning to drive from Woking to Brisbane when we emmigrate over there in 2012 hopefully. At the moment I am still trying to figure out which vehicle is most suited to us (and our budget...). I'm looking at Land Cruisers, Patrols and Hilux's atm. From what I've learnt so far Discos aren't really up to the job. We're not decided on the route yet. Probably the usual Turkey, Iran, etc and then we were thinking about China but it sounds like a bit of a ball ache and expensive, so will probably get a boat from India to Thailand/Vietnam.

Anyway, all advice on vehicle choice and prep will be much appreciated.

Et
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 Series definately the job, plus will be easy to maintain in Australia as they love them over there.

I used to live in Woking a few years ago moved around a bit since then mind you.
ignat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

80's are 4.2  (except petrol's - not sure what they are).     the 90 series have 3.0 turbo diesel and a 3.4 V6 petrol. later models come with a 3.0 D4D engine which is more efficient

Just in case you are still considering a Disco, have a read of this first: http://www.overland-rovers.com/ralphs-pages/trips-a-journeys/12-morocco2009.html

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Patrols are not as common here but popular in Oz .  Land Cruiser is your best bet but i'm biased Smile  

With regard to mileage, dont be put off by an 80 with 200k miles.  so long as its got its service history and had its big end bearings done etc it should be fine. I've seen some with less than 100k on the clock.  maybe 150k is average.  That will still give you a few hundred thousand miles of trouble free motoring Very Happy

TobyJug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 series...

but ehhhh surely that 10k does not include the trip...

Because it's about 24k miles for the sensible route, so a couple of grand on boats and close to 7k on Diesel....
fridayman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

TobyJug wrote:
80 series...

Because it's about 24k miles for the sensible route, so a couple of grand on boats and close to 7k on Diesel....

No, I reckon 10k will cover a kitted and prep'd vehicle. Total trip will be more like £20-24k at a guess.
TobyJug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

fridayman wrote:
TobyJug wrote:
80 series...

No, I reckon 10k will cover a kitted and prep'd vehicle. Total trip will be more like £20-24k at a guess.

aha all good then...
Yeh I think you can get a vehicle and prep it for that money...
I will be at about 12k when the truck is done, but that includes a full strip down, galvanise the chassis and re-build..
So yes 10k should be plenty...

I think you can get the trip done at about 15k depending on how and what you do regarding sleeping and eating.
I looked into it all very seriously a couple of years ago and think that you should be able to do it under 20k easy... but I am a wild camper, catch your own dinner type traveller.. Very Happy

have fun planning the trip though it should be awesome.....  Very Happy

ps... depending on the time that you will take you can work here and there in-between to raise some extra money.. There is work anywhere in the world, that is how I have always travelled..
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how rough we will be going because we will have an 18 month old with us. I will be taking camping/cooking gear with us, but I've heard that once you pass Iran the accommodation is pretty cheap and there are apparently very few places to camp (depending on the route).

Toby - what was your intended route?
TobyJug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow with an 18 month old....
Respect for taking that on...
Ours is 15 months but I would not attempt that kind of trip with him I think...

anyway rough route was going to be....

France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Belarus, Russia, Mongolia, China, India, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia,  Australia.. Very Happy
Although I was toying with the idea to ship the truck direct from china and then do the bottom bit there on rented bikes (or bought)...

It is not a direct route as I really wanted to see a few country's..

Maybe one day ay.... the missus might turn around and want to do that trip... Very Happy
fridayman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to emigrate over there so thought we would do the journey there overland rather than just flying.

From what I've heard Burma is a definite no-no. So its either through China (and pay for a compulsory guide) or ship from India around Burma. I'm not sure if I want to be tied to a guide telling me where to go and what to look at...
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with maintaining the 80 series here, especially if its a 1Hz motor.

Thing you need to be mindful of, and check out prior
1. Import tax and conversions required to ADR (Aust Design Rules). This probably includes converting speedo to Kilometeres.
2. Im not sure if your rigs have the heavy duty radiators, engine oil coolers, power steering oil coolers etc. Cars built for Aust are sometimes designed with these, and also larger sumps.
3. From India, you will arrive probably Fremantle, maybe Darwin. Its still a long way to Brizzy, especially from Perth. You would need to go either around top thru NT, thru the Central Desert Road, or across the Nullabor through South Aust, NSW to Qld.

BTW, plenty of 80 series diesels here with 400 - 500,000 kms on the clock, still going good.

Daz

2004 TD 120 GXL Prado
2006 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
2012 4x4 Dual Cab Hilux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: