Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake problem Landcruiser Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 0:23    Post subject: Brake problem Landcruiser Colorado Reply with quote

1999 3.0TD. My brakes were not to good so I changed the front pads, they were only about two thirds worn. On replacment and bleeding all round the brakes are not as effective as I would expect.
The pedal with the engine off is solid and near the top but on starting it sinks about half way down and is spongy. They do not pump up with repeated pumping of the pedal but when pressed I hear a hiss from the footwell area.
Is the hiss of air normal or is something leaking?
Not sure if mine has ABS or not, I've never known it to work if it has, is there any way to tell?
I have hit the brakes hard and it will skid straight but I'm concerned about an emergency stop if needed as the pedal has to go down so far and is spongy. Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Ray   Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 0:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lennytoyota

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ray,
I have never been happy with the brakes on my lc auto since the day I bought it, to much travel on the pedal and that spongy feeling, I have bled and bled the brakes rear last and front last every way you can think and the pedal is still spongy, ive checked all th flexi pipes to make sure none balloon under pressure and ive changed the master cyl drums discs shoes and pads none of the callipers are sticking. The only time I have a good pedal is when it loaded right up and that must have something to do with the brake proportional valve on the back axle.

As for the ABS you should have a warning light on the dash board that goes out when started, to see if its working do a emergency stop if yours is manual brake hard first then clutch in just before the vehicle stops, if its raining you should feel the brake pedal judder as the ABS does its thing.

I think its called diesel creep did you sort yours out have a look here

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17792.html

Lenny
Ray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I have concluded that brakes are normal and will have to stay this way. I eventually ttok them in to Toyota for a check and they concluded they are normal and very effective so I will just have to accept the way they are
regards
Ray
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Finally I have concluded that brakes are normal and will have to stay this way. I eventually ttok them in to Toyota for a check and they concluded they are normal and very effective so I will just have to accept the way they are
regards
Ray

Hi Ray

I think you will find the way the pedal feels is poss down to the type of compound on the pads, some are hard, and some are soft, but over the years of driving I think you will find the ones with the softer compound do give a much smother pedal, ok it is progressive, but as long as it locks the wheels I would not worry.

And as you say toyota says they are ok, I would stick with them.

Radiotwo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Landcruiser, Amazon, VX, Colorado and Prado insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: