Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

That is what a 55 looks like.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 55 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ40 GARAGE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:38    Post subject: That is what a 55 looks like. Reply with quote

Since the FJ55 Land Cruisers are meanwhile very rare i thought i share a picture with you.  Wink

Good Cruising, Peter
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice truck.

I know that the 55 is ugly as sin, but I love them. It was the first LC that I ever saw, serviced one when I worked in a garage in that late 80s, import from Africa, left hand drive FJ. Engine was slow but felt like it would pull you to the moon and back no problem.

Comfortable to drive, felt indestructable and looked like nothing else around.

Wanted an LC ever since, took me 27 years but got one in the end
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a red and beige 55 series in the film "Fifty First dates" its not a particularly mushy film so dont be put off by its title.
paulh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going through some old pictures tonight, and came across these of my old 1978 FJ.  None of the interior I'm afraid, but it was all classy black vinyl.  Very Happy

The photos were taken in late 1991 or early '92, and I'm sure you can deduce the location from the numberplate....

Cheers

Paul
1996 FZJ80
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Oman, didn't live there but used to travel to Muscat quite a bit as I was the country manager for a telecoms company. Based in Abu Dhabi though.

Where were you in Oman?.

Iron Pig looked good too, something totally unpretentious about them - just looked like they would do the job.
paulh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all over the place really.  I worked for a survey company based in Ruwi, but spent most of my time in the middle of nowhere on oilfields or with seismic crews.  We also did a lot of the 1:100,000 mapping of the whole country, so got to see a lot of it.

I met my wife there when she was working for the FCO, so got to move into the old British Embassy compound, tucked in beside the Sultan's palace in Muscat harbour - very picturesque.

Spent some time in Abu Dhabi emirate, in Al Ain and the oilfields round Bu Hasa, but never got into the big city much.

Haven't been back since '92, so if I win the lottery I'll drive down and see how things have changed.  Smile

Cheers

Paul
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think Oman will have changed that much, maybe a few more hotels though nothing to beat the Al Bustan Palace. Abu Dhabi and Dubai now there's a different story. Left the UAE in 97 when there was only about 30 smallish tower blocks on Sheikh Zayed road, Burj Al Arab had only just had the base concrete completed, Emirates towers were still only a twinkle and as for the Burj Dubai, no-one even had thought about it.

Seen some pictures of Abu Dhabi recently, the apartment block I used to live in which at the time was the tallest building in the Gulf (the Baynunah Tower) doesn't even look special now. Not sure I'd like it out there now.

Anyway, The UAE was when my love affair with the 80 series started although I drove a Cherokee at the time - 80 series were too new and expensive and my company wouldn't lease me one. Managed to break the Cherokee quite a few times before I came home - 2 new back axles, 1 x gearbox (Blew up coming down Jebel Hafit, Head gasket and fuel pump. Last vthing I did on the day before I came home was completely blow the engine all over the Abu Dhabi to Dubai highway - more smoke than you could believe, did love that truck though.

Should have had a 55 though, don't think even I could have broken that.
bj4079

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:14    Post subject: 55 series Reply with quote

I just love everything about the 55 series. It was powerful, roomy and reasonably comfortable, reliable and commanded a lot of respect on the road, which is no bad thing in Africa. I am also of the opinion that it is not an ugly car especially compared to 40/45 series. I would say the Mercedes G-Wagon is uglier. I am originally from Kenya and as a child went on many a safari in many LC's 45,s & 55's. My dad first owned a 3 speed with engine type 145 (3.9 litre, I believe) and later a 4 speed engine type 145 (4.2 litre I believe). The first one had two roof hatches and was great for sightseeing. The second one he bought from the Japanese Embassy and was a very well kept car in excellent condition. Both cars were ultra dependable and got you to your destination and also rescued many a stranded car. I have many childhood happy memories travelling in these cars and hence LC's have always been special to me.
I have just spent march & april in UAE during which I spent 3 weeks in Muscat where my brother currently works. I certainly prefer Oman as it is more traditional, with more varied landscape, Muscat was clean and of course no concrete jungle like Dubai.
Saw a few old 40/45 series in Muscat although not as many as I expected.
I was in Saudi in 1995 and saw the police still using 40's as their patrol vehicles. They mainly used big American saloon cars which were much newer.
Saw many 40 series in Australia. Many seem to have not only survived there but are being used as everyday workhorses/transport.
Regards
BJ4079
mightyfella

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone knows, is there a single one of 55 n the uk? love them  Very Happy
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly used to be but they were rarer than Hen's teeth even when they were new. Not even sure if they were an official import to the UK, all the ones I have ever seen have been LHD. I also remember it seemed to have the longest gear stick of anything I have ever driven apart from an 850 mini. I'm with you though, I would love one although prefereably a BJ rather than FJ. Think they made them with the later 3.4 B Series in them.
mightyfella

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
As far as i know it never came with diesel. Just to petrols: 3.9 and 4.2L
Its look like they are rarer then some vintage ferraris in the UK  Laughing  
I'll be happy even to get just a rusted body. I'd planted it on my hj60 frame    Very Happy
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked, it did come with the 2B engine although only for Japan.
mightyfella

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ,thats nice then  Very Happy  Good bulletproof engine
Interesting what type of back doors they have with that diesel? side hinged or bottom hinged?
I prefer later one, 'cos its better looking  Very Happy
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems from further investigation that the B Series was only fitted for the last model year so it would be one of the later ones but I thing the Ambulance Doors were available as well as the drop down across much of the model history. B series is a good engine, even used (a version the 15B-FTE) for the Mega cruiser.
andy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at item No 290435856105 on fleabay
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 55 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: